“Fantastic way to see Santiago - loved it!”
Review of Foto Ruta Santiago

Foto Ruta Santiago
Ranked #39 of 287 Tours in Santiago
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the city of Santiago in a different way. Slow down the pace and get to know your camera even better, and capture some fantastic photographs to remind you of your Chilean adventure. Suitable to all levels of photography experience, and to all digital cameras, Foto Ruta is a wonderful way to see and experience the city through the lens of your camera and meet like minded people. A great alternative to the traditional 'tour' Foto Ruta invites participants on a journey of discovery, Foto Ruta Santiago will give you a greater understanding of the city and its culture whilst also teaching you how to take great travel photography. Whether you’re a photo enthusiast, a professional, or just want to see a more authentic side of Santiago, this excursion offers you a unique and memorable afternoon in the city. Foto Ruta also operates in Buenos Aires, London and Barcelona.
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fantastic way to see Santiago - loved it!”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We booked this tour having an 8 hour layover in Santiago en route from Lima to Melbourne.

Cat was fantastic - showed us how to use our new camera properly and really inspired us to think about what and how we were photographing.

Loved the tour of Santiago too. This was really fun, and the photography course added another element to the city tour.

Would recommend this highly!! 10/10 Cat!

Visited September 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“If you love photography, you should do this!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Foto Ruta is a fun and unique way to see the city if you love photography like I do. I did a half-day tour with Cat. She was really great in showing me parts of the city I would have easily just walked by. I consider myself relatively a beginner when it comes to photography, and Cat helped me look at things with different perspectives. I learned a lot about street photography during our walking tour. Bring your camera and wear comfortable walking shoes. You will have a great time, and you will get to see parts of the city you would not have otherwise! Highly recommended!

1 Thank newtype502
Philadelphia
3 attraction reviews
“Unique way to see some of the neighborhoods in Santiago.”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Highly recommend. My husband and I spent an afternoon with Cat exploring some of the different neighborhoods in the city. My husband loves photography and already had quite a lot of knowledge before the tour, I am a beginner. No worries, the tour offered something for us both. Cat was great explaining some basics with me. And my husband was able to exchange ideas and technical points with her. She made sure our walk included sights/photo opportunities of interest to us both. And while not a history tour, Cat provided background info to the places we went. She is also extremely friendly and personable and it was fun to spend the afternoon with her taking photos and talking.

Perth, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great way to slow down and take in your surroundings”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I did the Foto Ruta Weekly in the Bellavista Neighbourhood. We had great difficulty finding the meeting point and ended up arriving 30+ minutes late (as we were searching for street number 106 whereas we should have been looking for 0106). My suggestion would be for Foto Ruta Santiago to emphasise this point when emailing the meeting location (and provide the nearest cross street as Google maps doesn’t distinguish between 106 and 0106). Notwithstanding this we had a great couple of hours walking around Bellavista searching for photo opportunities. It forces you to really focus on your surroundings; so it’s a great way to get an in-depth perspective of the chosen neighbourhood. The example photos shown during the introductory presentation can look a bit intimidating (even to the camera enthusiast); perhaps Foto Ruta Santiago could show images from past participants / non-professionals. I was shooting with a Canon SLR but my husband (and others in the group) were using iPhones. It was really interesting to reconvene and share photographs for each clue at the end of the session. The quality of some of the iPhone photos was fantastic, and it was really interesting to see how a group of people can each capture the same clue so differently. Foto Ruta Santiago is definitely a unique way to spend a couple of hours and we would recommend it to anyone visiting Santiago. For the balance of our trip even my husband, who usually leaves all the trip photography to me, was more inclined to pull out his iPhone.

1 Thank Skye C
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A fun afternoon out and about”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Despite being a little different to what I had been expecting, I had a really good time and would recommend this activity to others. It turned out to be a little more serious than I'd thought like we talked a lot about techniques and composition which was good. Everyone had SLRs and I had only Instagram and a point and shoot but I made it work in the end. Although I wish I had brought my SLR, I'm glad I just used Instagram as it gave a different flavour. I enjoyed the "clues" as they were kind of open to interpretation and it was fun to see what people came up with. It was nice to take a moment from trying to sightsee so much and really take the time to explore the intricate ins and outs of that quirky neighbourhood. If you like taking photos, I'd really recommend it. It's a great way to spend an afternoon in a new city.