“Authentic Chilean Haunt”

Ranked #144 of 5,011 Restaurants in Santiago
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My daughter took us here our first night for an authentic Chilean meal. She was distrustful of the cab driver, so we got off at the corner of the main street and walked in the general direction. You might find it scary late at night, as it is a sketchy part of town, but in general Santiago is a very safe city. (I'm sure when it was built, 100 years ago or so, it was a nice area). Probably it is fine during the day. We asked a couple walking by and they knew where it was exactly. The menu is the typical Chilean hangover food, congealed pork rounds, blood sausage, and other delights. They claim to be the birthplace of the Terramoto, so that was required drinking for us. The staff was friendly, attentive, prices reasonable, and the atmosphere is cheerful. You probably need to speak Spanish though, or have someone who does because this is "the real deal"!

1  Thank Charles P

Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is a classic part of Chilean culture. Here you can taste the typical food. I recommend you visit during the day since the area where it is located may be a bit dangerous for tourists at night... try it on a Sunday (less or no traffic) for lunch or early afternoon (the place gets very packed around 2:00pm, long and sometimes tedious lines to get in).

1  Thank Inkred20
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Their motto says it all- chicha y chancho are in abundance here. Forget your waistline for this almuerzo!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

If you like pork, this is the place for you. I took a break from eating lomito's for lunch everyday while in Santiago to go to El Hoyo instead. The menu is only in spanish so if you don't know spanish, make sure to figure out what you want before you go. My friend and I don't speak much spanish, but we got lucky and the guy sitting next to us spoke perfect english and helped us order. We got a giant pork leg and a dish that had perfectly season pork meat wrapped in big hunks of pork fat. Both dishes were incredible; however, I have no idea what they are called in spanish. I posted pictures of both dishes.

You also have to order a terremoto (earthquake) while you are there. It is white wine mixed with pineapple sorbet. Everyone in the place was drinking them and I'm sure it is because they are delicious. After eating at El Hoyo we talked to a number of Chilean people who told is the terremoto is an old school Chilean drink and you only really see them at places like El Hoyo. El Hoyo is as legit as it gets. We were definitely the only gringos in the place. We got a few funny looks when we first came in, but everyone was very nice and glad to see that we enjoyed all of the food so much. If you can't finish your pork leg, you can ask to bring it with you and give it to one of the street dogs if you can't store it.

If you are looking to get some good lomitos while you are in Santiago, check out the short story I wrote about lomitos in Santiago for my blog: http://3rdandb.com/2012/06/22/the-lomito-santiago-chile-2/

1  Thank TheJoshManning
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We eat in lots of fancy restaurants, so this was a great change. The place is an authentic hole in the wall. The food is all about pork and it tastes great. The service was great and it was good to see a waiter who doesn't ged mad when he's ready an you're not. Spanish only, but we're in south america so what.

1  Thank Laddiez