“Such a pity”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Las Condes
Reviewed April 16, 2014

So I have been eating at Cafe Melba on a regular basis for the last 5 years. It has always provided good food, good service and a pleasant environment. Unfortunately no more. The last few times I have eaten there I found two hairs in my hash-browns, the coffee machine was not working, no option of tea instead, no fruit juices and the toilets were absolutely disgusting. Blocked toilet with an abundance of pubic hairs, no soap, no paper towels, the hand dryer was out-of-service, the dustbin was overflowing and the bathroom had clearly not been cleaned for several days.
The previous Kiwi owner was also around but the new owner is nowhere to be seen. The service has gone native without proper oversight and in general things have gone to the dogs. Its such a pity as the Cafe Melba was always a safe bet for a gringo to get a break from the very average local service one experiences in the rest of Santiago.

4  Thank Bmwashere

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We used to live in Santiago and had frequented Dell's cafe and restaurant regularly....from what I see in other reviews, she has sold Cafe Melba which was my suspicion when we were there this past Sunday. Poor, slow, disorganized service, tasteless food and a menu looking like Rainbow Bright threw up on it. The charm has gone (we were at the Don Carlos locale) and I couldn't feel Dell's presence...if it is a group of businessmen as another commentator states, they will quickly drive away the loyal ex-pat community that thrived on Dell´s attentive service and tasty meals. It was something to be depended on...now, forget it...at least those that bought her restaurant seem to be doing a good job.

1  Thank RNAnderson403
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Even after reading the reviews below we decided to give it a go this morning. Boy were we wrong! The place has an excellent location and we were able to sit outside and enjoy the cool breeze. We arrived just after 11:00, given menus and told that they would find us a baby chair. We got the chair 15 minutes after we sat down. Our orders were only taken another 15 minutes after that. Whilst ordering we were told that there was no bacon, no coke and no mineral water - yep, great start! Anyway almost an hour later we received our order only to discover that they had my order wrong (just to clarify my husband is Spanish speaking so the ordering process couldn't have been lost in translation). Just before our order arrived our 1.5 year old managed to get hold of the milk jug an spilt it, we scrambled for something to clean it up and received absolutely no help from the staff even when the manager personally bought me my order with the corrected eggs on it. All in all the quality of the food wasn't bad but it wasn't mind blowing either our suggestion to you reading this is to find another venue.

1  Thank MegDell
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Cafe Melba was sold 6 months ago to a group of 3 businessmen that also have other cookie cutter restaurants. This place used to be very good, owned by Dell Taylor, so it cannot be claimed to be a New Zealand restaurant, as some reviewers state. It has gone downhill fast..........poorer quality ingredients, higher prices, disinterested service, sloppy presentations and questionable cleanliness.

They are living off the previous owners reputation. They will succeed because the clientele are well healed and will accept this kind of mediocrity, unless they know about food preparation, and very few customers do. Another restaurant to cross off your list of previous winners. Very disappointing.

5  Thank puccini1858
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The 14 day cruise ended here and I spent 3 days. The country is one of the few in SA that seems to have its act together. The city is very clean and an equal blend of new modern and old historical