“My favorite year after year”
Review of Baco Vino y Bistro

Baco Vino y Bistro
Ranked #29 of 4,702 Restaurants in Santiago
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Providencia
Santiago, Chile
“My favorite year after year”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been going to Baco for 5 years and it remains in my top 5 in Santiago. The food and service are always great and consistent and the atmosphere is warm and comfortable. It's the only restaurant in Santiago that gives you water without asking and constantly refreshes your glass. The wine menu is extensive, including the menu by the glass. It's also a great place to bring a bottle from your own wine collection, the corking fee is around $8000. Some of my favorite dishes are the salmon tartar, cote de cerdo, and the tart tatin. This last time we arrived without a reservation and there were no tables. The offered for us to wait at the bar. Although the service was a little slower at the bar, they were still very attentive and friendly and we decided to eat our entire meal there.

• Visited August 2013

• Korean first
Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
“Great food, mediocre service”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I come to Santiago a few times a year and I always stay in Los Leones, which is where Baco is located. Among other restaurants in Santiago, Baco is by far one of the best. The filet is outstanding, the soups are amazing, and the wines are wonderful. The atmosphere is pleasant and the crowd is lively (sometimes too much so). But despite numerous exquisite visits, I have to finally admit that the service is quite poor. I always make a reservation 1 or 2 days in advance and I always eat alone. I don't mind the table in the corner away from the crowd at all. But the waitstaff is extremely slow, forgetful, and generally incompetent. On most visits, they either bring the incorrect dish or wine that I ordered or they bring something prepared in a different way. This week, I ordered a steak cooked well. It came out hardly cooked. When I sent it back, they brought a completely different steak cooked through. Clearly the waitress grabbed the wrong plate. Last night, I received the wrong wine (ad at $15 a glass, it should be the right glass!). And tonight, they completely forgot my order. I never got my soup. They charged me for it, and when I asked them to take it off since I never received it, they did not apologize or offer some compensation...no, in fact, they appeared mad that I would leave without waiting more. It had been an hour. It is really too bad that such good food is brought out by such incompetent individuals. This restaurant could be top notch. But alas, it is not.

• Visited August 2013
Santiago, Chile
“Very good food, service is friendly if a bit overwhelmed”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My brother-in-law is French and he loves going. We've been there several times. The food is invariably good (try the duck and foie gras), and the prices are reasonable for Santiago. The wine selection is also good. The place is always full, which leads to some anxiety from the staff. A few months ago I reserved for a group of ten. When I arrived, I saw they had placed us in the cramped, undecorated and badly ventilated second floor. After some complaining, the manager put together some tables on the first floor and all was good. Overall, this is a worthwhile visit, but be prepared to be patient when you go.

• Visited March 2013
“Excellent!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Excellent relation price/quality, good taste and a big wines chart. Absolutely recomended for couples, friends, families...

• Visited February 2013
“A personal favourite”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Baco is a personal favourite for three reasons:

1) the service is incredible considering you are in Santiago.

2) the price of wine is about 120% to 140% of the retail price in opossition to most places in Santiago where they are established in between 190% to 300% of the retail price.

3) their sublime cassoulet.

I think is better if you go with a group since the lighting does not make it such a great romantic option.

• Visited June 2013