“View from an oldie!”

Pachamama by Bus
Ranked #184 of 382 Tours in Santiago
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I have to admit to being a bit apprehensive before I set off with the bus in San Pedro de Atacama as I am considerably older than the average traveler in South America but it was great. I travelled south to Santiago and then on to Puerto Montt on the lake district route. Both trips were good although I would agree with the person who said the hostels are not always the best. However, the observatory more than made up for it as did the priviledge of being able to walk along the beach in the Pan Azucar national park with no one else in sight. Brilliant!

2  Thank Caroline W

Reviewed November 28, 2014

10 days trip to atacama and 3 day to the south, we had a great time with all the people, sometimes the hostels they recommend are not the best, but you have one more story to tell (spooky hostel Nomad) but we still have always slept all together in one place, just because of the vibe and energy this group had. Maybe we just have been a great group of cool people, but overcrowded bus with 14 smelly backpackers, now many new friends, was the best choice we could make to discover the chile. We have been to many places we could not visit with any other transportation. Dont expect to much from the guide, they are not professionals, most of the time just young students, but they suggest things, book hostels for you, translate and sometimes even cook for you. You can be always sure that they get the best price for you (observatorium, horseback riding, hostels, national parks, museums, all the tickets,...). I compared the prices we had payed with some friends who didnt take the bus, and sometimes they paid 100% more for some tickets and day trips like we did (observatiorum, geysires,...) But dont forget they are not tourist agency how many people think, all they have to do is to bring you from the the point A to the point B, but in our case they did much more... so I can say they are just the best and cheepest transportation service in south america!

1  Thank goran l
Reviewed November 10, 2014

A really nnice organised tour to the south of chile! The two guides Chimy and Rodrigo were absolutely perfect, very smart, kind and structured people! You will feel very safe and get a looooooooooooooooooooot of knowledge about Chile and Southamerica especially if Rodrigo is on board coz he's super smart and funny!
Thank you sooooo much!

Reviewed November 4, 2014 via mobile

I really enjoyed my trip with Pachamama to the South of Chile. Our guide Rodrigo was so knowledgable and really went out of his way to make sure you got what you wanted from the trip.We learnt a lot about every place we visited and had a great time. Travelled with a nice group of people and felt safe as a solo female traveller. If you're short on time there really is no better way to see a lot of Chile in a fun and informative environment. Highlights were surfing in Pichilemu and climbing the Villarrica volcano - fabulous experience.

1  Thank t87vet
See more reviews
Reviewed August 16, 2014

I just recently took the Lake District bus from Santiago. This was August 2014. The first thing I would note is that August is NOT the best time to take this route, as it is winter for Chile and the Southern parts were incredibly cold and very rainy. That being said, I did get to see the towns during their low seasons, which means attractions and restaurants were uncrowded. We often had the hostels to ourselves. During the Chilean summer, these same towns would be mobbed with tourists. Just realize that if you take this route in the winter, you will need to bring extremely warm clothing. You'll likely be sleeping in layers, as the hostels are generally not heated.

So, locations: the bus will take you to some fantastic towns including beach towns, volcano towns, and a fishing town at the Southernmost point of the continent. The landscapes are incredible and the hostels are well located. These are not luxury stays, but they're efficient. Besides, you can do a lot of your sleeping on the lengthy bus rides. I didn't hop off the bus because I just didn't have the vacation time, but if I visited in any other season I would do so. In winter it's not worth hopping off unless you're a skier or snowboarder because you have to wait a week for another bus.

Getting around: In general the driver was awesome and the bus comfy. They leave some seats open so you can spread out. Unfortunately, our bus had a problem and we were stranded for quite a few hours, which made us 6 hours late to the waterfall. We didn't arrive until 10pm, then we froze in our little cabin. The owner of the company showed up at a point to examine the bus, but we never saw him and he never offered any sort of compensation or apology for the mishap.

Guide: The guide was from Chile, so she knew lots about the culture and history, et c. She was also very friendly and positive. When I got a little sick with a cold, she helped me buy medicine at the pharmacy. In addition, she knew all the best places to eat!

Company: We had a diverse little group on the bus that included older people, a young college-age couple, and a couple young female solo travelers. No one seemed to feel excluded. I liked that we had the freedom to strike out on our own, but we could also go out as a group.

In general: This is a great way to get to know Chile if this is your first time there. It's not as in-depth as I would have liked; additional days in a couple of the cities, especially Valdivia, would have been great. That being said, I now know where to go when I go back! Overall, good value, amazing landscapes, great companions, but the company should be more mindful of its customer service. I would take the bus again, and plan to do the Atacamba desert at a later time.

1  Thank Nicole B