“A real home away from home atmosphere”

Carmenere Eco Hotel
Ranked #2 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed here for just a single night before flying back home, but EcoHotel was one of the most memorable places I stayed over my entire time in South America. I arrived at 11.30pm and was given a personal greeting, iced tea and a tour of the facility (including the beautifully stocked wine cellar downstairs). After retiring early, the next morning I was treated to a wonderful breakfast that was made up fresh for me of pancakes and chilli eggs. The rooms and hotel itself are impeccable, but the service really swung it for me. It felt like you were staying in a five star property and, although I'd stayed in other very nice hotels whilst in Santiago, I found myself wishing that I'd spent it all here.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
5  Thank Ben F
There are newer reviews for Carmenere Eco Hotel

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have a backlog of hotels that I need to write reviews about, but this one was at the top of the list. It was, hands down, the absolute best hotel service I've ever had. It has a lot to do with the staff and it has a lot to do with the fact that there aren't that many rooms, so full attention is paid to all the guests.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Elissa H
Reviewed June 11, 2014

But that said, there are plenty of bed and breakfasts out there with a couple of rooms, but the service at Carmenere is absolutely phenomenal. We got into Chile after a red-eye flight from the States and hoped that there would be a room ready so that we could at least put our things down. Not only did we arrive to a room that was ready, but we were also offered breakfast. The scrambled eggs and pancakes were outstanding.

Claire, who was at the front desk at the time, greeted us and quickly became the person we relied on for advice on Santiago. But whereas good service is attentive and helpful, phenomenal service like they had at Carmenere is going way beyond expectations - Claire gave us a hotel mobile phone in case of emergencies, the phone is connected to all of the staff through Whatsapp so you can ask questions when you're out and about, Kati helped us reserve a table at a restaurant while we were out, and some combination of Claire and Kati researched and quoted rental cars for us to get for Valparaiso. I know I'm missing other things that they helped us with - it was absolutely invaluable.

Location-wise, it was very central - about a 10-minute walk to Bellavista and Cerro San Cristobal and walkable to Mercado Central, Plaza de Armas, and Providencia. It's also in a quiet spot, but close to the action.

When the worst thing you can say about a hotel stay is that the water pressure could have been slightly better, you know it's incredible. Why Carmenere isn't ranked #1 in Santiago is beyond me. If we are ever back in Santiago, we know exactly where to stay.

3  Thank jwcardinal11
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Carmenere is a beautiful, tranquil, boutique hotel amidst the hustle bustle of Santiago city. We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 nights stay here. Great location - walking distance from subway stations and many popular sights. Breakfast every morning was hot, fresh and delicious. The pancakes were just out of the world yummy. I only wish they had a few hot items like potatoes or veggies for vegetarians like me but I cannot complain much because they made sure I was stuffed on tasty breads, pancakes, fresh fruit and cakes. The rooms are simple and nice and they have incorporated a lot of environment friendly features to reduce their carbon footprint which is great. The 24/7 coffee and snack bar is a boon since we came in after midnight and a warm cup of tea was just what we needed. However the best feature of this place is its staff. The entire team is excellent, friendly and as one of them rightly mentioned - they love to pamper their guests. Lucas, Caty, Claire, Francesca, Tiara (sorry if I spelt your names incorrectly) are totally awesome! It was interesting to see so many of them from different parts of the world, well adjusted to life in Santiago and speaking fluent Spanish. They helped us plan our sightseeing trips, gave good recommendations on places to eat, booked cabs for us and made sure our stay was comfortable in every way. The hotel also has a nice wine collection downstairs for wine lovers to indulge in. It really felt like our home away from home, well worth staying!

1  Thank Shivani M
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We have all read many excellent reports about this hotel and they are all true. BUT what really makes this place the "must do hotel in Santiago" is the team of phenomenal people who run it. They are outstanding in their service and desire to make their guests feel great. Right down to preparing a great breakfast at 4.30am before we left for an early flight and then arranging all our transport at short notice to get us where we needed to be. They are genuinely customer focused and in our experience with them, nothing is too much to ask. I could go on for ever about their wonderful culture and desire to make you happy on your stay, but, do yourself a favour and just go and stay their. You will not regret it, nor will you forget the outstanding service. A great team effort and thank you all for making our visit one to remember for all the right reasons. PS. Great coffee and snacks 24/7.

Room Tip: We had 2 different rooms on 2 different occasions and both were great.
2  Thank Paul E
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this love little boutique hotel in Providencia. The staff were all very friendly and helpful: one American woman, an Aussie and a German who is married to a Chilean. We loved the patio and our room was very comfortable...and the breakfast was excellent.
...a bit pricey at $200 a night but well worth it!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank highlandglobetrotter
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Excellent new boutique hotel. Great location, easy to walk to everywhere. Amazingly nice people that attend to your every need. Nice backyard. Stay here.The management team is very sweet and helpful and attend to your every need.

Room Tip: Take a look at the wine cellar hidden below.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo