“Fast service, huge sandwiches”

Fuente Alemana Alameda
Ranked #19 of 4,862 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: Chilean, German, Fast Food
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Santiago seems to be all about sandwich lunches and fuente alemana is a classic sandwich restaurant. You sit at a bar disk and someone will likely stand behind you waiting to get your seat. The sandwiches are very large with lots of avocado and mayo (palta mayo). The service is fast and the food is good, for what it is.

4  Thank UE_DC64
Write a ReviewReviews (1,845)

Reviewed April 30, 2014

While in Santiago, I had to try the famous Lomito from Fuente Alemania. I had seen it on a travel show and it sounded good. I had the Lomito completo which is a decent sized sandwich of sliced pork with a serving of toppings included a heap of mayo. It may not be the largest sandwhich here in Chile but with a good beer to go with it, it is very filling.

The price seems a bit high but it tasted good. There are more locations than this one. During busy hours you may encounter standing room only.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We went here because (1) Bourdain did and (2) it was a block from our hotel. Actually, we went here twice.

Atmosphere can be only be described as deliciously hectic - customers slicing away at the sandwiches and swinging back brews as babushkas in the middle barely keep up with the grilling and slopping of condiments on the mounds of mouthwatering meat mounds.

We went here twice because I forgot to note what Bourdain ordered the first time - so I ordered a churrasco completo. Essentially about a pound of sliced beef, grilled to perfection by an adorable old senorita, placed on a warmed bun (which she previously slathered with industrial amounts of mayo and diced tomatoes), covered with sour kraut, and finally dressed with a second bun. Unfortunately, I found the beef to be rather bland, and thus we had to return - if only to validate our general respect and appreciation of Tony.

We re-watched the episode and realized the error of our ways. What we *should* have ordered was a lomito! Another mound of meat (this time - sliced pork that has spent a respectable amount of time simmering in it's own mouthwatering porcine juices), also covered in behemotic amount of mayo and tomato slop (I use this term endearingly). It was delightful! The pork was tender and flavorful - much better than the rather disappointing beef. We also ordered a Rumano - a sort of burger like seasoned patty made of beef, pork, garlic, and undetermined spices. Same toppings.

Frankily, my favorite was the Rumano. My wife preferred the Lomito.

Note on the sandwiches - they give you a fork and a knife for a reason. Do not attempt to eat with hands. Don't even think about it. These ginourmous slops of deliciousness dripping of porcine nectar, mayo, guac, and everything else were not made for human paws. The bread there is really for looks, it is NOT a delivery mechanism.

You should go here at least once. You should NOT go here daily - unless you're looking for a coronary.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

This is a famous place in Santiago. There you will see the real santiago where students, white collars workers, "obreros", ... (a cultural mix) go to eat a delicious 'Churrasco'.
You eat at the bar and see the cocineras preparing your meal. This is not healthy but it tastes great!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My Chilean friends had been begging me to try it since I moved to Santiago. I had the lomito completo. It was easily the best sandwich I've eaten in Chile (that's not difficult to achieve, trust me). However, after Chile I never want to taste, smell, or look at mayonnaise for the rest of my life.

1  Thank nomadicniko