3 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.com$145
Priceline$145
Trip.com$118
2,834 results
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I'm currently staying at the Hotel Plaza San Francisco (June 2011), on extended business in Santiago. Over all? This hotel is centrally located, the rooms are spacious (some have views of the mountains), and the staff is *wonderfully* kind.

I am in a room with a King bed- which is very comfortable, with a duvet and four very comfy pillows... no skimping there. I happen to be on the side with the mountain view, which is lovely and for the most part - quiet. My windows actually open, which I positively ADORE, since in many many hotels, this just isn't possible. The idea of getting fresh air in a hotel room is a big plus for me. A colleague of mine is on the other side of the hallway, which overlooks the street. It's not noisy, but he isn't able to open his windows... so if this is important to you, you might want to ask at check in or when making your reservation.

The bathrooms are very nicely appointed with a shower and tub, and a robe, along with the usual amenities.. shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc.

There is ample closet space, along with a safe (hurrah) in the room for valuables, a huge flat screen tv, and a desk (which houses a coffee maker..phew.).

Now.

It is *so* difficult to be on a business trip without proper access to the internet, and though the staff has been told many times by myself and my colleagues.. and the WIFI is free.. so it's hard to complain... (but I'm about to..) .. I have to say that it's sketchy at best. It comes and goes, and not every room has a router in it. The routers are in nearly every other room, and often they just don't work. I have had to pack everything up and go sit in the lobby to have access on many occasions, and though this isn't a HUGE deal, it's a "5" star hotel. This shouldn't be happening. The staff insists that it is an outside problem and that the company is trying to fix it... but I've been here for nearly 3 weeks now, and it has been consistently sketchy.

I'm also on a "non smoking" floor. Yes, now I *know* that I am in Chile. But- and this is where the "thank God my windows open" comes in - the floor below is not a non smoking floor. Sometimes it's as if someone is actually smoking in bed with me - and that is not something that appeals to me, as a non smoker! I suspect it's just the way the ventilation system works.. but... bleh. I want to be clear about saying that it is NOT constant, but I've noticed it on a few occasions in the last 3 weeks. I felt it was worth mentioning.

The restaurant in this hotel (let's get to something *great* about this place!) is simply spectacular. It's not cheap, but it isn't insane either. Do not miss the Pea Soup with Stuffed Quail. (you heard me... holy cow...er.. quail.) My colleagues and I have yet to have anything there that was not spectacular, and they have a lovely selection of wines also (Don't miss a Carmenere while you're here... they're fierce!). Also - if you choose to partake of a cocktail.. do try their Pisco Sour, and the Vaina... and don't try driving after ;)

Breakfast was included in the price of the room, and they have quite a lot of choices. It is a buffet, with fruit, yogurt, cereals, nuts, scrambled eggs, pigs in a blanket (yes, a little odd but seriously- whether you admit it or not... pigs in a blanket are fun at any time of the day.. ), ham, cheese, tomatoes, capers, smoked salmon, breads, rolls, etc. If you ask, you can get eggs to order also.

Over all - with mostly mild complaint? I would recommend this hotel.. the staff makes it worth your while.

Date of stay: June 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
3  Thank HeldenMommy
MarketingHPSF, Gerente at Hotel Plaza San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2011

Dear Guest:
Thank you very much for your comments. Reading what you wrote make us feel we are heading to the right direction.
We totally regret and apologize for all the inconveniences that the problem with internet access may have caused you. This has always been a concern to us. First we worked hard to give our guests free internet access, but we are aware that there are serious problems with the quality of it. And we are currently working on it. Nowadays our internet supplier is changing all the cables to give a more stable and faster WiFi connection and we'll keep on working on it, in order to make you business stay much more comfortable.
Regarding the "Non Smoking" room you are just staying in, unfortunately in our country it is still allowed to have smoking rooms and sometimes it is hard to deal with that. But if you need to change your room we'll be pleased to do it.
We really appreciate the comments our guest do about our hotel and restaurant, this is the best way we have to improve. We really hope to have you back in our hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed May 3, 2011

This beautiful hotel is near all the downtown tourist attractions. The hotel itself had everything including a magic show when we were there. The restaurant is very good and the service excellent. This is not a cheap hotel, but worth it for the location.

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed January 17, 2011

This hotel has seen better days and it's location lends it to business conventions rather than tourism. The whole hotel is incrediby noisy from the external traffic all day and night, is filthy dirty and the fixture and fittings need replacing.

Date of stay: December 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Suppose I've used this hotel for at least a decade. It went through a slightly dull patch a few years ago, after its excellent chef left (its Bristol restaurant had been one of the best in Santiago). Now there's a new chef, and the overall service is back to what it was. Well located in the centre of town: lots of shops and bars etc within 5 minutes walk in any direction. Utterly charming staff, especially to the English for some reason (I don't think they see many). Very good bar: pisco sours and caipirinhas to die for. Large swimming pool in the basement, with infinity water jets. Gym. Massive beds. All the facilities of a luxury hotel (wife's hair-do cost about 25 dollars) yet it's small enough to have the personal touch. Not the cheapest hotel in town, but still good value.

Date of stay: August 2010
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Stayed here 3 nights to break up a long flight & to see the sights in Santiago. I was generally satisfied with my stay but would rate it 4star, not 5.

Unlike the previous reviewer, I found the staff to be extremely helpful and courteous. I agree that the breakfast was not extraordinary -- but it was not any different than the buffet I've had in most S American hotels (scrambled eggs, ham, cheese, fresh fruit, yogurt (3 kinds), juice, hot drinks and toast. How much does one need? I paid $109 USD/nite and felt it was OK value for money.

They do charge for internet access but you can buy 2hr, 3hr or 24hr cards that allow you to sign on & off (does not have to be consecutive hours). Just be careful to bookmark the login window because you can't sign off if you close it.

I happened to walk past the Hotel Kapital (about 2 blocks away) on Merced 433. It is on a side street and hence somewhat quieter and was advertising Jacuzzi rooms for $59usd/nite. I do not think they have a website, but the number is 56-2-6381624. There is a brief review on travelblog.org. If I go back to Santiago, I'd stay there.

Last tip - best seafood restaurant in Santiago? El Galeon. On the north edge of the Mercado Central (NOT the big place inside the market). Unbelievable food & packed with locals, not tourists.

Date of stay: June 2010