“Totallly unique, totally delicious and great service”

Peumayen Ancestral Food
Ranked #2 of 4,899 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: American, Chilean, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: "Dreamed place" in Mapuche language or Mapudungun's. The result of a thorough investigation of Chile culinary roots, reflected in a menu that combines products, techniques and original preparations of the main pre-Hispanic cultures in Chile with a contemporary touch.
Reviewed March 3, 2014

we were coming through Santiago on a Sunday (arriving am and departing 11pm for the US) and many of the best Santiago restaurants are closed on Sundays, esp. for dinner, so I was pleased when I found this in my research. It sounded interesting. I was a bit concerned due to its location in the tourist area but we were totally blown away from start to finish. All the ingredients are fresh, they have stories from all parts of Chile and the taste combinations are extraordinary. We spent 3 hours at lunch and it flew by. I can be a bit of a picky eater and I have nut allergies, but I ate everything and loved it all. The wait staff was appropriately attentive, very informative and clearly passionate about the food. We saw the chef come out of the kitchen several times checking. Lovely ambiance, too, a bit set back off the street in a patio. I recommend you go and take your time to enjoy the appetizer tasting and a meal. We plan to go back for dinner when we have a chance. Reservations are easy to make online in advance.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,095)

Reviewed February 19, 2014

A truly unique adventure in Chilean cuisine! Ambience and service was outstanding, and to make things easier, our waiter was from the UK. He was very helpful, and we let him order for us - definitely go with appetizer tasting menu. I cannot wait to tell my kids that my wife and I enjoyed horse, llama, and goat in one meal, and it was delicious! The selection of breads from all areas of Chile was also a incredibly inventive idea. You must not miss this place if you want to try Chilean as opposed to the ubiquitous Peruvian cuisine!

1  Thank Zstorkrch
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is a hidden jewel in the middle of Bellavista neighborhood in Santiago, from the concept to the food, going thru the service, the details, the people and even the price. Since you get to the place to the momment you leave, everybody in the restaurant is paying attention to the people; the quality and the falvors are exceptional and the concept is an experiense.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was initially scared off by the term ancestral food but the place looked so nice, I had to try it. Ask for the English menu if you are not proficient in Spanish. Both waiters spoke English and were extremely helpful in explaining the menu. Fish, lamb and pork are on the menu plus other entrees. Garden salad with lettuce, tomato, strawberries and blueberries plus a perfectly cooked merluza was what I ordered. Then come all the extras to make it a 5 or 6 course meal. All for USD $42, which included 2 glasses of wine and bottled. An excellent value, but more importantly, outstanding food with very original seasonings ( but not weird or off putting). I cannot say nough good things about the ambiance, food and service.

Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Came here with my girlfriend and had an excellent meal. Was helped that our waiter was chilean but had lived in nottingham so his english was excellent and he explained the food and made suggestions which were of great help. We did the tasting course for starters and dessert and all were excellent. You also get a complimentary bread tasting course which highlighted traditional breads throught chile, it was very informative, interesting and tasty. For mains i had the pork ribs and white beans which were very succulent and sweet but also hugely filling! Highly reccomend this place!