“Great location POOR staff”

The Bellavista Hostel
Ranked #36 of 488 Specialty Lodging in Santiago
Auckland, New Zealand
“Great location POOR staff”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is a brilliantly located hostel- in the coolest part of Santiago near restaurants and bars/clubs. The rooms and facilities are standerd. The staff however- particularly ALEX were appauling. On check-in Alex didn't offer any help or show us around. I later asked him if there were any Veggie places to eat around and he just anwered with a snarky "No". After I got my bag and camera stolen when walking up San Cristobel hill (do not walk up alone- I was with one other girl and the thugs appraoched from behind with a knife) We went to him and asked what to do. He said as long as I hadn't got my passport or cards nicked, everything else was "[--]". This was when I was obviously shaken by the experience and gutted about losing my new camera and precious photos. This boy obviously resents every second he has to work here and has become a proper downer. So different to the amazing staff one usually gets. Worth avoiding this hostel just cause of him.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank WildAmber
ngonz, General Manager at The Bellavista Hostel, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Hi Amber,

Just a late update. We had a flood of bad reviews of Alex so he has fired shortly after your stay. We apologize for the horrible service you had to endure and hope we can make it up on your next visit to Santiago. Many thanks for your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Unfriendly and unhelpful staff. Really dark rooms and the kitchen was in need of a clean. The bedding, though clean was really tired. The only thing its going for it really is the location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Almere, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We had a dormitory and it was very noisy and not from the people who were in there but outside. Also the staff was really weird and couldn't help us properly because they we're facing a huge hangover. We didn't liked it at all. Another strange thing happened with the breakfast because they ran out of bread. Instead of buying it they just closed the breakfast. The only good thing is the location.

Room Tip: don't take a room next to the doorbell
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of days after a couple of awful nights at Aji hostel. When we arrived we were exhausted.... recognizing this the owner put us in a double room instead of a dorm without charging us for the upgrade.
The rooms were clean, there is a huge hang out area, a kitchen and best of all it is right in the heart of all the action in bellavista without being noisy at night!
I couldn't recommend this hostel enough!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This hostel was great! The location was amazing. Located by many fun restaurants, shops, and discotecas. This hostel was also close to a large metro stop at Plaza Italia. I originally planned to stay here for only 3 nights, but ended up changing it to 6 nights with NO PROBLEM. I got to stay in the same room too which was great. I was in a separate side of the hostel that is for more private rooms, not with all of the big dorm rooms. I felt so safe, even walking around alone when my local boyfriend was at work and school. The room was kind of small, but I didn't care at all. I had a big window that looked out onto the street below. Most of the front office employees were really nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jessicaflippin
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hostal is located in the best area of Santiago, vibrant Bellavista. Restaurants and theatres around, street art and more. But in the hostal bathrooms numbers are limited and the standard is poor. Double rooms have a decent size but are very noisy from inside and outside noises. The mattresses are horrible and the WiFi connection is the worst I have seen in South America. I would stay in the same area next time but not in Bellavista hostal again.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Hansworld
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review. I wanted to get back to you to say that the hostel is undergoing refurbishments. Bathrooms, kitchen and common areas first, guest rooms will follow.
Other upgrades since your stay include:
Serta@ spring matresses in every bed including dorm beds.
Fiberoptic dedicated internet connection with super wi-fi throughout the property.

If you are back in Santiago we hope to accommodate you again.

Regards,

Gonzalo Rodriguez
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We stayed here one night based on recommendation on Hostelworld and Tripadvisor.

The location honestly cannot be better in terms of proximity to nightlife and restaurants. The Providencia neighborhood is a great place to be.

The hostel left a lot to be desired....
- Loud - we were in their annex building with a room facing the street. There were drunk people talking loudly and singing from 3am to 6am from all the clubs. But, you are across from the hottest clubs in Santiago so I guess it comes with the territory.

- Not clean - First, we had a room with a shared bathroom where we had to go up a flight of stairs for the closet of a bathroom. It was not very clean but also was not disgusting. Again I guess it due course when you are sharing with some random folks. The bed itself was not very comfortable and the sheets left us wondering when they were washed last.

With that said, I was traveling with my wife and in our four months of traveling this was the only shared bathroom type situation we stayed in so our requirements may be higher than their target audience.

Overall, the place is not great and I would not recommend staying there. However, for the location was perfect and was literally a block from some of the best restaurants.

Room Tip: Get a room with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple