“Believe the hype”

Peumayen Ancestral Food
Ranked #2 of 4,706 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: American, Chilean, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: "Dreamed place" in Mapuche language or Mapudungun's. The result of a thorough investigation of Chile culinary roots, reflected in a menu that combines products, techniques and original preparations of the main pre-Hispanic cultures in Chile with a contemporary touch.
Santiago, Chile
“Believe the hype”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Brilliant ethnic food. I don't believe I had tried something like this... and after a long time away from Chile, it was exactly what I needed. The premise is simple: gourmet food with native ingredients... typical indigenous food with a twist, as it were. And yes, this small gem of a restaurante delivers.

We shared the "degustacion" of starters (there are two versions, we chose the standard over the vegetarian) which included 6 small samples of exciting recipes (tuna, rabbit, quinoa, etc). As main course I had the lamb, which was fantastic but could have been better. The dessert sampler was simply excellent, which is somewhat expected when the main chef is Argentine. All dishes ranged from CLP$7,500 to $13,500. (Or around US$17-30)

Oh, and you'll love the bread sampler as well, well worth every bite.

As a side note, the wine list is short but impressive. Excellent selection of MOVI (Independent) Chilean wineries. Prices can't be topped either, as all were around the range you'd find in a supermarket.

Simply put... a must try.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank VictorEnriq

• Finnish first
new york
“Truly fantastic and unique!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Peumayen was only reviewed by 12 reviewers prior to our visit, and all were excellent, so we wondered whether this could really be so. It was. The reason for the small number of reviews is that it is only recently opened, and the reason for them all being excellent became obvious. This is a truly unique, charming and extraordinary restaurant. It is a concept restaurant...the concept being that of the ancient (aka 'ancestral') foods/preparations of the indigenous peoples of Chile and South America, when set in a modern interpretation, will bring out the best of both the past and the present...and create a new future. I must say that the concept is brilliantly executed by a terrific chef and staff. To prepare for opening, the staff/management spent several years in exploring, discovering, and experiencing first-hand the varied native cuisines of the vast region. The result is an incredible explosion of delicious morsels of food on the taste buds. Both the taste and textures were phenomenal, as well as the presentations. Our appetizers included lambs tongue, salmon 'smoked' in ash and served with minced dried mushrooms, octopus in a wonderful olive oil/hot pepper sauce served on a sliced potato, and thinly sliced veal with a delicious dark brown sauce. We had a fish...just off-the-boat fresh merluzza, with onions and tomatoes, and a braised lamb-shank in a thin dumpling-type of crust with tomato sauce and interesting, toasted-wheat dumplings, so full of flavor and surprise. If our ancestors were eating like this...sign me up! Impeccable service as well. They had just received their liquor license this evening and we had a nice bottle of Santa Rita wine, but the real excitement on the wine list...and we spoke with the manager at length about this...will be in the small, boutique, hard-to-find bottles that will be available. All in all...if you are in Santiago, this restaurant should be a MUST on your list!!!

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank Steven E
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Phenomenal Food, great attention to detail and beautiful setting”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was easily the best food my friend and I ate during several weeks in South America. Everything was inventive, flavorful and beautifully presented with an attention to detail that I didn't see in most places I ate. I would go as far as to say that it was as good or better than most Michelin 1 star restaurants I have eaten in.

The meal started with and amuse bouche of tuna tartare - fresh, flavorful and well seasoned.
We had ordered the appetizer sampler to share for the next course. The waitress picked up two platters from the service window, and as she was walking over we were convinced that something must have been lost in translation, but no, this was our "bread" course. The platter had 7 different offerings including herbed bread, a compound butter, tartare of tomato, a slightly savory tres leches cake, purple potato croquettes and something else that is slipping my mind.

Next, the appetizer platter. All I can say is wow. Again 6-7 tastes including from fried octopus with mango and savory tres leches cake, marinated smoked salmon with coconibs, quinoa salad with strawberry, carpaccio of beef with parmesan . . . pics are available on this site and the restaurant's site.

Following appetizers, a nice sorbet to cleanse the palate.

Entrees - we ordered 3 (for 2 people) which was unnecessary based on the amount of food but a decision we were quite pleased with: We had the Horse steak with sauteed vegetables and mashed potatoes. They recommend medium, but we very specifically ordered it on the rare side of medium rare and it came out cooked exactly to our liking. It was well seasoned and tasted similar to elk. Overall very good. Next was a roasted lamb shank with a tangy tomato sauce and quinoa gnocchi. Equally delicious. If I had to make a criticism, the "gnocchi" were a bit dense, but they are quinoa, not potato or ricotta so as to be expected. The third entree was a beautiful salmon filet cooked perfectly medium served on a corn puree with strawberries - my personal favorite.

After entrees, another palate cleanser of sorbet, if I remember correctly raspberry this time

Desert - we again had the sampler. It was excellent. I think I've said enough

Cost: US $90 (including tax/tip) for complimentary house infused water, amuse bouche, "bread" platter, appetizer sampler, 3 entrees, sorbet x2, and a dessert sampler. (and you can bring your own wine)

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Steven M
Santiago, Chile
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This place was a great find just up the road from the overrated, overpriced restaurants at Patio Bellavista. The restaurant is beautiful with patio seating under lime trees in the back of the old house turned restaurant. The restaurant gives you a culinary tour through the region, starting with a bread plate with 5 different breads. The entrees were fantastic. The horse filet came recommended by the waiter and did not disappoint. Go with the sampling plate of appetizers and desserts so you can get a taste of everything. As of March, they do not serve alcohol so bring your own wine to go with your excellent food.

• Visited March 2013