“Great resort like property, but rooms need updating”

Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #72 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The hotel is a great hotel, slightly outside of the downtown area, but within walking distance or an easy cab ride away. The common areas of the hotel, including the lush outdoor area are fantastic! I was a little disappointed with the rooms though. the rooms could use an update, seemed like something I would have seen ten or so years ago. The rooms are also on the smaller side. I was originally given a smoking room with two double beds, I asked to be moved to a non-smoking room with one bed. I was given a non-smoking room with two twin beds! At 6'2" twin beds provided for a less than pleasurable nights sleep. The outdoor buffet was nice, but on the second day, I believe that I got food poisoning from something that I ate there (it was the only place that I ate) so, I'd say just be careful! The firepits and pool are very nice at night. I found the front desk to be moderately helpful, though they seemed to have an issue with the fact that we are a same sex couple and wanted a room with one bed. The concierge was terrible. They wanted us to use their transportation and refused to call a radio cab even though we had the contact number for the company that we wanted to use. He told us the company would not have a cab available and refused to assist us further.

1  Thank TnTraveler274
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear TnTraveler274:

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you mentioned and be sure that corrective measures will be taken with our staff to avoid that situations like described by you be repeated to other guests.

Regarding your comments on our outdoor restaurant, we have not been able to identify problems similar to the one mentioned by you. However, I would truly appreciate if you could contact me directly to my email: howie.brown@sheraton.com to provide me with more information in order to follow up with this situation.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I used to stay at Sheratons for my business travels, but this experience has made me go else where when traveling. Grant you, the hotel was having some remodeling done, and even with the remodeling, the property was impressive. The breakfast buffet and bar were well done and executed well. However, in all my years of traveling, I have not had such a poor and rude check in experience like this one. For future reference, if you ever want to see how not to treat customers, I would use this location as an example. After waiting nearly an hour, I was given a unclean room. It had the feel, as if someome has used the room and not slept in the beds, and had few remaining towels. I was able to flag down a maid for the towels. But after unsucessfully contacting the front desk, I went to the lobby were I was faced with another line that wrapped around the lobby. Needless to say, despite, the impressive grounds, bar and buffet, this is not a hotel I would return to.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank TGG312
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear TGG312;

I am very sorry to read your review and learnt that your experience was not good enough.

By the other hand, Trip Advisor is a very important tool for us since the feedback received give us a chance everyday to improve our performance and service.
Your comments have been shared with my Director of Rooms and his staff to take actions and correct inappropiate attitudes.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

My best regards,

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was there in June 2012 for 2 weeks while awaiting a move downtown. Overall, it was a positive experience. The lobby bar is a relaxing open concept area where many congregate to watch the sports that they place on the tvs. They have good entertainment there and the servers, pretty cold and efficient (as I said, busy place) initially, warmed up and were very friendly as I visited often. There is free internet if physically connected in the lobby area. You have to pay in the room as all higher end hotels do (????).

This is a busy hotel, right on the main toll highway in and out of Santiago, and it's used by mainly airline staff. The check in, front desk and bellboys are courteous and efficient, and there really is never much of a wait as the hotel is well- staffed. There is ample underground parking onsite.

The rooms are comfortable, although the quality of the furniture is a little disappointing for a Sheraton and the rate charged. I found it almost impossible to get the room to a comfortable temperature, either too hot or too cold. Thermostats where you can set an actual temperature are a must upgrade for this hotel! Finally decided to turn up the heat, then turn it off at night. My biggest complaint is that my room had a closet that wasn't deep enough to hang anything up. My six suits had to go in on an angle to fit! That meant that my shirts didn't fit so I had to iron a new one each day. Problem is, there are no irons in the rooms (at least not mine). They brought one on request, but kept taking it away. The closet problem was apparently just my room on the 2nd floor. My colleague was on the club floor and didn't have this problem. Funny thing is, he is not a SPG member and was staying for 2 nights and got the upgrade. I'm a SPG member, was staying for 2 weeks, and got half a closet!

The food was very basic, and there is really nothing else around the hotel. A car or taxi is needed to access any real civilization. I understand that they have since changed the chef and menu. Breakfast buffet is good.

My company gets a good rate at this hotel, which made it a really good deal. I'd stay at the Grand Hyatt, the Marriott or the Ritz if wanting a high end hotel with better access to the city. The two former are within walking distance to the Parque Arauco mall, and the latter is in a nice part of Las Condes with many nice restaurants and bars nearby.

Room Tip: Careful, some rooms have a 1/2 closet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Steve D

Dear Steve D,

Thank you for your review.

I feel sorry you felt so dissapointed with the closet size and AC problems; I would like to share with you that we have a remodelation plan for all rooms at Sheraton Hotel. This renovation will consist on furniture, carpet, curtains, AC, and decoration.

For your next stay, I will like to have a coffee with you and discuss personally about your comments.

Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel at the end of October for a business meeting. The rooms are tired (although clean) and are due a refurb. The public areas have been refurbished and and clean and modern. The food was disappointing - I had a three day meeting and the same menu (Fillet steak or fish fillet) was served for 5 consecutive meals!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank GingerHazz
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear GingerHazz;

Thank you for your comments.

Regarding the menu mentioned on your review, generally the food is choosen by the organizer of the event, I am sorry to hear that this issue did not fulfill your expectations.

Best regards,

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel was very busy with at least two conferences on. Check in was very slow. The room was clean but a bit noisy with an adjoining room through a door. A good selection of pillows and a comfortable bed but a duvet that would suit arctic conditions and reuired the air-conditioner to be on the lowest setting.
A buffet lunch around the pool was very pleasant but was extremely expensive for what was served.
Service in the restaurant and bars was slow to non-existent and I had to go and fetch my own coffee at breakfast. Large numbers of table left in a used condition which made it difficult to dind somewhere to sit. Nobody seemed to be replenishing glasses or plates.
A small glass of mediocre wine in the bar cost nearly as much as a bottle elsewhere and I had to chase the barman to get an account.
Wifi was intermittent and very slow, not what you expect from a hotel of this price.
Drains seemed to be blocked.
Altogether a poor experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inside of the hotel are quieter
1  Thank Frank F

Dear Frank F,

I am really sorry to read your review and the details about your experience, and that you left our hotel dissapointed with our service. I investigated with our F&B staff, and the service was a litlle slow during the days of the conference you mentioned.
I hope you have the chance to visit us again and enjoy the hotel and its facilities as you deserve.
Please contact me directly to my email: howie.brown@sheraton.com, in order to handle your booking personally.

My best regards,

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Thus is the second time I stay at this hotel and both times it was not that good. This time I arrived for check-in (after three) and my room was not ready. I asked if I would get free lunch and the front desk clerk laughed!

Lunch is not at all worth it. It is very expensive and not good. And the service is terrible. It took 10 minutes to get a knife and fork and 20 to get drinks.

Dinner on the other hand is very good and at a good price. But service was also not too good. The water I order with the wine only arrived 10 minutes later.

Breakfast is very good and the wifi works everywhere!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was at the hotel during 5 days.
I experienced certain problems:
a) The washbasin was clogged and inversely I couldn´t close the plug in the bathtub to take a sitz bath. Other people has the bathtub clogged.
b) The maid enter more than once intempestively into the room without awaiting I open the door.
c) During a cocktail in a big ball room it was unbearable hot. Some people nearly fainted. It was due to a failure of one of the air aconditioner system or eventually for not turning it on with sufficient anticipation.
The location is far from Sanhattan , a zone full of restaurants: Only a good restaurant (Aqui esta Coco) is nearby, after crossing two broad avenues and a bridge over a river.

1  Thank Revtra0151