See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 3, 2015 via mobile

We are a couple and we stayed at this hostel for 3 nights. We took a private room and both the bedroom & bathroom were clean and we felt comfortable staying there.
Great breakfast every morning!
We were there in winter time and this place was quiet & peaceful.
The staff is super nice, helpful & generous! :)
We recommand it to everyone.
Thanks a lot!

Stayed: July 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frenchcouple41
Reviewed September 19, 2014

We stayed in the double room on the first floor (by reception desk) and had an abysmal 2 days.

Even when we first walked in, the room smelt of damp. Even the bed linen and pillowcases smelt damp. The room was constantly cold, so has serious ventilation issues (though there is an extractor fan in the bathroom). Occasionally, when you enter the room, it smelt of sewage - there must be plumbing problems. Worse, when we came back the 2nd day, we could clearly smell cat piss. There was a cat in the property, though we only heard it upstairs. There is however a 1 ft. gap under our bedroom door, so not sure if the cat got into the room to do the deed.

The room is not much bigger than the bed, so there is not even a hook or hanger to hang anything, let alone a chair or any surface area for anything else. You have either the bed or the floor.

Breakfast was OK, served by someone totally uninterested.

Room Tip: Don't go for the double room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2014, traveled as a couple
Kumana, Propietario at Valpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2014

My sincere apologies, our policy in the hostel is that you can feel good and comfortable, it's why within the rules of the hostel is "to ask for help if something does not like, or bothers you or seems inappropriate" if ud not mentioned anything, we think that all is well.
In this case we just change the room, for other one.
While we have a cat, abandoned on the doorstep, he's here meanwhile we found a home for him, and remains in an area of ​​the house not to disturb passengers, never leaves this area, so it is impossible to have entered his room.
We are really sorry about your bad expirience

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I have had the pleasure of staying at Valpackers during my time here in Valparaiso and it has been a really great stay.
Karen, the hostess is very helpful when it comes to showing you places where to go and knows spots that are away from the usual tourist destinations. As I am traveling alone, Karen also took the time to take me to one of her favourite vegetarian restuarants in town which I really appreciated and enjoyed.
The hostel itself is very unique and colourful, if you are looking for somewhere brand new and bland then this is not the place for you, Valpackers has a ton of personality and character and I fell in love with the decor of the old rooms. Despite the age of the house, the amenities are good with hot showers which have great pressure and a modern kitchen with an amazing coffee maker!!
The hostel is a short walk into town and close to nightlife. My favourite place, the merkada was just down the road which is a crazy market selling all kinds of fruit and vegetables (vego heaven!!)
I am sad to be leaving Valpackers as I have really enjoyed myself here and have ended up staying longer than I expected. I would recommend this hostel to anyone looking for an authentic visit to Valpo.

Room Tip: My room near the back was quiet and got the sun during the day!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank JessMCurrumbin
Kumana, Propietario at Valpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2015

Thank you very much for your post, we are really happy to make you feel nice here at th hostel.
;)

Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at Valpackers hostel in Valpo for 10 days in April, and we loved it! This place is decorated very nicely and creatively. It has a great kitchen where you can cook your meals and they offer you breakfast for a small price. The living room is a nice room to relax in and meet fellow travelers equip with leather couches, computer and TV.
Karen, the owner, is wonderful and will help you with anything you need. She even showed us the "real Valpo" which was great to see. (Also, ask Karen about the Machas! They are delicious razor clams baked with parmesan cheese). They will be running tours of the "real Valpo" so it is definitely something to check out! Also, the hostel is perfectly centrally located. Close to the Francia metro station (The train takes you to Vina del Mar, is only a few stops down the tracks and a nice half-day trip). There is an amazing daily famer's market to get your fresh veggies, fruit, cheese, fish, just a few blocks away. We liked staying here much better than in the super touristy Cerro "Conception" and "Alegro". Although those districts were nice to visit they failed to give you the proper view of daily life in valpo. As we are true culture enthusiasts. We felt completely safe at all times and liked having a central location to see all of Valpo and the surrounding areas. We miss the hostel and Valpo already and cannot wait to return one day! We highly recommend this to anyone especially to our friends and family. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Somos Estadounidenses. We got her and were a little concerned about the location, because it was kind of on the wrong side of town. However, the hostel was very nice, except for the very narrow bathroom stalls, but again, somos americanos grandismos. Sebastian was perfect, and even though his english was passable he had a visible hunger to make it better. Karen also was very nice. Other than the bathroom, there is nothing bad to say about the hostel. The beds were comfortable, the people were super friendly, the internet is fast, and they like GOT. This is a great hostel, although I would recommend speaking spanish both for the hosts and the surrounding area. Pedro Montt is kind of an MLK JR st for those familiar with the US. Charming and comfortable are the two words I would use to describe this hostel. 5 stars without location and four and three quarters if you speak castellano.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Kumana, Propietario at Valpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

I'm really glad that you were staying with us, your mother was a really nice lady, even when our location is not in the turistic area, we have tours showing the real Valpo, and sea wild life, and a little bit of Viña, part of our history.
and of course we love GOT is one of the best tv show now =)
I hope you can return to our country so we can show you Valpo =)