“Unforgettable”

Peumayen Ancestral Food
Ranked #2 of 4,573 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: Chilean, South American, International, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: "Dreamed place" in Mapuche language or Mapudungun's. The result of a thorough investigation of Chile culinary roots, reflected in a menu that combines products, techniques and original preparations of the main pre-Hispanic cultures in Chile with a contemporary touch.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
“Unforgettable”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Actually went on recommendation and particularly wanted authentic Chilean food.

Service was good and the restaurant really did try to help us with the language barrier. Many other restaurants in Chile recognise the need for translation in English, I simply did not get a word, but thankfully a waitress was able to explain but we felt a little guilty wasting so much time explaining every dish.

Drinks were slow to arrive, pretty standard for Chile, and we ordered. The amuse Bouch of raw horse meat was a no no for me but hubbie ate both, said it was pleasant. The plate of breads was nice although the 3 sweet ones were a bit unpleasant as I didn't have my starter yet. They should stick to savoury ones, these were very tasty.

We ordered the mixed starter plate, 3 fish dishes and 2 meat, but I found the whole concept of those flavours all on the same plate quite off putting, the flavours were good, the salmon cerviche very tasty but all together was unsettling.

My pork main course was nice and smoky flavour but the refried beans were unforgettable.

We had no dessert.

The waiter forgot out bill on request and we had to ask someone else. All in all pleasant but won't be rushing back

• Finnish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Lots of unique flair, but food is not all that”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Great presentation but food is good, not great. For the price and atmosphere, I expected more. Service was slow; appeared to be understaffed on wait-staff.

Half Moon Bay, California
“Totallly unique, totally delicious and great service”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

we were coming through Santiago on a Sunday (arriving am and departing 11pm for the US) and many of the best Santiago restaurants are closed on Sundays, esp. for dinner, so I was pleased when I found this in my research. It sounded interesting. I was a bit concerned due to its location in the tourist area but we were totally blown away from start to finish. All the ingredients are fresh, they have stories from all parts of Chile and the taste combinations are extraordinary. We spent 3 hours at lunch and it flew by. I can be a bit of a picky eater and I have nut allergies, but I ate everything and loved it all. The wait staff was appropriately attentive, very informative and clearly passionate about the food. We saw the chef come out of the kitchen several times checking. Lovely ambiance, too, a bit set back off the street in a patio. I recommend you go and take your time to enjoy the appetizer tasting and a meal. We plan to go back for dinner when we have a chance. Reservations are easy to make online in advance.

Southbury, Connecticut
“Saved the best Santiago meal for our last night!”
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

A truly unique adventure in Chilean cuisine! Ambience and service was outstanding, and to make things easier, our waiter was from the UK. He was very helpful, and we let him order for us - definitely go with appetizer tasting menu. I cannot wait to tell my kids that my wife and I enjoyed horse, llama, and goat in one meal, and it was delicious! The selection of breads from all areas of Chile was also a incredibly inventive idea. You must not miss this place if you want to try Chilean as opposed to the ubiquitous Peruvian cuisine!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Zstorkrch
Miramar, Florida
“One of the best meal experienses ever”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is a hidden jewel in the middle of Bellavista neighborhood in Santiago, from the concept to the food, going thru the service, the details, the people and even the price. Since you get to the place to the momment you leave, everybody in the restaurant is paying attention to the people; the quality and the falvors are exceptional and the concept is an experiense.

• Visited February 2014