“Poor Sheraton”

Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #68 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel is more a four points with a Westin price. Rooms are small and very noisy (front of the motorway), bathroom really small and old. Very poor buffet breakfast and low quality. Far from the city. Nice swimming pool and quite good fitness center. Not the best option in Santiago.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Dear Fcme_11;

I am sorry to hear about your experience with us. I invite you to contact me to discuss further, my email : howie.brown@sheraton.com.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 9, 2012

Just came back from a two week stay at the sheraton in santiago. Fantastic service level, great food, spacious rooms... In short a must stay when in santiago !

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear Mr. ThierryVDubai:

Thank for your review. I am glad that our hotel fulfill all your needs and requirements.
It is always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

We recently stayed here for one night on our way to Valpariso. We arrived around noon, our room was ready and we had been upgraded to a tower room.. It was large, clean, and quiet. Also , it is one of the stops on the on-again/off-again bus tour. We woul stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Dear jraulq:

Thanks for your review. It was very nice to read your comments about Sheraton Santiago. I appreciate very much that you have taken part of your time to share your experience and I really hope that you have the chance to come back.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed March 15, 2012

before booking this hotel. Even when your room is booked and paid-for months ahead of time, if there is a convention, your priority for a room goes to the bottom of the heap.
We had 2 nights with a late check-out booked, post-cruise, via the cruise line. We arrived with 2 coach loads of post-cruisers at around 1.30p.m. We were informed the rooms would not be available until 3p.m. which we expected.
We had a lovely lunch at their El Jardin Coffee shop. During lunch we browsed tourist brochures, then booked a dinner/show for 8p.m that evening from the tourist desk. At 3p.m returned to the front desk. The clerk checked in the computer for a while and was just about to hand over a key card, when he stated he had to speak to his manager, then he disappeared into a back room for several more minutes. While waiting, someone called the desk to request a new key card, as someone was coming in to his room!! On return of our clerk, we were informed that the room was still not available. so being in Santiago such a short time, left our bags with the concierge and went to explore.
Returning at 7p.m. we found no room had yet been allocated for us. The manager offered to take us to another hotel, but we were being picked up at the Sheraton in less than 1 hour for the dinner/show. After much discussion, we were taken to the gym in the basement, with 1 suitcase in tow, to shower and change for dinner. Not ideal to prepare for a night out.
(I never did get any hot water out of that shower, although my husband said his was fine)
The gym-attendant was helpful, with towel and flip flops for me.
The manager did try to smooth things over, assuring us a room would be ready upon our return. He offered to pay for the dinner/show, which we accepted.
We returned at 11.45 and our room was ready, with luggage delivered - except it wasn't.
By the time we retrieved the luggage and found what we needed for an early start the next day, it was about 1a.m.
The last day of our stay, we found out that several of our fellow cruisers were sent off to another hotel "in an industrial area, and couldn't walk anywhere"
Another lady who had secured a room, just after 3p.m. on arrival, was called by phone and asked to vacate - (supposedly, they had late check-out prior to going to the airport)
Her husband was in the pool and by the time they returned, their key-card no longer worked, neccesitating another visit to the front desk. Thankfully after our morning excursion, the key card still worked. The maid had obviously made up the beds with clean linen, so my husband, not wanting to increase her work load, lay on the floor for an hour!
Apart from all the hassle of getting into a room we had found it clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom needed a bit of a make-over. The glass partition for the shower leaked water all over the floor. I couldn't understand why the bed-linen was beautiful, crisp, white and the towels (supposedly white) were grey, dingy and had dubious marks on them. (In my house they would have been designated for the dog)
The hotel had a spacious lobby with marble floors, computer centre and a bar. The bar was undergoing renovations, so the only other option was the bar near the pool. The Jardin Coffee shop had a reasonable choice of menu, the food was fresh and flavourful. Wait staff spoke English, were helpful and attentive. Their breakfast buffet had something for everyone. We never ate at the main restaurant. There is a wonderful sea-food restaurant less than a 10 minute walk away, Aqui esta Coco. We walked back after dark, being aware of our surroundings and wallets, as pickpockets are common. There were lots of people around and I never felt unsafe in this area.
This could be a great hotel. The downfall is booking conventions and not honouring previous bookings from cruise-lines (and who knows if other travellers receive the same treatment)
Post-cruisers earlier in the week had experienced the same problems.
There seems to be no shortage of staff in suits. We saw only one housekeeping maid the whole time we were there. (too many chiefs syndrome) The management appear to be hedging their bets with bookings, wanting their cake and eat it too.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

I am deeply troubled to hear about your experience at our hotel. I would love the chance to speak with you about your stay, so do not hesitate to contact me anytime at Howie.brown@sheraton.com.

