“Great looking hotel, lousy service”

The Ritz-Carlton, Santiago
Ranked #18 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 28, 2009

This Ritz is as beautiful as the many others at which we have stayed. The room was nicely appointed and the Bulgari products are always appreciated. Where this Ritz does not measure up is in terms of its service. For all the employees milling around, and there are many of them, the dining room hostesses forgot to return my coat/bags to me at two different opportunities. Attending a small private cocktail hour before a group dinner one night I asked for the classic Pisco Sour that most Chileans enjoy before dinner. It arrived 20 minute later, just as we were leaving for another dinner. I called down to the front desk early one morning to ask a few questions since there was absultuely no literature in my room to indicate whether the hotel charges for local calls (yes, they do and it's by the minute!). Since the phone in my room couldn't connect to the front desk or the operator I called the concierge, the next logical choice. A young man seemed overwhelmed by my questions (likelihood of rain that day), basically told me that these questons weren't his job (Despite the fact that I explained how my phone did not function as it should, he never offered to send maintenance to repair it) and put me on hold. I hung up after holding 5 minutes and called again. This time a pleasant young woman answered and said she would help me. After putting me on hold for each question and returning with very imprecise answers (200 pesos per local call. After some prodding she explained that it depended on the length of the call but could give no further details. One 10 minute call cost me 850 pesos), I decided not to waste any more time, 20 minutes having already elapsed. Check out was also difficult as I questioned a charge that was being paid for by the company which had invited me. It was removed but after a rather laborious process.
The young man who is the chief doorman (he wears a top hat) speaks very good English and is the type of Ritz employees you normally encounter on Ritz properties. Sadly, he seems to be the only member of the staff who reaches traditional Ritz standards.
Fortunately this is a great location with many other hotels (and restaurants) within easy walking distance so you have many good choices available all around.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank TravellinGal50
Write a ReviewReviews (1,433)

Reviewed August 10, 2009

Not much to say, besides it is a wonderful hotel with excellent service and very good location. Fancy and beautiful, big rooms and very clean. Friendly staff and very good service!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank saopaulo36
Reviewed July 5, 2009

The folks at The Ritz in Santiago sure know how to make a guy feel welcome. From the oh-so comfortable bed to the polite and attentive staff - and those delicious Bulgari products - every experience at this hotel reminds you that you are indeed in a special place.

There's lots to see and do in Santiago but definitely set aside a few hours to enjoy the gym, pool and roof deck (weather permitting of course). I even tried out the Carmenere bath - a ridiculously decadent experience where your bathtub is filled with local Chilean wine and oatmeal (for exfoliation) and Bulgari bath bubbles. Worth it. Loved it.

And you needn't look further than the hotel's lobby bar - an English hunting lodge that serves ceviche and delicious pisco sours. Was in town for work but looked forward to ending my evenings at this cool spot.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank Beaurex212
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Stayed for 4 nights recently for business and leisure. Hotel staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms were fabulous. I would recommed this hotel to anyone traveling to Santiago.

just a side note -- If you do not speak conversant Spanish and are not willing to engage in a confrontation, do not use city taxis. Use the hotel car service. It is more expensive, but well worth it. However, if you dont mind a little action, feel free to use a normal taxi (yellow roof)

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2009

We spend a lovely four nights at the Ritz-Carlton Santiago. The hotel was classic 5 star luxury as you would expect; the rooms were beautifully appointed, with high quality linens and Bvlgari toiletries. The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating. I would agree with previous reviewers that the hotel restaurant and bar were very expensive for what you get - however, there are great restaurants within walking distance, so it is not necessary to dine at the hotel if you do not want to. The hotel's location was great - in a beautiful quiet neighborhood great for walking around even at night. The spa and fitness center were meticulously clean and orderly at all times, making for a great way to relax after a day of touring the city and surrounding areas. Overall, this property is exactly as you would expect from the Ritz.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jdt253
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Super hotel - decor, rooms, linen, etc.all first class and what you would expect. The staff are friendly and helpful, but being friendly and helpful is not enough, when service is slow, and orders are mixed up. We stayed for 2 nights, and both evenings we ate in the restaurants and had lunch on our day of arrival out on the patio. For the hotel's sake I hope they address the service issue as there were problems on each visit with us and with other diners. On one occasion, the tables each side of us both had problems with their orders. We had to ask twice when we could expect to get our lunch. (40 mins). The table behind us with 2 ladies, were served just one dish and the waitress said they didn't have the other dish that the 2nd lady ordered - so just didn't serve her anything! (Not 1 star service let alone 5) The waiting staff are young , untrained and inexperienced. There was also a mix up regarding limousine service to the airport on our departure.
On the positive side though, we were upgraded to executive floor when we arrived and we would have to say that the service and food and beverages supplied in the executive lounge were excellent. Our bedroom was super too. I'd recommend this hotel, but not to dine at. Location is a little remote, but in an very nice area.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Thank SBF.Dublin
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I´d like to eco a previous reviewer who stayed at the Ritz Carlton for two nights and had a very poor experience. I´ve stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and despite its good location I´ll not stay there again.

As it was said before, at over USD400 per night (excluding breakfast), the hotel is much too expensive for what it is and not value for money. I have to say that the room is very confortable and quiet, but with no internet access in the room; beautiful decoration; breakfast, low ratio price/service.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business