“Truly a cut above”

The Ritz-Carlton, Santiago
Ranked #16 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 26, 2013

The Ritz in Santiago, Chile certainly made our stay special. However, I must preface the review by saying we were upgraded and had lounge access on the 10th floor. However, the overall importance of service shines through from the desk staff to the room cleaners. For the six nights visiting, we felt that any questions or requests were dealt with promptly. The hotel is very close to the El Golf stop on the metro or within walking distance of many shops and restaurants. Other than room cleaners, fluency in English is the norm. You may not find that in the general population of the tourist areas of the city so brush up on your Spanish. The concierge staff works very hard providing directions, making reservations for tours and communicating any specifics to improve your stay. We felt as if it was a home away.

Room Tip: Higher floor facing the metro stop.
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, Santiago

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Excellent place to stay. Rooms are clean and quiet. Washrooms are nice and clean. I really don't understand the negative reports here as I have not found a better hotel in Santiago so far. The breakfast is excellent. Service was very good, the concierge was of great help.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and I hope I will be able to come back soon!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We stayed here during a recent business trip. The service was excellent and the hotel was beautiful. The hotel is near restaurants and shops. The spa on the top floor is fantastic with a great view of the surrounding city. We will stay here again when in Santiago.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2013

i arrived on Oct 23 at 1:30 am . No one to help you out with luggage. No one offering to take you to your room. One person at the front desk. I was staying only for that night, but i was charged 3 times the value of one night to provide for "consumptions". I complained and then they cancelled the previous charge and did another one just for the night costs. Both charges came on-line as alerts from my credit card bank to my mobile as instant messages. Not the cancellation, so I guess my credit card will overcharged for some time.

I got to the room and wanted to call Reception, but the telephone wouldn't work. I tried other extensions, like 0, or Call Ceter, or Receptionist or Concierge. All of them did not work or had a noise as if they were busy. I tried the external line and called the hotel as if i was somewhere caling from outside the hotel. No one answered. I then tried calling from my mobile phone. No one answered. I decided to go in person to the Front Desk as i had a doubt with by account and i also wanted to order something to eat. I walked to the elevators, but they did not work. I pressed the call button but it did not light on. I tried the telephone on the desk facing the elevators and it didn't work either. I did not try the escalators as i was at the 12ve floor. I tried pressing the call buttons again, and after 3 minutes, they started to work and i was able to get to the lobby. What would have happened if all what hapenned to me had coincided with someone havih a heart attack or if a fire had started somewhere in the floor? I'd pobably be dead and who knows what would be the hotel's excuse.. certainly not that the hotel communication and transportation facilities were not working at all. I certainly did not ask for something to eat. Just wanted to go back to bed and not get exposed to any other anomaly.. I come every month and i have a Marriott Rewards Membership. I was not just a walk in customer. At the front desk i asked for late checkout as i eas only staying for the night but my floght was leaving in the afternoon. I was told the hotel was full and that they could ony give me up to 1 pm to leave. It was already 1:50 am when i was doin my checkin, so i rushed to bed and hoped to sleep well as erly in the morning i would have to check out given the lack of courtesy for a later checkout time.

4  Thank Juan P
Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Ritz-Carlton is located in the elegant and modern business section of Santiago and is conveniently situated for restaurants and shops. The rooms are excellent, comfortable, and well supplied with toileteries and the staff is welcoming and helpful in giving advice. The hotel has a fine top-floor spa facility and swimming pool, with an outdoor terrace that provides a superb view of the city and the surrounding mountains, which are snow-covered much of the year. The food is the dining room is substantial but not exceptional. However, the breakfast buffet is very good. Our one reservation is that the hotel lacks a proper coffee shop or café where guests might obtain a light lunch or dinner, but there are many good eateries in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper-floor room to enjoy the outstanding views of the surrounding mountains, particulaly...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past few years.

To the Ritz's credit they have made a significant upgrade to the lobby and restaurants. Arola is truly worth a visit for tapas and the Estro restaurant is a vast improvement on what they had before. The big terrace area and more modern look are a welcome change of pace. The traditional bar off the lobby has remained and I like it.

The rooms are a Ritz Carlton standard type room with a separate shower and tub setup in the marble bathroom. The rooms have the standard Ritz bedding, pillow top and duvets. The style is traditional with green and pink colors.

What I wish they had:
1.More water pressure in the shower.
2. A light blocking strip on the room door.
3. More English channels on the TV there are very few (Fox News would help)
4. A quieter A/C which is pretty noisy when running.
5. Free internet as it is too costly (though I get it free).

Notwithstanding the above this hotel is really a good choice in Santiago. Service is actually very good in a country where service is often misguided or slow. The staff speak English well and are eager to help. As a gold member I often receive upgrades which I welcome and see the front desk staff trying to be extra kind.

The location in a better part of town and agreeable walking area is another large plus as Santiago traffic is awful and having walkable restaurants/malls etc is useful.

Sadly, you will pay New York prices for the Ritz Carlton with $15-20 USD cocktails, $8USD beers, $35 breakfasts and a pretty high room rate. I do find the incidentals rather overpriced.

Given the nice bar, great restaurant option, good service and location I must recommend this hotel if you can accept the price.

Room Tip: Floor 14th gets spa/gym noise
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Truly a great place to stay in Santiago, especially when on business. The location is prime, the staff is attentive and the downstairs bar is everything you can ask for in an old-style classy setting. Wifi is a little expensive and not always easy to use (logged off on its own every now and then). Other than that, no complaints whatsoever.

1  Thank Zinoviev