“One of my favorite SA hostels”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal de Sammy

Hostal de Sammy
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santiago
Hostal de Sammy
Ranked #254 of 475 Specialty Lodging in Santiago
San Francisco
“One of my favorite SA hostels”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2008

Although I didn't read the other reviews here before staying at Sammy's, I wonder if they stayed in the same place that I was in. Although it's true that the building was in need of some repairs, I saw the owner was in the process of making repairs to some of the rooms and bathrooms. This in addition to finding time to cook breakfasts (splendid pancakes!) and the baking the occasional batch of choc chip cookies. The living room had this huge TV with more movies than I've ever seen in a hostel, a computer room with good working computers and fast internet, and (in my opinion) a very helpful staff. The only real downside was the location of the hostel but this wasn't enough to deter me from coming back. It was in a nice area and safe (they are next to the police station). I'll definitely be coming back on my way out of SA!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Business
Valparaiso
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

After 6months of travelling in South America, this is definitely one ofthe greatest disapointments. We were promised so much through the brochure and website and none of it came through. On arrival we had to wait over and hour past the check in time, when we enquired why, they said that the room was being aired....this made us a bit suspicious to begin with. We were not at all surprised when we got to our horrible little room which more resembled a cell than a hostel bedroom. Over-all the place is very dirty and uninviting. With such a shortage of bathrooms, you would expect that it would be easy to keep them clean however this is not the case either. needs a lot of work as well as a sign outside so that you can find the place to begin with. If i could give it zero stars, i would.

• Liked — Quick Internet and of course the door out of the place
  • Disliked — dirty dirty dirty
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Jack82

Travelers are raving about these Santiago hotels

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

Hostel de Sammy has the overall ambience of a somewhat crowded college house. Not a college dorm, but the kind of house people might rent and share during college. There's fast internet access, a nice big game room, and occasional free pasta meals (on Mondays when I was there). Unfortunately the heating, level of cleanliness, and privacy all leave quite a bit to be desired. I was in a single room but there was no curtain on the window (I was told that no one could look in)!

The location is also a bit out of the way, particularly if you're only stopping over in Santiago (as many travelers do). Also, the fact that it's run by an expatriate American (who is somewhat gruff to put it kindly) and staffed in large part by travelers in exchange for board means they're not terribly helpful with local advice. I had a perfectly acceptable time there, and if you aren't too picky you might too, but unless you're on a very tight budget or looking for extremely basic accommodation (even by hostel standards), you should look elsewhere.

• Liked — The free fast internet.
  • Disliked — The bathrooms.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
Hastings
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2008

It´s a hostel, so obviously we weren´t expecting the Ritz. Neither were we expecting the filth and decrepitude that we were met with on arrival. Nor we were expecting to be barked at by the owner or made to
sign to a list of rules that made us feel like naughty children (one of these rules was ´thou shalt not have sex in the hostel´ - the suggested alternative being to check into a local hotel by the hour like some sort of common prostitute).

Our room was filthy with no curtains, a completely inadequate fan, no lockers and barely any paint. The kitchen and bathrooms were squalid. The owner was rude - anyone that has to put up a sign that says ´I know I can be obnoxious but if you have a problem I will try not to bite your head off´ has got problems.

No amount of free breakfast or internet could make up for staying in this hell hole - we had booked for 5 nights and were on our toes after
staying one (and we only stayed 1 because of horrendous jetlag).

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple