“Affordable charm in a great location”
Review of Foresta

Foresta
Ranked #120 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been staying at the Foresta for over five years. I chose it initially after determining that it offered the best value in the best location for a Santiago stay. I found it on Lonely Planet, which unfortunately no longer lists it. I prefer tit to their current offers in the area. I hadn't been to Santiago for nearly 30 years and was not sure where to stay. The area of the Hill of Santa Lucia - Cerro Santa Lucia - looked like the best bet: close to Metro, museums and walkable distance to the center. I was right!
I have stayed here since, returning to Santiago each year. The value is unparalleled. I get a beautiful bedroom with a sitting room and private bath. The hotel is elegant with an older charm not only in the decor but also in the service. The staff is most accommodating and now that they know me it is like coming home.
The breakfast could use an upgrade, but I really have no real complaints. They could be more generous with the coffee and offer some variety beyond the carb overload ( I'm a diabetic).
The location is the best. It is in the area with great restaurants, theaters ( my first love in Santiago), museums and safety at night. For me, the area of Sta Lucia is the place to be at night. If I want night life I can walk to Bellavista but I don't have to try to sleep amidst its noise and hubbub. I can easily get to most of the theaters, and walk to many. The area is an arts district with lots of shops, bookstores, cafes. Frankly I wouldn't want to be up in Las Condes or sequestered in a more remote part of the city. This barrio has the charm of old Santiago with the verve of today's renaissance.
The Bar Rodrigo, attached to the hotel, is a great place to relax at night. I love the musician playing Gershwin and Cole Porter, although perhaps I'm the only one listening.
After a day of schlepping around Santiago and environs I can return to my suite of rooms, sit on a nice couch, sip some wine and recoup for another day of exploring.
For me the Foresta is the best value in Santiago. I wil be staying there again this summer.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the floor right below the restaurant
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Hugh B
There are newer reviews for Foresta

Reviewed May 26, 2012

For starters, there is no way you can book a room online through a website, for the hotel doesn't have any. So it is better calling them in advance or maybe e-mailing them, I left the e-mail address below. The decoration is tacky, with medieval armors, old wallpapers, old/torn furniture and stuck closets. However, it only costs 70 dollars for a "matrimonial room". It is the cheapest fare you will find for a room located right in the middle of the Fine Arts neighborhood, breakfast included. For that matter, breakfast is actually poor, but useful if you are into practicality. It is a closed package: two slices of toast, a small portion of apricot jam, and of butter, a cup of instant coffee or tea (w/ milk or water) -- if you do sweetners they ration the amount, a glass of cool-aid and a slice of cake. Apart from that the rooms are spacious, with a small sitting room, two closets, a huge bathroom w/ a bathtub, a great bedroom, w/ windows that have good shades and that block the outside noise efficiently, and a huge LCD tv with a great amount of channels both in English and Spanish such as Warner, Sony, Chilevision... The room service is efficient, and it was well cleaned everyday. The hotel staff is helpful and open-minded, especially Luis who speaks both English and Portunol which is helpful. There's a beautiful park just across the street and Lastaria street behind the hotel, a bohemean street filled with cafes, bars, pubs and theaters. The neighborhood is gay-friendly btw. The hotel has a restaurant on the top floor (where it serves breakfast), and a piano bar that has the best of prices (tho ppl can, and DO, smoke inside). It is near several subway stations, close to the plaza de armas and all the mandatory sightseeing.I had an amazing time there. The only down is the old man who works at the front desk in the morning who is super rude. Ps: the wi-fi connection only works around the front desk, or upstairs at the restaurant...

Room Tip: If you want to book it online the e-mail is info@forestahotel.cl (I only found out about it by calli...
Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Orozimbo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed a week at Hotel Foresta. It is an old hotel, in a great location (the "Santa Lucia" Hill is just across the street, you are near subway stations, etc) and with great prices. Even though our room was near the kitchen (the hotel has a restaurant on the top floor), at about midnight all would be silent.

The staff was always ready to help with directions and maps, the room was cleaned daily and everything worked fine.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank birdaum
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I stayed at Foresta a few times when I came in and out of Santiago while traveling Chile. The location is great and the staff is super friendly. The room was quiet and comfortable. The hotel is a little threadbare, but for the price it's fantastic.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank trave7er33
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I discovered this hotel on Tripadvisor and stayed a week. It was great. I arrived unannounced and my bag was carried in to the small reception area, checking in was very efficient. The gentleman doing it was very pleasant and answered all my questions thoroughly. My room was, well, different, but not unpleasantly so. I had a small anti room, a bedroom overlooking the park and a clean well lit bathroom. The maid service was first class. The breakfast was, say, tolerable. This is an area they can improve on. I enjoyed the European feel of Santiago. People very friendly and helpful, shops and restaurants all around were reasonably priced and the food and service were very good. I think many students are in that area so it was lively but not noisy. Even my room overlooking the park and road below was not too noisy except in the morning commute, Chilenos like to use their horns. In summary, I would heartily recommend this hotel, very reasonable cost, and expertly run.

Room Tip: My room was vower the bar but I did not realise it until I was there 3 days. In any case you can alw...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank KSC248
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I´ve stayed at the Foresta Hotel for most of my Santiago trips in the last couple of years. 1.- The rates are very reasonable, a room for two goes for around USD 65. 2.- Great location for Lastarria area, parks, restaurants, the new GAM art center and several other amenities. 3.- Four blocks away from two metro stations (line 1 and 2). 4.- Although is limited and located around the corner, they offer parking for your car for free, which is extremely rare in that area where the parking spots are really scarce. 4.- The staff is very accomodating: I've been there twice recovering for surgeries (5 blocks away from the Universidad Catolica Teaching Hospital) and they have tried their best to fulfill my needs, serving special foods with no fuss or crazy surcharges. 5.- I go there with my lesbian partner and they are equally nice to anybody (they have gotten to know us by name, so they care if any of us seem ill or distressed). 6.- Their check-in and check-out times are comfortable and reasonably flexible: I have checked-in in a room at 11am coming out of a hospital, and they had no problem. Why I didn't give it 5 points: 1.- The included breakfast could be limited for some people (cup of instant coffee, tea or milk, two toasts, butter and jam, 1 strip of laminated cheese and ham, small glass of artificial juice, and a slice of chiffon cake) 2.- Although they offer free wifi, some rooms get very poor or no signal 3.- Depending on the room, you can smell fumes from the kitchen on the 7th floor, or noise from the streets. 4.- At least for Chilean customers, you can not pay with a debit card, they only take credit or cash. 5.- They do not have A/C. Overall, a really nice option, clean, safe with some antique feeling to it.

Room Tip: Fourth and fifth floors seem to have better view and less disturbances
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank tcanaleso
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This is not your average hotel; no big foyer, basic breakfast, no website, no tour desk, but a quirky hotel where every room is decorated in a different style that looks like it's straight from a flea market. Located close to two railway stations as well as the Mercado Central and main plaza. A beautiful park is opposite. Ask for a room facing the park and main street. I paid only $52US per night.

• Stayed: March 2011