“Good location, comfortable hotel”

Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #72 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Check in was a little slow at first but it wasn't there fault. Some sort of cumputer glitch. It was very busy so i didnt get into my room until 6:00, but they let us use the pool and fitness center while we waited.
The hotel was very clean, restaurant was excellent and the service staff was friendly.
You will be with walking distance to Bellavista, Las Condes and Plaza des Armes.

You cannot go wrong staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank ontariogirl77
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Dear Ontariogirl77;

This is to thank your review about Sheraton Santiago. I am sorry you get into your room around 6pm, fortunately you enjoyed our gym and its facilities.

I hope you visit our city again and I will be a pleasure to host you in our property.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton for a night after arriving from the United States on a long overnight flight. From the very beginning the staff was extremely friendly. Although we arrived long before check-in time they were more than willing to accommodate us with early check-in. The manager on duty spoke to us about what there was to do in the city, and made several recommendations after finding out it was our first time in the city.

The hotel is a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest subway, and the walk takes you down a street lined with restaurants and coffee shops. The subway is then a short ride into old town (note - we found the subway very easy to navigate and have minimal Spanish skills).

The hotel rooms were dated, but the room was comfortable, the temperature controls worked well, and everything was in good working order. Not the greatest room I've stayed in before, but there's nothing that I would complain about. Our room faced the mountain, so there wasn't much to see outside.

Breakfast (complimentary for all rates, I believe) was well stocked and all of the pastry and meat was quite good. The true highlight though was Wednesday night - at 7:30pm every week in the bar they have a fashion show. One of the more random things I've run into at a hotel. 3 models, a DJ and an announcer spent about 45 minutes showing us various dresses (very, very, short dresses). The place was packed, and there was good people watching since the convention center was hosting the World Baptist convention.

Overall I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a decent place to lay their head for the night. Only complaint - no wifi in the normal rooms (only the club level).

Room Tip: If you want wifi you'll need to ask for a room on the club level (and probably pay for it).
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tweeterhold
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Tweeterhold,

I enjoyed very much reading your nice comments about this hotel and happy that you enjoyed our fashion show at the Lobby Bar. Regarding WiFi access in all rooms at the Sheraton , this will be available to be used in the upcoming 2 months, with a 30MB of internet access speed.

it would be great to host you again.

Truly yours,

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Am here for 6 days having checked in today - not sure of the wisdom of doing a review whilst still mid-stay but here goes..... I have a hectic week of work in Santiago and was looking forward to having the Sheraton as my oasis from work. I almost checked into another hotel for the week, to be honest, but have decided to stick it out only by virtue of the friendliness of the staff.

The hotel is dated and in need of some TLC. The public areas are well-maintained and spacious and harbour a Sheraton "feel", however the building from the outside is dated and looks like a aging concrete skyscraper set in the hillside.

Reception allowed me to check in early which was pre-arranged and very much appreciated after a 14 hour flight from Paris which landed early Sunday morning. My standard room is smaller than expected but is sufficient for me. The bathroom is very small and dated although full of a range of soaps/shampoos which is always appreciated. The towels, while plentiful, look about 15 years old and have a grey tinge to them which suggests either age has got the better of them and/or they have been overwashed.

First major problem - no wifi in rooms (despite the receptionist giving me the log in procedures when I collected the room key!) - managed to get a weak wifi signal from my third floor room, only to lose the signal whilst in the process of charging CLP 7,000 to my room for the daily use. Spoke to the business services centre who were helpful but advised that only LAN cable internet acccess was available from the rooms (for CLP 7,000 daily) - which I managed to sort on my laptop but my iPhone and iPad have had a fruitless journey from Europe! However apparently there is a free 30 minute session available in the public lobby wifi - which I tried only to be faced with the CLP 7,000 per day page again - however you could use the session details already paid for on the cable charge from your room which was acceptable (but no free 30 minutes!)

Needed a quick haircut to tidy up before the week starts - no problem - drop in at the in house barbers downstairs which should be open from about 10.30am on Sunday according to reception - I popped down at 11am only to find opening hours on the door for every day except Sunday - closed all day!

Not a problem, the very helpful concierge arranged me a taxi to the Costaneras Centre which is a nearby shopping centre which has only been open 6 weeks - it was vast but very quiet although I did manage to find a unisex hair salon who did the honours. But why did reception at the hotel tell me the hotel's hairdressers was open when it clearly does not open on a Sunday?!

Back to the rooms - ample-sized mini bar beneath the TV with a price list card next to it - let's have a soft drink - or not - the thing is totally empty when you turn the key and open it.....maybe it's because I checked-in early and they need to fill it - let's ring reception and check. No "hotel policy" is that you ask for the mini-bar service via reception. And yes, they ahve a pre-authorisation of my credit card behind reception, so I do not understand this most bizarre of policies!

Free room safe is a nice touch and the A/C heating seems to work well, although I had to ask for an iron and ironing board which was promptly delivered. Bed comfortable but too many pillows.

I was expecting 4/5 star and have 3-star services/room with a 4-star lobby downstairs. It will do for a week I suppose but it is not what I was expecting.

Room Tip: Ask for one with views
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jeteasy
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Dear Jeteasy;

It was a pleasure to talk with you during your stay.
I am sure that the actions taken will improve your experience and will revert the bad impression caused.

I really hope you feel at home now and I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences you faced at the hotel.

Cordially,

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Santiago this week as I usually do when I come to Santiago. They REALLY need to do some renovation process for the rooms and the bathrooms, because they are just too old. Same with the linen. Towels just look overused. The tv in my room (although an LCD) did not work properly. The sink drainage smells every time the water is running. The shower division is loose in the lower end so whenever you shower, there is water on the floor. And I am talking about the executive floor, which has higher rates. I had to stay in one standard room and it was far worse. I had access to the executive lounge but it w just pointless. I went in one day to have breakfast (which was inc,used in my room rate) and there was nobody there and there was no coffee machine for self service. If you asked for an egg it will take them forever to bring them to you. The girls who are ther in the afternoon look really tired and they give you a dirty look if you ask for anything. So, although the location is convenient, I just stay there because of the points and because we usually have meetings in the rooms in the convention center.

Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Norma G
Reviewed August 11, 2012

If your familiar with Sheraton and Westin (Starwood) Hotels, you will be very surprised that while this hotel is a Sheraton, it presents more like a Westin. The service at the FD, Concierge and Club Lounge are astounding. English is spoken well at the Concierge desk and they do an amazing job helping you with trip plans! We reluctantly selected this hotel because it said Convention Center.. well .. that was a great decsion! As a business traveler, tourist, or conventionier this is a great place! The location is perfect to get anywhere in the city and was perfect with respect to the Airport, Bellavista, San Cristobal, Providencia, the Ski Areas and highways. You cant go wrong staying here. The rooms cleainlines is outstanding and everyone makes you feel like your part of their family! If you dont stay here your missing out on a great experience!!

Room Tip: Suites or Club Level rooms have great views and Club Lounge meals are amazing!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Art B
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Santiago for one night only and I was very happy not to stay more...
I was on the night flight from Madrid meaning early arrival, they told me that no room will be available until 3PM.
I had to fresh-up before going to work in the afternoon and they sent me to the gym to take a shower (very old gym, the bath area haven't been refurbished for at least 15 years).
Impossible to get a wifi access from the lobby, it was all password protected and the credential the receptionist gave me didn't work.
Once I got my room, after my working day (old room, not what you expect from this kind of hotel) I had the surprise to learn that there was no Wifi (forget you iPhone or iPads or MacBook Airs) just a cable connection charged $15 per day for a poor quality Internet connection!
End of my experience, I went down for breakfast, I was a bit in a rush, 20 min to eat something and drink a coffee, tying to find a table, no table available! Only 1 small breakfast area for a hotel of this size! The only thing they found to tell me was to wait 15 min until someone finishes his breakfast!
Finally the hotel is not in a central location so you need to take a cab to go to any place. It is not easy to stop a normal cab (very cheap) because the nearest road is a kind of high speed way so the easiest solution is to take the hotel cab service that costs 5 times the price of a normal cab!
On my following trip to Santiago I went in a different hotel...
The outside pool looked nice though but with 3ºC in the air it didn't help to rise the mark...

Room Tip: Apparently there is a refurbished area...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Luc_France_Nice

Dear Luc_France_Nice;

In the first place, I would like to thank you for your time in writing this review. This is a very significant tool for us, as we may use these comments to focus our efforts in the areas in which our guests may not be impressed with the service we have offered.

I am very sorry to hear that you left our property unsatisfied with our services and I sincerely apologize for the experience provided.

I would like to mention that we have just finished a full remodeling process in all our public areas and we will continue with our rehab program where all rooms are considered with a complete change in the look & feel.

Also, WiFi access in all rooms at the Sheraton will be available to be used in the upcoming 2 months, with a 30MB of internet access speed.

I hope you reconsider your decision and give us a chance to take care of you in your next visit to Santiago.

My best regards,

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here a week during a congress. The bath room was a bit run down, but our room was nice. We enjoyed the meals in the nice restaurants. The hotel has a nice location some minutes outside downtown.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family