“Nice little hotel, nice front desk staff, but avoid the so-called restaurant”
Review of Nippon Hotel

Nippon Hotel
Ranked #109 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed March 27, 2013

No problem with getting to this hotel from the airport, I used Transvip shuttle which had no problem whatsoever finding the place; despite other reviews. The driver used a gps, also the next morning picked me up right on time as well, plenty of time to catch my outbound flight.

The front desk guys (2 separate ones) were very nice and accommadating, letting me check in early; since I was just staying for 1 night; and also offered to let me eat the "breakfast", since I would be leaving early the next morning prior to the "restaurant opening"; that's when the ONLY trouble began.

The man that works this little buffet style thing, was rude and nasty, the food was dreadful, not good at all!! Dried bread, old lunch meats/cheese obviously sitting out since 1st thing in the am, so basically all I had was 1 little container of yogurt and a glass of OJ; so I get up to leave and he's like white on rice, right up my butt, insisting that I sign a receipt for 65,000CLP (approx $12); I repeatedly told him, that this was the one and only time I could take advantage of eating this complimentarily meal, he acted like he couldn't understand english as well. I adamently refused to sign for a bill for nothing basically and followed me, every step of the way downstairs, whereby he got pretty heated to say the least.
The morning front desk guy told me "not to worry about it...", so I went about my day around the sites, when I came back, a different front desk guy, started in on me about this same stupid meal bill; but after a few minutes explaining to him, he finally understood; but lord have mercy that was a royal pain in the ars!!!! Nobody should have to go through all of that especially for food that wasn't worth 2 cents!!

Anyway the hotel is sort of isolated away, but there is a McDonald's, convenience store and subway station all within a 5 minute walking distance, as well as local buses. There's also a nice little park close by as well.

Room is ok, bed was comfortable, and a lot of tv channels to choose from, many english speaking!! Also staff will let you use their internet service right off the lobby.

Overall nice little hotel for the money!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank tammyBaltimore_Md

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I called this hotel and was told they had one room left for the same day. To reserve that room, they asked me to send them my credit card details by e-mail, which is not very safe of course, but I did it anyways to be sure. Five hours later I got an e-mail stating that unfortunately a guest had not left..........and I was left without place to stay.
Evidently, that is a totally unacceptable treatment.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Oliver S
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This hotel is a really good value. Great service all staff is friendly and helpful. Spacious clean room. Bed is awesome you will get a god sleep. Breakfast as included on my room rate. The restaurant has excellent food. It is in walking distance of the bohemian neighborhood where you will find restaurants and bars. Close to the newest biggest mall in Santiago

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank patrick h
Reviewed April 18, 2010

The Nippon Hotel is clean, quiet, close to the restaurants and nightlife of Bellavista and a reasonable price for Santiago.

It seems to have undergone a renovation recently as everything feels modern. The WiFi is strong and fast, the cable tv more advanced than many hotels and everything still works.

The breakfast is decent, if not exciting, and the staff are friendly.

Only suggestion is get the staff to mark the rough position of the hotel on a map - the road wasn't on any of the three I was using and most taxi drivers were unaware of how to get there. It's a one minute walk from the junction with Vicuna Mackenna, just south of Baquedano metro station.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank swhale
Reviewed October 13, 2008

We just arrived from a week in Nippon hotel and I´d like to say that if you need or wish to be close of the main tourist spots in Santiago, and don´t care about small problems like oldfashionable furniture and basic accommodations so this is the right place to stay.
The Nippon is within 10 min walk to downtown, Cerro Santa Lucia, Bella Vista district and its many restaurants and cultural spots, Providencia and even closer to 2 subway stations. There are plenty of restaurants and bars in the neighborhood.
The doors now have card keys and a lot of cable channels in english, spanish, arabic and even japanese but no one in portuguese in spite of its many brazilian costummers.
The rooms are small but enough for two. Our had two queen size beds so we used one to let the luggage on and everything we dealt. It would be better if it had only one. Here, a problem: the bed linen were so old and the courtains a bit dirt and no blackout at all.
The the air conditionning and heating work ok, there are free internet access in the rooms and a nice karaoke bar under the building.
The staff is very friendly and helpful and really do everything they can to inform you how to go around and everything the guests need.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank tecfarm
Reviewed April 26, 2008

This hotel have a good price and an excellent location. You can go to any place of santiago by train, bus or by foot; it's very close of bellavista and Cerro San Cristobal, Cerro Santa Lucía, La Chascona (Neruda's house) and the best gastronomy of Santiago.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Thiago S
Reviewed March 23, 2008

We stayed at this hotel because it was a great price and in a great location. However, a few words of caution.... Expect to have your personal belongings and luggage gone through by staff when you are not in your room. We arrived and immediatly went to dinner, when we returned all the luggage had been gone through. We had our television turned on, air conditioning turned off and luggage searched on a second occasion. These instances occurred during the evening, hours after maids had already straightened the room. Our room coincidently did not have a key for the safe (additional people staying with us were also informed that their rooms did not have keys for their safe either). Money did go missing and we had to carry passports and jewelry with us at all times. Even if the hotel managment addressed the safety issues, I would not stay here again. The beds were extremely small and uncomfortable, there were no lamps or overhead lights, and if you're taller than 5'9' you won't be able to stand in the shower. I'm not a picky person, but there has to be better choices in this budget range than this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank AliciaandJack