“Best free breakfast in South America”
Review of PataPata Hostel

PataPata Hostel
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

3 of us stayed in this small friendly hostel. You can't help but befriend your fellow guests as this hostels communal areas are quite small. Location is decent and you pass it on the walking tour - the "we're not hippies we're happies" sign is right outside. Breakfast is amazing so don't drink too much and sleep in.

• Stayed: April 2014
There are newer reviews for PataPata Hostel

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a very good time with my girlfriend. Very good service, nice people, travelers from around the world. It felt secure. We rented a private room, it was a bit small, but that was not a problem, the one thing we did not like was that our room had no windows, something that no one told us before we went there. The other thing was that the patio had a great number of flies flying around, and that problem could easily be solved but no one seemed to care.
All and all a very good experience with some minor problems. I'd recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with at least one window!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed here for New Years Eve. There was a 4 night minimum I had to book, but other didn't, which was annoying. The breakfast is small, but nice. They have a great patio to relax on and play cards. While I was there everyone was very friendly and social. Its a short walk to the ascensadors, and it is right in historic part of the city. If you are going at new years, I would recommend not paying for a dinner, as the only person I met who did was extremely disappointed with it.

The rooms are comfortable buy spartan. The lockers were spacious enough, but one was broken in my room. If it is cold and the patio isn't comfortable to hang out on, this hostel could feel pretty cramped. There is a kitchen too, which is also quite small. There is a 24 hour cancelation policy which they are pretty strict about.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The hostel itself is not the bestest in the world, but bed and rooms are ok, the bathrooms could be a little cleanier and one more of those couldn't hurt either, considering the amount of guests this place can hold. Very good location.
The breakfast, though, is what would make me come back anytime. It will be prepared by the staff for you. I stayed two nights, and thus had two breakfasts. We would get coffee or tea, a milkshake with custard apple, a little bowel of cut up fruit (slices of bananas, apples and a strawberry), and a huge sandwich with avocado cream and tomatos (the second day it was cheese and tomatos). It was a lot and it was tasty. With that breakfast you can skip lunch and actually save money.
After checkout I wanted to stay for a bit longer, using the WiFi. Apparently you have to pay for that after checkout, but I just kept hanging out for a while, talking to the people in the small common room, using the WiFi anyway... But that kind of mentality of the staff definitely makes this place lose a point.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Patapata. Our room was clean and tidy and had a nice view, and the staff were friendly and helpful. They put on a great breakfast for us each morning. The hostel is well located, close to many good restaurants, bars and other attractions.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cgolding1
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Good thing: breakfast, location, people (I've met).
Bad thing: beds, uncomfortable there were bedbugs! When I reported it to the the reception, they basically said they heard it before and that it was bad luck. No refund or anything. The reception was a little disappointing anyway. I guess it were college kids doing it for their winter holidays, they didn't take their job really serious and were really unprofessional. Bathrooms dirty, water doesn't get hot, a lot of times no toiletpaper.
For the price I guess it's okay, and I've met some nice people, but after all the positive recommendations I've read, I was slightly disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Good place, well located in the "interesting" part of VP. Nice people, good accommodation (we had a private room). Food was OK, Chilean breakfast is not our scene, but the coffee was fine and the fruit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family