“Try this place at least once in your life”
Review of Luna Sonrisa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valparaiso
Luna Sonrisa
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Three of us (all over 60) shared the top apartment and it was fine. It would also be great for a family. Janak was welcoming and helpful. It is a short walk to most of the attractions and the area itself is one of the most interesting in the city. The breakfast was good and we managed to park right outside the building. NB the building in the photo is actually opposite. I'd go back and I'd recommend it to others. Kelly

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 11, 2011

Janak & his team offer an excellent service. Starting on arrival with a good map & explanation of what is where plus there are tours offered from on-site & they have plenty of local knowledge about anything NOT covered in the intro-blub.
Very reasonable price. We stayed over NYE and I was really impressed with how reasonable the 'price premium' for this place was, other places I had looked at were charging x2.5+ their standard rates whereas here it was less than twice the rate (and similarly reasonable after the NYE-peak).
We splurged and stayed in the apartment and it was worth it. Janak used to live there, and you can tell, the kitchen especially is excellent with a great x6-burner hob and good quality pots etc.
Good location too. A short hike up the hill but where isn't in Valpo and if you can't face the walk it's about 1.000 pesos in a taxi.
Our only complaint was the shower, because of the way it is set-up it's a bit of a 'shower curtains of doom' situation, which can be a total pain. Janak is well aware of this & has hopes to try and improve it in the low-season.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2010

This is the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in. The staff was also extremely organized and provides you with a map that includes recommendations of places and restaurants. The location of the hostel is also quite perfect on Cerro Alegre, near many of the best restaurants and shops. It also gives you the best breakfast I have had at a hostel. The hostel will even exchange money for you and book taxis, etc. It is not a party hostel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2010

As my trip wound down in South America, I was pleased to leave with a wonderful stay in Valparaiso, easily one of the highlights of the trip. The city is breathtaking, and there are incredible views from Cerro Alegre, the hill that Luna Sonrisa is on. The hostel is close to many good restaurants, which was a definite plus.

I appreciated the cozy atmosphere. While I definitely enjoyed the party hostels in Santiago, BA, Mendoza and the like, it was nice to have a few peaceful nights of good conversation with guests and a good night sleep.

The breakfast was easily the best I had in South America -- real coffee (a luxury), homemade wholemeal bread and delicious local fruit. The staff is kind and helpful and showed me some of the "hidden treasures" of Valpo. The dorm is also quite roomy with single beds instead of bunks which I definitely appreciated.

Highly recommend Luna Sonrisa!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2010

I think this is a top place to stay. I had a really good time here and would recommend it to anyone. One of the things I like best about Luna Sonrisa is that it is in one of the best places in Valparaiso, on Cerro Alegre. You get great views of the sea and the city, and on a clear day can see right to Aconcagua! Luna Sonrisa is a really nice place. The room I stayed in was very tidily presented, a nice size, and the whole place is painted lovely colours, Mediterranean-style. Very tasteful! Plus the breakfast is top - seems like the owner's wife runs a bakery or something, so you get these wonderful wholemeal breads which for anyone travelling arouund Chile is not always the case!!!! The owner himself is quite a find, Janak, who write the Footprint guide to Chile so he has lots of info which I used when I travelled north to the desert. Great oplace to stay in one of my favourite places I saw in Chile,.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 19, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights in a double room with private ensuite. We were really happy with the facilities, location, service, privacy, tours (we went to Casablanca Vvalley, Isla Nagra & Quintay with Iris the German tour guide arranged by the Hostal) and particularly the excellent breakfast and conversation with Juan Carlos!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2010

The breakfast was really good, great bread and coffee. The fact it has a really good and clean kitchen was a big bonus for us. They also have a good laundry service. It was clean, quiet, safe, the staff were knowledgable and it has wi fi.
The rooms and bathroom were comfortable and there's no cable. The location is okay, you would much prefer to be in the hills with the better restaurants and cafes.