Foresta
$321
$280
WHotels.com
  • Room Service
Hotel Plaza San Francisco(Santiago)
$149
$129
$116
$239
$169
$149
Le Reve Hotel Boutique(Santiago)
$199
  • Breakfast included
$164
$136
HolidayInn.com
All reviewssanta lucia parkcan't beat the locationtop floorrooftop restaurantarts districtolder hotelfantastic locationwithin easy walking distancecheese and haman upgradechillifree wifireception areabreakfast includedlarge roomrestaurants and shopsmetro station
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This old hotel is in an excellent central Santiago location at budget prices. Stayed 2 nights upon arrival in Chile and two nights before leaving. Park across the street has fantastic view from the summit and commemorates the founding of the city in 1500s. Easy walking distance to museums, presidential palace (La Moneda), Plaza de Armas and pedestrian malls. Adjoining bar is packed most evenings.

Room Tip: Some street noise similar to any big city central location. Sitting room +bedroom + bathroom. Small breakfast included on seventh floor restaurant with park view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank rico1818
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been staying at the Foresta for over five years. I chose it initially after determining that it offered the best value in the best location for a Santiago stay. I found it on Lonely Planet, which unfortunately no longer lists it. I prefer tit to their current offers in the area. I hadn't been to Santiago for nearly 30 years and was not sure where to stay. The area of the Hill of Santa Lucia - Cerro Santa Lucia - looked like the best bet: close to Metro, museums and walkable distance to the center. I was right!
I have stayed here since, returning to Santiago each year. The value is unparalleled. I get a beautiful bedroom with a sitting room and private bath. The hotel is elegant with an older charm not only in the decor but also in the service. The staff is most accommodating and now that they know me it is like coming home.
The breakfast could use an upgrade, but I really have no real complaints. They could be more generous with the coffee and offer some variety beyond the carb overload ( I'm a diabetic).
The location is the best. It is in the area with great restaurants, theaters ( my first love in Santiago), museums and safety at night. For me, the area of Sta Lucia is the place to be at night. If I want night life I can walk to Bellavista but I don't have to try to sleep amidst its noise and hubbub. I can easily get to most of the theaters, and walk to many. The area is an arts district with lots of shops, bookstores, cafes. Frankly I wouldn't want to be up in Las Condes or sequestered in a more remote part of the city. This barrio has the charm of old Santiago with the verve of today's renaissance.
The Bar Rodrigo, attached to the hotel, is a great place to relax at night. I love the musician playing Gershwin and Cole Porter, although perhaps I'm the only one listening.
After a day of schlepping around Santiago and environs I can return to my suite of rooms, sit on a nice couch, sip some wine and recoup for another day of exploring.
For me the Foresta is the best value in Santiago. I wil be staying there again this summer.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the floor right below the restaurant
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Hugh B
Reviewed May 26, 2012

For starters, there is no way you can book a room online through a website, for the hotel doesn't have any. So it is better calling them in advance or maybe e-mailing them, I left the e-mail address below. The decoration is tacky, with medieval armors, old wallpapers, old/torn furniture and stuck closets. However, it only costs 70 dollars for a "matrimonial room". It is the cheapest fare you will find for a room located right in the middle of the Fine Arts neighborhood, breakfast included. For that matter, breakfast is actually poor, but useful if you are into practicality. It is a closed package: two slices of toast, a small portion of apricot jam, and of butter, a cup of instant coffee or tea (w/ milk or water) -- if you do sweetners they ration the amount, a glass of cool-aid and a slice of cake. Apart from that the rooms are spacious, with a small sitting room, two closets, a huge bathroom w/ a bathtub, a great bedroom, w/ windows that have good shades and that block the outside noise efficiently, and a huge LCD tv with a great amount of channels both in English and Spanish such as Warner, Sony, Chilevision... The room service is efficient, and it was well cleaned everyday. The hotel staff is helpful and open-minded, especially Luis who speaks both English and Portunol which is helpful. There's a beautiful park just across the street and Lastaria street behind the hotel, a bohemean street filled with cafes, bars, pubs and theaters. The neighborhood is gay-friendly btw. The hotel has a restaurant on the top floor (where it serves breakfast), and a piano bar that has the best of prices (tho ppl can, and DO, smoke inside). It is near several subway stations, close to the plaza de armas and all the mandatory sightseeing.I had an amazing time there. The only down is the old man who works at the front desk in the morning who is super rude. Ps: the wi-fi connection only works around the front desk, or upstairs at the restaurant...

Room Tip: If you want to book it online the e-mail is info@forestahotel.cl (I only found out about it by calling the hotel, so I figure I can spare you from doing the same) The rooms just above the piano bar (left side) may smell cigarettes, as ppl go outside for a smoke. Pay in dollars, you get a discount. If you pay by credit card, your card-issuing bank will charge you in dollars anyway.
Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Orozimbo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed a week at Hotel Foresta. It is an old hotel, in a great location (the "Santa Lucia" Hill is just across the street, you are near subway stations, etc) and with great prices. Even though our room was near the kitchen (the hotel has a restaurant on the top floor), at about midnight all would be silent.

The staff was always ready to help with directions and maps, the room was cleaned daily and everything worked fine.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank birdaum
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stayed at Foresta a few times when I came in and out of Santiago while traveling Chile. The location is great and the staff is super friendly. The room was quiet and comfortable. The hotel is a little threadbare, but for the price it's fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo