“Best find ever”
Review of La Chimba Hostel

La Chimba Hostel
Ranked #28 of 494 Specialty Lodging in Santiago
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Booked this hostel on a whim because we needed a place to stay after lollapalooza. First off this place is in an amazing part of town! Super hip with bars, restaurants and shops.

We stayed in a mix dorm of 6 and it was great. There was an "en suite bathroom" in our room as well as other restrooms with showers scattered throughout the house. They have a full communal kitchen downstairs as well as a lounge and an outdoor courtyard where you can find many different travelers resting from all over the world.

The place is really hip, from the "we dont' accept nerds" sign out front, to the old school Nintendo duck hunt system in the common room. Some of the bathrooms were super nice and updated, some were just meh, regular hostel quality.

The location is premium. Like others said its in a hip part of town with shops and restaurants and right down the street from the base of San Cristóbal Hill with the famous Virgin Mary statue on top and a great view of Santiago (if you can see through the smog that is)

They were very cool in keeping our bags safe after checking out in the morning so we could explore Santiago before our evening flight. I felt very safe here, they did a good job of making sure the gate would stay closed, and only students/guests would be let in. If you're staying in Santiago for one night or 4 i would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for La Chimba Hostel

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and actually enjoyed it. But I can not decide if I like it a lot or just enough to recommend it further. The atmosphere is very cozy, the place is decorated very nicely, I enjoyed walking through the rooms and staying here. On the other hand, it is big. Did not have problems with the orientation, but it is additionally expanding, you can see, that the owners want to make money. There are 3 houses all in all, but you do not have the feeling to be in a big construction, it is airy and with a lot of light.
The prices for the accommodation are not very low (11.000 CHP) and the laundry costs with 1000 CHP / kg so much like nowhere else I have been before. The breakfast is ok, but not more then that (bad coffee, cheap juice, marmelade, bread, kellogs, milk, sometimes bananas). Sometimes I had problems with the warm-water supply in the shower in the evening,but after going to another shower I always found one, were the water was warm.
The internet is good, but when some receptionists come to the idea to stream the hostel-music through the wi-fi connection....then you actually do not have internet any more. That happenes every second day or so.
The bellavista-area is really chilled, safe in the night and good for going out.The metro is 15 min. walk away, supermarket...did not see any, certainly there are no ones near by.

Room Tip: I suppose, the rooms in "casa 3" are the most modern ones, nicely placed and furnished, th...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Marcus W
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I stayed with my girlfriend in a 2 bed dorm at La chimba for 5 days and had a blast. Its such a unique hostel with amazing decorations and such a cool vibe. There were more than enough fully functioning kitchens and showers and the location in Bella Vista is tops.
Only problem is the wifi doesnt really work. But thats not the biggest deal ever right?

Room Tip: if youre a couple, save money by booking the 2 bed dorm. its just you two, but for dorm prices inste...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Not sure this needs another review, but here is my 2 cents worth. This might strike readers as patently obvious, but this is a hostel, meaning shared baths, shared kitchens, a rather maze-like layout and lots of people around. Its a great place is you speak little Spanish, lotsa English, staff was helpful and very chatty in the patio at night. I found it clean, beds and linen fine. And yes, we are coming to the big but here...it IS in Bella Vista. This is Hip with a capital H. We loved it, arrived on a Friday night, soaked it all in and then wanted to sleep. Thanks to some ear plugs and a location near the back of the second house, I slept fine. But I can easily see how it could be noisy. The place is like all of this neighborhood, older than dirt with noisy wood floors and high ceilings. But like the rest of the 'hood, the artwork is fascinating and you will be charged getting a chance to see it. I have stayed here before and liked the wine tasting event then. If you are weary or fussy..or a uber light sleeper, or old and carrying a ton of luggage, not the place for you. Visit Bella Vista, but sleep somewhere else.
WiFi works, even deep in the "back house:, (after some fiddling). Breakfast is Chilean bread, pbj, butter, nescafe, te, jugo. I can't comment on the price relative to the rest of Santiago, but I imagine it is well-priced. Taxi rides from the airport are about $30 US just as the staff said. Plus my communication with the staff was very helpful when I booked my reservation.

Room Tip: Ask for something quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2012

I arrived in Santiago from Auckland in January 2012 as an exhausted 'round the world trip' traveller on route to Brazil. I was very much looking forward to getting home asap since i'd run very low on cash, energy and general interest in the whole traveling environment. I didn't speak a word of Spanish, I was alone (for the first time in my travels) and this was my first time in Chile. I just wanted to lay low, in a safe inexpensive place while I waited for my connecting flight to Brazil, and onwards home to Ireland.

THIS TURNED OUT TO BE ONE OF MY FAVORITE EXPERIENCES FROM THE ENTIRE 8 MONTH TRIP.

The staff at La Chimba are fantastic. They all speak excellent English and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The atmosphere is mature (no drunken 18 year old rich kids), chilled (great music being played in the reception area constantly) and comfortable. I was welcomed by Simon (a legend of a Kiwi) at reception. He remembered my name throughout my stay, and every time I passed he stopped me to check that I was OK and see if he could help.

The beds are absolutely fine, clean and comfortable. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm- it was spacious and cleaned every morning(from 11.30). The breakfast was good. Fruit, Cereal, Tea, Coffe, Bread and spreads. Great value for money.

The location is excellent. There are restaurants, bars and bottle shops surrounding the Hostel. You can get hot food easily at any time of day, eat in or take away. Walking into the city takes 10 mins along very safe routes. The atmosphere in Bella Vista gets busy on the weekend, but the Hostel is secluded from the street with a large security fence, which opens into a really cool atmospheric beer garden (BYOB that is).

This area is not silent at night. Now this is not a problem really and won't bother even the newest of travelers. But it's fair to mention that from most parts of the hostel you'll hear music playing from some bar nearby. But that's because you are in Bella Vista, and Latin American music is everywhere, it's part of the character. I'm a light sleeper and honestly, it doesn't matter, you get over it after a few minutes.

I highly recommend La Chimba as a safe, comfortable, and fun hostel. I met great people there and really felt at home...SO glad I experienced Santiago in this way, it was such a pleasant stay. I can genuinely say it was my favorite hostel of my entire trip. Thank you Simon, Bridget, Joe, Diego, Andy...and everyone else there for taking care of me and giving me a fantastic climax to my trip.

Room Tip: If you book into a 6 bed dorm, you'll actually have a lot more room to yourself than if you book...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Arriving on a late night flight all I wanted was to sleep. Which was impossible since the noise coming from the night club next door made it seem like I was sleeping next to the speaker. Turned on the fan to drown the outside noise but it burned out in a few minutes. Oh, and there were hairs under the pillows when I first checked in.

Breakfast did not help much in their rating. Staff was ok.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2012

A deserved a highly rated place. Just nice - plenty of communal and outdoor space, rooms good sized, overall a friendly and quiet place.

Recommended.