“Not bad, good corporate rate made it very worthwhile”

Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #71 of 198 Hotels in Santiago
Toronto, Canada
“Not bad, good corporate rate made it very worthwhile”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I was there in June 2012 for 2 weeks while awaiting a move downtown. Overall, it was a positive experience. The lobby bar is a relaxing open concept area where many congregate to watch the sports that they place on the tvs. They have good entertainment there and the servers, pretty cold and efficient (as I said, busy place) initially, warmed up and were very friendly as I visited often. There is free internet if physically connected in the lobby area. You have to pay in the room as all higher end hotels do (????).

This is a busy hotel, right on the main toll highway in and out of Santiago, and it's used by mainly airline staff. The check in, front desk and bellboys are courteous and efficient, and there really is never much of a wait as the hotel is well- staffed. There is ample underground parking onsite.

The rooms are comfortable, although the quality of the furniture is a little disappointing for a Sheraton and the rate charged. I found it almost impossible to get the room to a comfortable temperature, either too hot or too cold. Thermostats where you can set an actual temperature are a must upgrade for this hotel! Finally decided to turn up the heat, then turn it off at night. My biggest complaint is that my room had a closet that wasn't deep enough to hang anything up. My six suits had to go in on an angle to fit! That meant that my shirts didn't fit so I had to iron a new one each day. Problem is, there are no irons in the rooms (at least not mine). They brought one on request, but kept taking it away. The closet problem was apparently just my room on the 2nd floor. My colleague was on the club floor and didn't have this problem. Funny thing is, he is not a SPG member and was staying for 2 nights and got the upgrade. I'm a SPG member, was staying for 2 weeks, and got half a closet!

The food was very basic, and there is really nothing else around the hotel. A car or taxi is needed to access any real civilization. I understand that they have since changed the chef and menu. Breakfast buffet is good.

My company gets a good rate at this hotel, which made it a really good deal. I'd stay at the Grand Hyatt, the Marriott or the Ritz if wanting a high end hotel with better access to the city. The two former are within walking distance to the Parque Arauco mall, and the latter is in a nice part of Las Condes with many nice restaurants and bars nearby.

Room Tip: Careful, some rooms have a 1/2 closet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve D
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Steve D,

Thank you for your review.

I feel sorry you felt so dissapointed with the closet size and AC problems; I would like to share with you that we have a remodelation plan for all rooms at Sheraton Hotel. This renovation will consist on furniture, carpet, curtains, AC, and decoration.

For your next stay, I will like to have a coffee with you and discuss personally about your comments.

Howie Brown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Royston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel at the end of October for a business meeting. The rooms are tired (although clean) and are due a refurb. The public areas have been refurbished and and clean and modern. The food was disappointing - I had a three day meeting and the same menu (Fillet steak or fish fillet) was served for 5 consecutive meals!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank GingerHazz
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear GingerHazz;

Thank you for your comments.

Regarding the menu mentioned on your review, generally the food is choosen by the organizer of the event, I am sorry to hear that this issue did not fulfill your expectations.

Best regards,

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The hotel was very busy with at least two conferences on. Check in was very slow. The room was clean but a bit noisy with an adjoining room through a door. A good selection of pillows and a comfortable bed but a duvet that would suit arctic conditions and reuired the air-conditioner to be on the lowest setting.
A buffet lunch around the pool was very pleasant but was extremely expensive for what was served.
Service in the restaurant and bars was slow to non-existent and I had to go and fetch my own coffee at breakfast. Large numbers of table left in a used condition which made it difficult to dind somewhere to sit. Nobody seemed to be replenishing glasses or plates.
A small glass of mediocre wine in the bar cost nearly as much as a bottle elsewhere and I had to chase the barman to get an account.
Wifi was intermittent and very slow, not what you expect from a hotel of this price.
Drains seemed to be blocked.
Altogether a poor experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inside of the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Frank F
Dear Frank F,

I am really sorry to read your review and the details about your experience, and that you left our hotel dissapointed with our service. I investigated with our F&B staff, and the service was a litlle slow during the days of the conference you mentioned.
I hope you have the chance to visit us again and enjoy the hotel and its facilities as you deserve.
Please contact me directly to my email: howie.brown@sheraton.com, in order to handle your booking personally.

My best regards,

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Thus is the second time I stay at this hotel and both times it was not that good. This time I arrived for check-in (after three) and my room was not ready. I asked if I would get free lunch and the front desk clerk laughed!

Lunch is not at all worth it. It is very expensive and not good. And the service is terrible. It took 10 minutes to get a knife and fork and 20 to get drinks.

Dinner on the other hand is very good and at a good price. But service was also not too good. The water I order with the wine only arrived 10 minutes later.

Breakfast is very good and the wifi works everywhere!

1 Thank Richard L
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was at the hotel during 5 days.
I experienced certain problems:
a) The washbasin was clogged and inversely I couldn´t close the plug in the bathtub to take a sitz bath. Other people has the bathtub clogged.
b) The maid enter more than once intempestively into the room without awaiting I open the door.
c) During a cocktail in a big ball room it was unbearable hot. Some people nearly fainted. It was due to a failure of one of the air aconditioner system or eventually for not turning it on with sufficient anticipation.
The location is far from Sanhattan , a zone full of restaurants: Only a good restaurant (Aqui esta Coco) is nearby, after crossing two broad avenues and a bridge over a river.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Revtra0151
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed October 31, 2012

In my opinion the room was very confortable but with a major problem. Wifi did not work in the room at all. Considering that most of the guests were there for business and you have to pay for the access, its difficult to admit such failure.
The breakfast is really good, and the pool area is pretty cool.
I had a very good stay (despite for the internet issue) and I would come back there.

Room Tip: Andes view
1 Thank Andre_Kimura
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Andre_Kimura;

Thanks for your review. I have contacted you via email regarding your wifi problem and I hope you can send us a response soon.

Apart from this issue, I am glad that you enjoyed our remodelated facilities and our food quality.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We really enjoyed the location of this hotel. Close to great walking trails, shopping center and parks. They cater to most of the flight crews visiting Santiago so service is good, the food is very good.
Our favourite amenity was the fireplaces out by the pool in the evenings....Fabulous!!
nice gym (although tight for space) and nice spa

lunch buffets are out of this world, but pricey. Not many staff speak much English, but we managed

The hotel rooms could use a carpet upgrade and bathroom fixture upgrade (falling apart), but pillows and beds were very comfortable, rooms clean and good views of the city.
Our a/c wasn't working well at all so sleeping was not good most nights and we found the room a little dry, but we received 2 water bottles daily.

We would go to this hotel again but insist on a room with working AC. otherwise a good facility.

Room Tip: Make sure you inspect the room well before moving in, if AC doesn't work or anything is not to y...
1 Thank Louanne C
Dear Louanne C,
I read your comments very carefully and I am glad to know that you enjoyed our food. A new Executive Chef has joined the team and the food served at our restaurants is really amazing, not only the preparation, but the presentation.

Regarding the room 's comments I would like to inform that we are developing a project to improve all rooms at Sheraton, that include carpet change, wallpapers, modern decor, bathrooms and A/C.

I will share your review with the Executive Chef, he will be very proud.

Best regards,