“I'm sure there's better options”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Diego de Velazquez

Diego de Velazquez
Ranked #56 of 198 Hotels in Santiago
Geelong
“I'm sure there's better options”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

Stayed here as part of a tour for 3 nights. The locations seemed okay but it was quite a walk to any restaurants at night and two nights we had to eat a substandard meal simply because of a lack of nearby options (to our knowledge). The rooms are very basic and outdated. It does need a refurbishment. Also our bathroom window wouldn't close properly and this led onto a small roof top which could have probably been accessed. This led to a small insecurity for us and I didnt leave anything in the room of value. It does have an in-room safe though. It is also quite noisy at night. There seemed to be a lot fo noise from the corridoor at times. However, the staff made up for any shortfalls as they were extremely helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DebbieGeelong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Managua, Nicaragua
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

Don't do it. The hotel lobby was okay; the rooms and hallways are very poor - old and in bad condition. In addition to that the rooms were very odd configurations; our group had 5 rooms. Some were almost closets; mine was just awkward. The food was not good either. It was fairly close to one of the nightlife parts of Santiago, but far from the airport. Just don't do it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marla_Kay_99999
Darmstadt, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed here for four nights during a recent research visit to Universidad de Chile. The hotel is very conveniently located, just 3mins from the next subway stop and 5 stops from the city centre. Close by are some excellent restaurants (see my reviews of La Biferia and Aqui Esta Coco) as well as bars, a shopping mall, banks, etc.
The hotel is middle-class, slightly worn out but clean and everything works. There is free internet, not that fast, but sufficient. Breakfast is good. What sets the hotel really apart is the friendly and helpful staff. I had a number of special requests, e.g., Air France (an airline NOT to be recommended) changed my return flight on short notice. Even though the hotel was rather full, I could get a room for another half day (for half the price!).
Tip: if you can pay in cash in US$ you don't need to pay VAT. Well worth going to an ATM and money changer!
My room was quite large, certainly more than 25 square meters. I paid 90US$ per night which seems quite reasonable.
Summary: I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 208 is large and quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Reiner H
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for just one night. Great location. Rooms are ok. Breakfast could be better.
Staff is friendly contrary to what others are saying, we did not have to carry our own bags. Wi-fi is slow in the rooms.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 27maria
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Diego de Velasquez is great if you get a discounted rate (which I did). I would never pay the standard, "four star" rate for the hotel.

Location: a bit far from downtown, but a great base for exploring Santiago (the "Providencia" neighbourhood is quite safe, and there are a few nice restaurants in the vicinity)

The breakfast was a 2-star breakfast.

One of the windows in my room was damaged (window handle broken).

Internet was slow.

Also you have to carry your own luggage.

So not a four star hotel, but a two-star hotel, and you should shop around for discounted rates.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Virginie_2012
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I lived for 8 months in a apart hotel managed by Diego de Velazquez Hotel.
It was a good stay:
- Breakfast included and closed to the Hotel.
- Internet connection in the flat was fast.I would come back!
- Hotel reception open 24h /day
I asked for an heater and for a stereo and they provided me in the same day. Very good service

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Enrico T
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

My husband and I spent four nights in Santiago at the Diego de Velazquez Hotel (Diego d V is the name of the street the hotel is on). We arrived late on a Sat. night and were worried that the music we could hear in our room on the second floor would be a problem. It wasn't and we didn't hear it again. The room was comfortable with a shower and sort of walk in closet area. The breakfast included peelable fruit, eggs, pastries, cereal, juice, coffee/tea--the usual but fine for me and was in an area that had enough tables for everyone. The area around the hotel had many restaurants and good public transportation. I would stay there again. The staff were okay; one gave me incorrect directions but then I don't speak Spanish and we may have had a language problem. Internet connection worked best in public areas. There was no fitness center thought it is shown in a brochure. I think we paid around $120 USD.

Room Tip: We were in the low rise section of the building. There is also a higher rise section. I don't...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple