“Basic seafood in a nautical environment”
Review of Azul Profundo

Azul Profundo
Ranked #84 of 4,746 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: Chilean, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Providencia
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I had lunch here on a weekday, which is a pretty quiet time in Bellavista when many restaurants are closed. The hotel concierge recommended Azul Profundo, which our ski guide had also mentioned as having good seafood. We got one of the few window tables looking out onto the colorful street scene, which was nice.

The menu (bilingual) has various ceviche offerings and around eight types of grilled fish with four choices of sauces to accompany them. The server could not speak English but the lady at the bar quickly stepped in to handle our order and spoke very fluently. She recommended an octopus ceviche which was sprinkled with shredded cheese and came with an olive caper dipping sauce - it was interesting though we liked it better with the nice pico de gallo that accompanied the bread. The salmon ceviche was average. I had a very nice grilled tilapia with the caper/butter sauce though. We received excellent service, unlike some TA reviewers. I wouldn't say this is a must-go in Santiago, but if you are in the area and in the mood for fish it is a reasonable choice.

1  Thank SnowjoHK
There are newer reviews for Azul Profundo

Reviewed July 16, 2013

A very nice and basic seafood menu in a fun old fashioned seafood restaurant atmosphere. Sevice was adequate, seafood was fresh. Chilean specialties, Peruvian ceviche were good.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I went there after La Chauscona (Neruda Museum - I recommend, it's very interesting!). I went with my wife. Food is ok, not different of "modern sea food". There are thousands places like that.

Service is extremely poor. It's kind of service where the waiter takes the order (tip is on his pocket) and disapears...

It's better going to simple restaurants and honest service.

Be careful!!!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We actually dined here 2 nights, the first night of our stay we only ordered drinks and appetizers, since they told us we couldn't just have drinks and that we had to eat something. I didn't like that, but it was late and we were craving some drinks, so we stayed. My husband had the empanadas with cheese and shrimp, which were actually good, and I had the ceviche muito bon, that sounded delicious, but was actually bland and it only had 3 shrimp; very disappointing. The pisco sour was really good, but that was about it. The service was super slow, and you had to be looking for the waitress to get anything; very frustrating.

The second night we were there, was just because we basically had no other choice. It was a Sunday, and all the other spots were selling very heavy food and we were craving some salads. My husband's salad was really average, and mine wasn't so bad, until I tried the crab legs in it. It was disgusting... they were chewy and flavorless, a total disappointment.
We had to wait for a long time until the girl showed up so we could ask for the check, and she brought us the menu and asked if we wanted dessert. We said no and requested the check again.

So, the food isn't good and for the price you pay you expect something better. So, I really don't recommend it. We wanted to try the Como agua para chocolate right across the street, but we didn't have reservation and the waiting line was too long.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is one of the best places for seafood in Santiago. It might be a little bit pricey but it worths it.