“guest relations”

Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #71 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel staff is very attentive . Marianela Cartagena , the guest relations executive seemed to be around every corner making sure all our needs were met . Every encounter I had with hotel staff , I was greeted with an authentic smile and warm engagement .
The only complaint I might have is that on two different occasions I was miss informed of hours of operations of a restaurant and a museum . This posed a slight inconvenience in itinerary .
Thank you staff again for a nice visit !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jay P
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Jay P,

Thank you for the nice comments about Marianela. She is an asset for the hotel and I am very proud to have her as a member of our Operational Team

I hope you have the chance to come back and visit us again.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We have booked in her for 8 nights and have only been her for a few hours and very disappoint.
The room is very small, the bathroom is minuet.
Have had a long flight went to get into bed and found the sheet stained had to have them replaced.
The bathroom towel have seen better days and need go in the bin.
Them must have better rooms but we sure have not seen them....... Not looking forward to our long stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gregsuzanne

Dear Gregsuzanne;

I was very sorry to read your comments regarding your stay at our hotel. Our Guest Relations Manager got in contact with you on my behalf, in order to apologize for the inconveniences you faced at the first time. Fortunately we could offer you another room and hope that this action improved your experience at our hotel.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Check in was easy. Danilo at front desk was very helpful. Even helped me to check in early after my overnite flight. Allowed me to wait in the club, where the host Javier was very gracious. I was told it would be an hour wait, which turned into about 2.5 hours. No complaints since their policy is a 3PM checkin. When I got in the room (upgraded to a suite), the ‘sofa’ side smelled of smoke, but the bed side did not.

It was a nice suite, but you can tell it’s an older property from the trim and walls. Worst of all, the AC didn’t work. I turned it all the way down for an hour, and still sweated. Went down to the front desk at 5PM, who said they would have another room for me in an hour. After 1 and a half hours sitting in my hot room, I went back down to the front desk. “My colleague was supposed to do that. I’m sorry,” was the response. I was quickly given a new room key to another suite on the 4th floor, which was thankfully cool and actually nicer (and less smellier) than the one on the club floor. There was a fax/printer in the room and a stereo system. I received a call from the management to be sure everything was OK. Great view of the pool and mountains.

The hotel needs a bit of updating the trim. While the furnishings are nice and modern, the detail shows its age. The shower head didn’t work well at all. The toilet & bidet were a little cramped together. There was no remote in the bedroom for the TV.

I had my breakfast in the Club, which was adequate an obviously included in my stay. I didn’t eat at the restaurants, but there were 2 onsite.

The gym is quite nice. Many pieces of new cardio and machine weights, but a little low on space.

Wireless internet was a bit slow, even though it was newly installed. Cost about $14 USD. I know they are upgrading their wireless throughout the hotel, but I wish it would be included in the cost.

I'm glad they are planning to do room renovations soon. Despite these issues, I really liked the employees. That can make a big difference. The best part of my stay was chatting with Felipe the bartender. Loved the big-screen TV with sports to watch.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the mountains
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank EfficientTraveler
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear EfficientTraveler;

I would like to sincerely thank you for writing about your experience in this important media. In spite there were some issues during your stay, I feel that your whole stay was satisfying.
Danilo,Felipe & Javier will get a recognition letter for the welldone job.

I have shared your letter with the Supervisors involved in check in process, maitenance, so they can take actions on their areas, to improve when necessary, or to congratulate their staff.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Rooms are very small, but the bathrooms are even smaller. No bidet (which you expect in a 200 dollar hotel) and not enough space. Mediocre bed. What really surprised me was the noise, walls are quite thin so constantly hear doors open & close. Whats really worth it are the gardens & views. Service is impeccable, good breakfast. I believe though that there are better options in Santiago for 100-150 bucks.

Room Tip: I liked the garden view better than the city view (which you can see from the elevator hall), they o...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Estanislao H
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Estanislao H;

Thank you for your review. I regret your experience was not as you expected.
We just finished a full renovation in all our public areas, gardens and convention center. The rooms will be remodelated next year, considering courtains, carpets & furnitures in order to offer a modern & attractive look.

Your positive commnets about our breakfast service will be shared with our Executive Chef.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Check in was a little slow at first but it wasn't there fault. Some sort of cumputer glitch. It was very busy so i didnt get into my room until 6:00, but they let us use the pool and fitness center while we waited.
The hotel was very clean, restaurant was excellent and the service staff was friendly.
You will be with walking distance to Bellavista, Las Condes and Plaza des Armes.

You cannot go wrong staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank ontariogirl77
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Ontariogirl77;

This is to thank your review about Sheraton Santiago. I am sorry you get into your room around 6pm, fortunately you enjoyed our gym and its facilities.

I hope you visit our city again and I will be a pleasure to host you in our property.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton for a night after arriving from the United States on a long overnight flight. From the very beginning the staff was extremely friendly. Although we arrived long before check-in time they were more than willing to accommodate us with early check-in. The manager on duty spoke to us about what there was to do in the city, and made several recommendations after finding out it was our first time in the city.

The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest subway, and the walk takes you down a street lined with restaurants and coffee shops. The subway is then a short ride into old town (note - we found the subway very easy to navigate and have minimal Spanish skills).

The hotel rooms were dated, but the room was comfortable, the temperature controls worked well, and everything was in good working order. Not the greatest room I've stayed in before, but there's nothing that I would complain about. Our room faced the mountain, so there wasn't much to see outside.

Breakfast (complimentary for all rates, I believe) was well stocked and all of the pastry and meat was quite good. The true highlight though was Wednesday night - at 7:30pm every week in the bar they have a fashion show. One of the more random things I've run into at a hotel. 3 models, a DJ and an announcer spent about 45 minutes showing us various dresses (very, very, short dresses). The place was packed, and there was good people watching since the convention center was hosting the World Baptist convention.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a decent place to lay their head for the night. Only complaint - no wifi in the normal rooms (only the club level).

Room Tip: If you want wifi you'll need to ask for a room on the club level (and probably pay for it).
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tweeterhold
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Tweeterhold,

I enjoyed very much reading your nice comments about this hotel and happy that you enjoyed our fashion show at the Lobby Bar. Regarding WiFi access in all rooms at the Sheraton , this will be available to be used in the upcoming 2 months, with a 30MB of internet access speed.

it would be great to host you again.

Truly yours,

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Am here for 6 days having checked in today - not sure of the wisdom of doing a review whilst still mid-stay but here goes..... I have a hectic week of work in Santiago and was looking forward to having the Sheraton as my oasis from work. I almost checked into another hotel for the week, to be honest, but have decided to stick it out only by virtue of the friendliness of the staff.

The hotel is dated and in need of some TLC. The public areas are well-maintained and spacious and harbour a Sheraton "feel", however the building from the outside is dated and looks like a aging concrete skyscraper set in the hillside.

Reception allowed me to check in early which was pre-arranged and very much appreciated after a 14 hour flight from Paris which landed early Sunday morning. My standard room is smaller than expected but is sufficient for me. The bathroom is very small and dated although full of a range of soaps/shampoos which is always appreciated. The towels, while plentiful, look about 15 years old and have a grey tinge to them which suggests either age has got the better of them and/or they have been overwashed.

First major problem - no wifi in rooms (despite the receptionist giving me the log in procedures when I collected the room key!) - managed to get a weak wifi signal from my third floor room, only to lose the signal whilst in the process of charging CLP 7,000 to my room for the daily use. Spoke to the business services centre who were helpful but advised that only LAN cable internet acccess was available from the rooms (for CLP 7,000 daily) - which I managed to sort on my laptop but my iPhone and iPad have had a fruitless journey from Europe! However apparently there is a free 30 minute session available in the public lobby wifi - which I tried only to be faced with the CLP 7,000 per day page again - however you could use the session details already paid for on the cable charge from your room which was acceptable (but no free 30 minutes!)

Needed a quick haircut to tidy up before the week starts - no problem - drop in at the in house barbers downstairs which should be open from about 10.30am on Sunday according to reception - I popped down at 11am only to find opening hours on the door for every day except Sunday - closed all day!

Not a problem, the very helpful concierge arranged me a taxi to the Costaneras Centre which is a nearby shopping centre which has only been open 6 weeks - it was vast but very quiet although I did manage to find a unisex hair salon who did the honours. But why did reception at the hotel tell me the hotel's hairdressers was open when it clearly does not open on a Sunday?!

Back to the rooms - ample-sized mini bar beneath the TV with a price list card next to it - let's have a soft drink - or not - the thing is totally empty when you turn the key and open it.....maybe it's because I checked-in early and they need to fill it - let's ring reception and check. No "hotel policy" is that you ask for the mini-bar service via reception. And yes, they ahve a pre-authorisation of my credit card behind reception, so I do not understand this most bizarre of policies!

Free room safe is a nice touch and the A/C heating seems to work well, although I had to ask for an iron and ironing board which was promptly delivered. Bed comfortable but too many pillows.

I was expecting 4/5 star and have 3-star services/room with a 4-star lobby downstairs. It will do for a week I suppose but it is not what I was expecting.

Room Tip: Ask for one with views
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jeteasy
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Jeteasy;

It was a pleasure to talk with you during your stay.
I am sure that the actions taken will improve your experience and will revert the bad impression caused.

I really hope you feel at home now and I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced at the hotel.

Cordially,