“Lucky choice”

Ranked #87 of 198 Hotels in Santiago
El Dorado Hills, California
“Lucky choice”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

When I travel I usually like to choose smaller hotels in local neighborhoods rather than corporate brand hotels, but made a lucky choice in this one after some research. It is a smaller hotel in a fashionable neighborhood close to the Metropolitan Park, which is what we wanted and is a must see. It is also only about a 10 min walk in the opposite direction from the park to the business area and subway. We were two middle age women friends traveling together and we felt very safe walking in this beautiful neighborhood and in this area of Santiago as a whole. The hotel in a former large manor house and our room was quite comfortable and the staff were helpful in providing a map and directions for our adventures. Only a couple of the staff spoke English, so it was somewhat comical at times to communicate, but we all managed with a smile. It has a small restaurant which we enjoyed in the evenings. It is quite some distance from the well known Pio Nono area where most of the cafes and clubs are located, but just a short a ride on the subway which is very clean and modern. The hotel staff were helpful upon checking out to store our luggage on our last day while we took a private all day tour and we were able to retrieve them when it was time to go to the airport for our flight home. All in all it was a very pleasant stay and we had not complaints and we loved our travels in Chile.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank lets_travel2000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2011

At check-out, I had to leave my luggage in the hotel storage room for 3 hours, since the check out was at 12 pm, but my flight was at 6 pm. I came back after 3 hours and my cell phone which was worth $700 was not there anymore. I let the staff know about it immediately. The manager was not there that day, so they told me we would compensate the damage, but we have to talk to the manager first. I sent an email to the manager right after I arrived to the airport. I contacted her 3 times, and finally she responded to my email messages. She said she had asked the person who took my luggage to the room, and he said that he had not steal your phone!!!

Since I was not convinced, I contacted the corporate headquarters. They said they had to follow that up with the hotel manager and they would let me know in 7 days. I also talked to the manager of customer relations. They have not even contacted me. So, I called them, and they simply said that sorry for the bad experience you had in this hotel, but we have not found your phone!!!
The day that they stole my phone, the Police was in the hotel. I wanted to talk to the Police, but they could not speak English and I could not speak Spanish. Besides, if I wanted to file it, I needed to stay there for three days to go to their office and report it there.

So, basically, they can simply steal your stuff and there is nothing you can do.
During my stay in Santiago, I kept my valuable belongings in a safe box, but last day, I thought, since I was not using my phone in Santiago, it would be wise to leave it in the storage room, assuming the hotel storage room is safe and only trusted people are allowed to go in and not thieves.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Trip123987
espachile, Gerente at Los Espanoles Hotel, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Dear Mrs. [--] : Good afternoon , first of all let me tell you that the reason I did not respond you before was because I did”nt work the last weekend.

Also I wait the opportunity to talk with the employee involved in this stranger and unique case. Roberto Urtecho is his name , and was the only employee who entered to the room where was stored your luggage. ( we have the daily registers ) .

When you came back to the hotel to pick up your bags , the front desk man , Alejandro Ramos , came into the room to give you back to you , and that took about fifteen seconds.

He declared that he did not have any idea that you left a cell phone in your bag pack. Only you knew that.

Roberto declared the same us Alejandro .

Roberto works with us since 3 years ago and every day he stores baggage or luggage at the store room and is the first time that a guest claim us for something lost inside the room.

It was a very special situation and I want you to ask you please , if is a possibility that you lost it in other place outside the hotel , or may be if you went out and carried in your hand bag and somebody stoled you outside or anywhere you went that day.

Is very unfair to make a judgment against somebody that in all these years has been very trusted in his job.

I am very sorry for your bad experience lived in Santiago , but the BW Hotel Los Españoles can not be responsible for and object that was not declared.

Best regards

Patricio Aguilera

Manager

BW Hotel Los Españoles
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed April 24, 2011

I stayed at this hotel on a trip with my daughter and we were very happy with this hotel. It is not a Ritz Carlton but I can't think of anything that would have made it better. I was a little apprehensive about where we would be staying as this was my first trip to Chile. The location is awesome. Very quiet and close to every thing. The staff could not have been any better. The room was very comfortable for us and the 2 twin beds exceeded expectations.
I felt very safe here and the neighborhood was very nice. The walk to the business district was only about ten minutes and I never felt uncomfortable. The restaurants in the area were great. The food and the service and friendliness of the staff was wonderful. The whole Chile experience was great and I will definately try to get back for another visit. If and when I do return to Chile I will definately stay at Los Espanoles. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011
London, England
Reviewed April 18, 2011

This is an interestingly rambling hotel close to a motorway interchange on the edge of La Providencia, a fashionable residential-business district. For a short stay it could be OK. But our room - a family suite, with a too-small bed in the main bedroom and a single bed in a room next door - was totally unsuitable for our needs (a four-night business-plus-pleasure stay): it didn't provide a good night's sleep, and there was an acute lack of storage space. The restaurant offers an adequate buffet breakfast but lacks ambience or variety for lunch or dinner, and the bar suffers from the chronic Chilean problem that smoking is still tolerated. Finally, navigation on foot across the river to the La Providencia restaurants is physically somewhat perilous, so a taxi is probably necessary. Overall: quaint charm, but needs refurbishment. A plus point: the service is very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Check room on arrival!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank London Frequent Traveller
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I would probably give it a 3 1/2, I would not classify it as very good, but average is maybe a bit too low. Stayed here 2 nights. I reserved a single room but the room I got seemed large enough to serve as a double which was nice. It did not have an ac, although I did not really need it (but was close to). Sleeping with open windows was not an option as the road noise would have kept me awake. One side of the hotel borders on a very busy road and my room was on that side of the hotel. The impression that the hotel is located in a quiet residential area is partially true I would say.

Wireless worked, breakfast was decent. They claim to have a gym, but when I asked they said it was closed. Most of the check-in personnel spoke English and were friendly. Had dinner here one night, which was ok, but probably not as good as any other restaurant at a similar price level. Subway station Losleones is walking distance (5 mins or so) which makes it a convenient location.

As I do not know any other hotels I would recommend it, but not with complete conviction.

To get to the hotel from the airport I booked a group shuttle upon arrival (just after you collect your bags) at the transvip counter for USD 12, 1/2 the price or less compared to an individual taxi. I had to wait maybe 10 mins before it left, but it was very comfortable and would recommend using this if you are a single traveller. To go to the international bus station I took the subway to Uni de Santiago and walked to the terminal (takes approx 30 mins in total).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank sebbie33
Vancouver
Reviewed January 1, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Los Espanoles. It has a warm, friendly atmosphere, with a good restaurant, great staff and a 'home away from home' feeling. The area it is located in is very pretty, there is a park across the street, and we always felt safe when we went out, even at night.
It is a small boutique hotel, there are no elevators that I saw, but there is always someone to carry your luggage upstairs if you are on the 2nd floor. Our friends had a room with a balcony which was very enjoyable to sit and relax. The rooms are big, with plenty of room for luggage.
And, as Bewt Western advertises - the wifi was free which was a real plus for us having been at sea for 2 weeks prior with very expensive wifi services.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LyndaS0
Lara Victoria Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2010

You won't go wrong if you stay at this terrific hotel. The reception staff speak excellent English ( a big bonus in a very predominantly Spanish speaking country ) Everything about Los Espanoles is good ! Rooms are large, very clean, Breakfast perfect, Dinners were delicious.Kitchen staff were quite incredible.... Isobel ( I think that was her name ) became a friend and we were only there 4 nights ! Reception staff were so helpful, it was a real pleasure staying there. If we are ever in Santiago again, this is were we would stay without any hesitation. Do yourself a favour and book your stay with total confidence. Santiago is a magnificent city, full of grand buildings and parks. It is a very affluent city - people there are friendly.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple