“Decent Stay in Santiago, a bit unsafe area by night”

Hotel Diego de Almagro Santiago Centro
Ranked #124 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
Barcelona, Spain
“Decent Stay in Santiago, a bit unsafe area by night”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Hotel is decent and the room I got was really big (two king size beds) with enough space to be comfortable.

The breakfast gets really crowded and in the complete week I stayed in, I couldn't get a coffe any single day! It was always empty.

The most important thing is that the area is not that friendly by night, even the Hotel staff told me that one of the nights I came back after dinner.

I would recommend a location closer to Providencia or Metro Santa Lucia which seems to be a more friendly area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Since this was the only hotel I stayed at in Chile, I'm not sure how it compares. However, I found the decor dated (think 80's Golden Girls) and the bathroom (especially shower) quite small. On the plus side, it was clean and I did sleep well. Decent location not far from subway and in walking distance to several sites. If you're not planning on staying in the room much, it's not a bad place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Skien, Norway
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed 4 nights in this hotell, and it was 4 nights to many.
When I tried to check in the claimed that didnt have a reservation.
hmm.. thats strange I stand in front of you with my reservation. so after 30 or 40 minutes the recepsionist gave me a shabby room that should be uppgraded years ago, the bathroom is not even worth mention.
But I dont let that ruin my days in Santiago so I went to the hotell restaurant an ordered a steak, rumour has it that in Chile you get a nice juicy steak.
So much for that rumour, when the dish gets thrown to my table it was the driest piece of meat I ever tasted.. it was a laugh. Just a dry steak, no potato, no salad or vegetables and no sauce.. I took a few bites since I was hungry as a lion.

The service at the hotell was as bad as it can be, no smile no service at all, I felt bothered every time I went by the reception...
Just outside the hotell in the street there was lots of big homeless dogs.
I didnt feel safe at all.
Stay away from this hotell, if I can call it a hotell!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Jericho J

Travelers are raving about these Santiago hotels

US
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Only spent one night at the hotel, but it was enough to determine this is definitely a rundown, well located, but average to below-average hotel. A look at the lobby confirms it. Rooms are small. Internet connection at the room did not work (and the front desk didn't even care to find out why the wireless connection didn't work) but was able to connect at the lobby. Had to wake up at 4am to take a bus to southern Chile and the hot water was not working (during winter). And last, the front desk wasn't of any help in fetching a taxi (the phone line is busy, go outside and find yourself a taxi at 5am). If you just need a bed in a well located hotel, this will probably do. If you expect good service and expect to get your money's worth, look somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We spent 3 nights here and it was ok, nothing to rave about. The service was faultless, the staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel is well located by the palace and by the metro is you wished to use it (cheap, clean and user friendly).
The breakfast buffet was ok, cereals, fruit, toast, patries - the basics. The scrambbled eggs were cold though, so you had to warm that up in the microwave provided.
The hotel food otherwise was shockingly poor, beef was cut the wrong way so you could not eat it, there was only 1 waiter so we helped ourselves to drinks and bread, and most uof us wished we went into town.
Lastly, the rooms were ok, but very cold. Apparently, most people complain about this and the cold water. We had a cold room and the hearting never worked despite being cranked to 35c, but we did have hot water. When we compalined, they gave us a blanket. The bed was very soft and uncomfortable.
There is a pool, but this was never cleaned, is tiny, and is always in the shadow of the surrounding buildings. There was no fitness centre we could use, but we ran outside which was fine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I have recently spent 5 nights here and was a bit concerned before had as I had read the reviews and some weren't that good. But once I arrived, saw that it was great value for money and a very comfortable stay. I was on the 11th floor and the room was spacious, clean and had a fridge but no mini bar, which was fine as I could stock it with my own things. Housekeeping did a great job and serviced the room every day. The reception staff were always helpful and some spoke very good english, as my Spanish is non existant. The hotel is in a great location and you can easily walk everywhere and the Metro station is very close by. Breakfast is European style so no hot food but you could help yourself to whatever you wanted.
My only negative is the Wi-fi. It was quite poor coverage but was free. I would say it was more a 3 star hotel rather than 4 but a very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: the higher floors have a nice view on the west side
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I spent 5 nights at the hotel, I must say that it is not the ideal hotel for business, I travelled with two people who did not speak Spanish, and the hotel staff that received us did not speak English, so I had to translate. The rooms are comfortable, but very simple, it has a safe, but no frigobar. I recommend not ordering taxis to the hotel staff, as you end up paying three times what it actually takes the trip. The exterior of the hotel is quite poor, is surrounded by stores, and only a small door marks the entrance to the hotel. It is well located, close to the center of Santiago which makes it quite easy to get around the city, as it has the subway station nearby. Do not consider it a four star, but from what I paid (almost 90USD / night) it's Ok.

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the street are quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business