“A fabulous day!”

Chilean Cuisine Cooking Classes
Ranked #1 of 12 Food & Drink in Valparaiso
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We offer all inclusive Chilean Cuisine Cooking Classes and focus on traditional recipes that can be reproduced in your home. The class also replaces your lunch or dinner and includes excellent local wines. Classes are in english unless requested otherwise and take about 5 hours to complete including eating your meal. Each class includes a visit to the traditional markets with the chef for all the ingredients. We offer our Chilean Cuisine Cooking Classes every day and the experience is all inclusive.
Tacoma, WA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A fabulous day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had an amazing day with Boris! The cooking class was recommended by our hotel owner - we weren't sure what to expect but had so much fun choosing selections from a menu, going to the market by foot and by bus, and preparing what ended up being one of the best meals we have had in a long time. This will by far be one of our favorite memories from our trip to Valparaiso and was well worth the expense. We would recommend this highly! Thank you!!

Visited June 2013

Hong Kong, China
268 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 406 helpful votes
“One of My Favorite Cooking Experiences”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Billed as the culture capital of Chile, Valpo is the perfect place for a cooking class. Chef Boris from Chilean Cuisine Cooking made our experience all the better. We did a 5.5 hours class with him and learned to make two different types of Chilean appetizers, a main and a dessert, as well as pisco sour. The menu varies so speak to the school beforehand to plan/customize a menu that will suit you and your party. If the menu hasn't been pre-planned, Chef will sit you down in the kitchen and pass around photos of typical Chilean dishes for you to select from before the class.

We signed up for the combined market tour and class, which was great. I'm a firm believer that to better appreciate your food, you need to know where it comes from. Anyhow, Chef Boris brought us on a tour of the market before the class to pick up the ingredients for the class. You'll get to the market by local bus (so that's another local experience to add to your checklist). Note: Trust me, you probably don't want to go to the Valpo market on your own. It's chaotic, full of pickpockets and quite over your head (and I have been to quite a few markets in Chile and South America).

Back at the cooking studio, Chef assigns responsibilities and demonstrates certain techniques like handling the knife before we start. Along the way, he cracks jokes, we laugh and we drink even more. Our glasses are never empty. Everyone gets to make their own cocktails. We even had to shake the cocktail mixer and dance around the studio!

The food we made was superb. I had the best Pastel de Choclo, a dish I don't even like, here. The empanadas were also some of the best I've had (Chef adds a secret ingredient into the empanadas that his grandma taught him). I definitely recommend Chilean Cuisine to anyone even remotely interested in food. It was such a great way to spend the day.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Mei L
Seattle, Washington
“Great Adventure in Valparaiso!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We spent a beautiful Sunday cooking with Boris in Valpo. This could not have been a more interesting and entertaining day. I love to cook so I was intrigued to find Chilean Cuisine on the web and was even more thrilled to be able to book time! My travel partner is not much of a cook, but he really enjoyed himself as well. I'm not sure what we enjoyed more - the trip to the market, the prepping of the food, the piscos and wine or Boris! He was such a joy to meet! He even introduced us to the music of Violeta Parra which I now listen to at home and instantly think of that glorious day! I've already made two of the recipes from our class as well. A huge thank you to Boris and the Chilean Cuisine team for making our day in Valpo absolutely unforgettable!

Visited May 2013
Dunsborough, Australia
“Best cooking class in South America”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

After traveling all around South America doing different cooking classes I can pretty confidently say that this was one of the best. Boris conducted the class with great humour, great information and great style. The menu was fairly flexible according to the group desires and produce availability and we were lead ably through the arts of Chilean cuisine and the culture to go with it. I have since recreated some of the recipes successfully back in Australia. As a solo traveller I felt warmly welcomed by Boris and his team and came away with a fantastic memory of my time in Valparaiso. My only criticism was the Pisco sours and Chilean red wine were far too good to resist, resulting in a slow day the next day. I can not recommend doing this class highly enough as a way of getting to know the magnificent country of Chile and the wonderful people within.

Visited October 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“A perfect way to spend the day in Valpo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I had a great time cooking with Boris and the other 2 couples in the spacious kitchen on top of the Cerro Artilleria. Our first stop was to the local market to search for fresh fish and veggies and then back across town to begin to prepare the pastel de choclo, empanadas, fish sausages, salads and salsa, and pumpkin sopapillas for desert! oh, and, a ginger pisco sour as well as a green chili and basil sour. Boris sent us the recipes afterwards so we can attempt to recreate what we learned in our own homes. It was an intimate and friendly time with great food and perfect company! Definitely recommend this activity!

Visited May 2013