“Casi perfecto!”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Providencia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A sweet, upscale bistro in a nice neighborhood very close the the main street (Providencia) and the metro stations. Lunch was excellent, with a good selection of tapas and main plates, with an excellent wine list and superb service.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,327)

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Excellent wine menu. The food is a Chilean version of French food, but a good break if you are tired of typical Chilean fare. It was well prepared, if not entirely original. The entrees are a good value, and many can be easily split. The service was quite good, and the ambience was lovely and open, but not too loud. I especially appreciated the low incidence of smoking on the ample patio space, since I often don't get to sit outside in Chilean restaurants because of the smoke.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Every time I visit Santiago I go to Baco, and over the past year and a half it's been a roller-coaster experience. I raved over my first visit (5*) in Oct. 2011, and then complained bitterly about the changes I saw in April 2012 (2*). Well, I went back a few days ago and the signs are good. The new, much bigger layout is looking good, and with all the outside seating it's really nice on a summer evening.
The menu has never really changed much, but the food quality is getting closer to what it was my first time there.
I went with 2 Chilean colleagues after work, mid-week, and early (8:00 pm), so the place was quite empty when we arrived (without a reservation). It did fill up more later though, but definitely there weren't as many people as in the old days - back then without a reservation you would have had no chance.
The wine (by the glass) choice has changed. There are about the same number of choices, but the quality is better than the last time I was there. I 'sampled' 3 (a white and 2 reds, and I also tried my colleague's Rose - which was very good), and they were impressive. The Carmenere Errazuriz Max Reserva Estates 2010 was my favourite with my steak. In fact I bought a couple of bottles to take home (but not from Baco's shop).
The food we had was good: A starter - the Canard (duck) plate for 3 was very good. I had a steak with Béarnaise sauce, which was a good size and cooked right. The sauce was good too.
I had Crepe Suzette for dessert, and this was also good.
So, the wine, and the food were good, and the restaurant itself is looking better too - more than double its old size. The prices are about the same as before though - I paid 70,000 CLP (€110) for 3 3-course dinners, with 3 glasses of wine each and water. So pretty good value for Europe, but medium level for Santiago. It's certainly possible to get better (bigger and juicier) steaks much cheaper elsewhere (see my review on La Hacienda).
So everything is good. I would say though that the staff is definitely still in the learning phase. Lots of waiters/waitresses, but somehow the service doesn't feel good. It's all so 'impersonal' and remote. I left a 10% tip (not included in the amount I mentioned earlier), but really no one did anything to deserve it. Still, at least it's a big step towards what it used to be, and I can recommend it.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We arrived in Santiago on New Year's Day...so, of course, not much was open. Baco was walking distance from our hotel, so we decided to give it a try. We've traveled in France quite a bit so didn't expect much...Boy were we surprised!

Modern decor, there is a patio area out back in addition to the restaurant. Be careful! Those hot Santiago summer days turn cool quickly!

I can't remember what we had: pate, white beans something, lamb chops...and more. It was all excellent and truly on of the best meals we had on our trip (Patagonia). Of course, the wine list was quite good...Chilean, Argentinian.

The waitress was only moderately helpful with limited English. Can't remember what we paid, but - in general - we found prices throughout Chile somewhat expensive.

We would definately go back!!!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My wife and I had an exceptionally memorable New Year's Eve dinner here while visiting Santiago. The restaurant has a pleasant, modern interior with a very nice, quiet courtyard hosting the outdoor tables and big, huge windows which can be opened up to "bring the outside in." Unusual for Santiago, Baco features a very good selection of wines by the glass.

We elected to share a series of appetizers for dinner while being walked through the wine list by an English speaking waitress who did an outstanding job of discussing the flavors and merits of their various selections. Our particular interest was the wine by the glass so that we could sample as many Chilean wines as possible.

The food was genuine treat. Our favorite was the duck appetizer with duck prepared in 4 different and interesting ways. Combined with the outstanding wine recommendations, it was one of the most exceptional meals we have had.

One thing to consider when dining at Baco is that the pacing in the restaurant was targeted at a 3-4 hour meal. And, indeed, we spent more than 3 hours there. While, I, personally have no complaint about it, North American sensibilities about frequency of visits by waitstaff and speed of service will need to be relaxed or visitors will be setting themselves up for disappointment.

Reservations recommended. It is popular, particularly in the later hours of the evening as the normal Chilean crowd comes in. This is a local establishment, not a tourist place so not all of the waitstaff will speak English. Everyone was friendly and helpful however.