“Great steak”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London
“Great steak”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

All we wanted was a good steak and that is exactly what we got. Slightly out the way from our centro location, but an easy, safe taxi ride direct to the door. It is a big restaurant - we preferred to sit upstairs. The flaming grill on your way in, is an indication of what is to come. What was great was that we were able to get a good steak by choosing nacional without having to pay more for Argentinian, We got help to understand that entrecote is our version of T-bone steak and it was perfect. Cooked exactly as asked for. The asparagus side order was delivered straight out the tin and cold, but when we asked for it to be changed to hot with butter it came back delicious. No tomato/onion salad exactly as we wanted , but they easily accommodated our request. They orgainsed us a taxi home. Excellent food, in a great atmosphere at a very good price.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank elsiek

Las Vegas
“Best Steaks in Santiago!”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I usually avoid restaurants that are hyped up by travel guides, but I thought I would give Las Vacas Gordas a try today and boy am I happy I did. It was absolutely wonderful.

An enormous flaming grill greets you as you walk into this two story building in a slightly run-down but quaint neighborhood. I felt pretty confident that I was about to have a great meal...and it turned out that I did.

The menu was exactly what one would expect from a steak house in South America. I chose a filet that was just beautiful. It was a large hunk of meat that was perfectly seared and expertly seasoned. If you're a meat lover like me, you might get teary-eyed when it's served to you...it's that appetizing! With the steak, my friend and I shared a delicious salad of lettuce, tomatoes, heart of palm and avocado and an order of sautéed potatoes, which were cooked to perfection. Even the bread was exceptional.

Obviously the exchange rate varies and costs can be somewhat subjective, but lunch for two was about $27.500 Chilean Pesos ($56.70 US at 485 exchange rate)...without wine. The quality of the food and the size of the portions make the price extremely reasonable.

I should add that the service at Las Vacas Gordas was prompt, friendly, and highly professional.
I have been living in Santiago on and off since 2004, so before my visit to Las Vacas Gordas my standard "go-to" place was Liguria (which, by the way is awesome)...but I have to say, this was probably the best steak I've ever had in Chile and I absolutely can't wait to go back.

Las Vacas Gordas, located in barrio Brazil in Santiago, gives even the best steak houses in Argentina a run for their money...and that says a lot.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Reid M
Prague, Czech Republic
“beef beef beef”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

great pieces of beef for hungry travelers. service in very good shape. grill is better than tv. but be carefull of the quality wine under 10.000 pesos

2 Thank tomas_pospichal
Sydney, Australia
“If meats are your go..This is a good place”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

This restaurant is to go and eat meats, they know how to cook it.
presentationand service are good. Value is quite reasonable.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank oscar888_10
Ottawa, Canada
“A wonderful experince”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

In 2004 on our first trip to Santiago Chile I asked the hotel concierge where local people go for a great steak in Santiago. Without batting an eye he recommended Las Vacas Gordas (The Fat Cows).

On arrival it became readily apparent that it is popular with local families with everyone having a fun time. This is a place to practice your Spanish but overall not only were staff friendly but very helpful. They have excellent Pisco Sours but be careful just have one or the morning after can be painful. What ever cut of beef you have it will be prepared he way you want it to be. For salads try the hearts of palm and if you order "papas fritas" (french fries) be aware they are done in beef fat so bring your statin of choice for your elevated cholesterol.
If you have room they have their version of crepes suzette which is a wonderful show of burning alcohol.
In closing a fun place and I have brought colleagues from work several times and all have had fun nights

• Visited January 2012