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Room 406 was disgustingly dirty, mildewed smell in the room due to the shower which water over flow on the floor of bathroom and never dry, carpet had garbage on it, was not vacuum in days, the curtain were black of dirt, mirror and wall were dirty. There was no blowdryer or iron, and never got any help from housekeeping. Hotel front desk staff were unreliable for wake-up call, or any service ask, even condescending when answering customers.
At night there was prostitute in the lobby....there is no security staff visible in this hotel (very unusual for santiago, since every hotel have lots of guards) so anyone can enter the lobby, pool area, and room floor without any control.
If you like and hotel close to restaurant or shops, this is not the place to go...since you have to walk at least 30 minutes to get to main street, and to get there you have to use overpass crossing the busiest highway of Santiago plus a park, which after 8pm is dark and unsafe...with homeless and street dogs. This hotel is in Providencia, close to avenue septembre 11, which on sunday is shut down, all business are close. You will have to take a taxi or walk for 1 hours to get to civilization (in Las Condes or Victacura)
I suggest you choose the Marriott, Hyatt, Novotel, W Hotel, Intercontinental or Holiday even are all better safer and more entertaining then the Sheraton.

Only good things I can say about this hotel is the pool area with the mountain view, is really nice. Except the pool is freezing cold...I mean it! I am Canadian and use to cold water, but this was ridiculously cold, may as well bring your ice skate and skate on it.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, Marriott, Hyatt, Novotel, W Hotel are the same price range and much better.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Montreal35457382
HowieBrown206, General Manager at Sheraton Santiago Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2012

Dear Montreal35457382;

My name is Howie Brown, General Manager for our complex properties here in Santiago de Chile.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and that we did not delivered the quality of services we have been offering to our guests and clients for more than 45 years.

One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvements, and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. Your review has been shared with all departments involved in order to take immediate actions, mainly in Housekeeping and Security areas.

I feel sorry to hear that our hotel has failed with a valuable guest like you, moreover, I can assure you we will strengthen our internal controls in all areas you have mentioned, with the only purpose of bringing to all our guests the best possible service and attention.

I would really appreciate if you give me the chance to talk to you about your review personally, please, feel free to contact me at my email: howie.brown@sheraton.com

Sincerely.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

We were reserved for two-night post cruise reservation that was booked one year in advance and PAID infull. We checked in, told our room was assigned, but not cleaned yet; return in 2 hours for key. In two hours when getting key, we were told our reservation had been CANCELLED and we needed to be relocated to another hotel. There were about 20 other resered rooms that had same experience. The new hotel, while adequate, did not have same star rating nor same ammenties. Not a good way to end a trip.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blackdoodle152

Dear blackdoodle152:

Thank your for your feedback regarding your stay at our property.

We truly regret we failed to meet your expectations. We are conscious that we had to move a group of guests to another Hotel. This was a difficult decision to make, taking into consideration that one of our main objectives is offering wonderful experiences to build loyalty.

Due to operational constraints we were unable to assign those rooms to the group in reference. I kindly invite you to contact me to have the chance to discuss this issue further.
My email address is :howie.brown@sheraton.com

Very cordially,

Reviewed March 11, 2012

A simply delightful hotel. My wife and I stayed there for three days (before going on a Holland-America cruise around Sth America) and realy enjoyed it
We found the staff (front ccounter, room, restaraunts and lobby) helpful, obliging, friendly and warm.
Our room (512) looked up to a mountain and the surrounding greenery made it all very relaxing and scenic. They are currrently doing renovations and if I was to stay here again, I'd like a room facing the city....I think that would be fantastic-especially at night
The hotel is within easy walking distance of the city, shops and subway(an easy way to get around)
The restaraunts in the hotel serve quality food, although expensive....our included breakfast was superb, superb, superb...lots of variety, fresh and enticing
Overall, there's little to criticise about this hotel...however, i'll never understand why quality hotels like this don't have a dvd player in the room (considering the appaling tv programmes) and how a hotel like this tolerates shower and bath fittings which can only be described as diabolical!! I shouldn't have to get down on all fours to try and figure out how the shower works...or even get out of the shower, get my glasses and then try to follow instructions...what's wrong with taps!!!!

Room Tip: ask about the shower fittings....can a non-engineer-type understand them!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple