“Great Belgian food”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Antwerp, Belgium
“Great Belgian food”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

As Belgian and as being away from home for a long time, it was really nice to find this lovely Belgian restaurant with great food and beers. They have a nice terrasse in the shade, where you can enjoy your well prepared waffle, beer stew or cheese croquettes. Service is really friendly and fast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Berkeley, California
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Via Via Cafe is an ideal accommodation in Valparaiso's Cerro Allegre neighborhood. This beautiful Art Deco hotel is impeccably designed and has all the comforts one could ask for, not to mention, amazing food! I stayed in the Jardin room, featuring 2 twin beds and a beautiful view of the garden. The room was extremely clean, comfortable bed, nice pillows (a plus one doesn't always find in South America), a wonderful shower, and furniture I wish I had at home! The highlight of our time at Via Via was talking with the owners, who were so warm and friendly they made us feel right at home!

We cant wait to come back!

Room Tip: Jardin Room is perfect for two friends to stay in, featuring 2 twin size beds and a beautiful view o...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Nice spot in the heart of Valparaiso gastronimic scene! The staff was friendly and helpful to guide us to the highlights on Cerro Alegre and gave us a sweet break with a late check out on a Sunday!
Recommend for easy going couples and for Belgium beer and waffles for tea!

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The location is right in the centre of the safest part of town, you will not get better in Valpo. The city is made up of hills, you can either walk up the hill to the hotel (not difficult) or take the ascensore which is 2 mins away.

The hotel building itself is totally gorgeous. It is very clean and modern.
The room I had was the twin room with 2 x single beds. It was clean and had lots of natural light from the beautiful big window that overlooks the leafy courtyard. The bathroom was spotlessly clean and is modern with a very powerful shower and very hot water.

It was particularly cold when I was there so the heating was put on for me in my room and it was perfect.
I had no problem with noise as another reviewer had mentioned (apart from other guests stomping around and being inconsiderate!)

The breakfast was so large that I didn't need to eat again until the late afternoon.

The staff were very helpful, from the cleaning staff and kitchen staff, right through to the manager Loita. Everyone was good. In particular, the night manager Jean was extremely good at her job, providing a very high level of customer service, friendly and efficient and an asset to the hotel.

The only downsides I experienced were finding a stain on one of the bed covers (which was hidden by the towel placed on the bed when I arrived) the towels could been cleaner by my reckoning and the restaurant is a confusing add-on business that does not appear to know what it is doing, which is a shame because it could be quite good! I had one of the legendary waffles here and it was amazing. I highly recommend spoiling yourself with one of these!

I also took a recommended private tour which was the best thing I did in Valparaiso by far!! Here is the link :: www.myvalparaiso.cl/ or see my review on here for MIchael The German Pirate

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed in "El Aconcagua" room for 2 nights. We chose this hotel because of its close proximity to the sites and restaurants that interested us in Valparaiso, and also because of the views available from the property.

We were definitely pleased with the location, being able to walk just about everywhere we wanted to go. The property is on a steep hill and requires a lot of stair climbing, so take that into consideration if this is something you can't handle. The hotel can be accessed from two locations - the street above (Paseo Dimalow) and the main street below (Almirante Montt). If arriving with luggage via a taxi, I suggest getting dropped off at Dimalow because it's easier to carry bags down stairs than to carry them up. Dimalow is a pedestrian street, so you'll have to walk about 150 feet to the hotel entrance from where the taxi can drop you off at the intersection of Almirante Montt and Dimalow.

El Aconcagua is a good-sized room with a balcony and partial view of the bay. The en-suite bathroom was tiny, with no counter space other than a small corner shelf. The shower was so small that my wife and I would accidentally hit the faucet and adjust the water when moving, and we're below-average sized people. Also El Aconcagua has only one small mirror, a 10" square one in the bathroom. Installing a full-size mirror somewhere in the bedroom would be nice.

While the location is superb, it comes at the cost of street noise. Valparaiso experienced above-normal temperatures (about 80 degrees F) on our first day, so we wanted to keep the windows open at night as the property has no air conditioning. Noise from people in the street and also the overnight hotel staff member spraying the patio kept waking us up. We eventually closed the windows but still could hear the street noise. The next night was cooler, so we kept the windows shut and slept with ear plugs, which worked out fine.

Wi-fi is supposed to be available throughout the property, but the router that services the upstairs rooms wasn't configured properly, so we had difficulty getting internet access from our room. I mentioned this to staff, but they didn't seem to have anybody available who could look into it. We were able to get a weak signal from the router that services the loft, but it was not very reliable due to the distance.

Note that breakfast, included in the room rate, does not begin until 9am. It includes cereal, breads, juice, coffee/tea, and sliced meats & cheeses. If an earlier breakfast is needed, an express lunch can be provided, but we were told that this would be very limited.

Staff was friendly and helped direct us to a walking city tour as well as the bus to the beaches.

Room Tip: El Aconcagua has a partial bay view, but tiny bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank longhorn_mike
Parker, Colorado, United States
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Had the best breakfast at the Via Via hotel. Real espresso coffee, mixed berries, fantastic bread. Sadly had to cut my visit short, so was unable to experience more meals. Great location, beautiful courtyard, great staff, and lovely grounds. Would stay at Via Via again and again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Culver City, California
Reviewed December 10, 2012

My son works in tourism in Valparaiso and booked us into ViaVia when we came for a visit. It is a beautiful well maintained hotel in the center of the tourist area with lovely staff and amazing views of the city. The room we stayed in was very large and had a full kitchen and separate bedroom. It is very close to a funicular which makes it an ideal spot for people who can't handle the hills of Valparaiso. And we couldn't believe how economical it was ( includes breakfast)! We couldn't have been happier with our son's choice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family