“The Ritz, the Glitz”

The Ritz-Carlton, Santiago
Ranked #19 of 204 Hotels in Santiago
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Was in Santiago for business and it was my first time with The Ritz in Santiago. The service was fantastic, the room was clean and spacious and very comfortable. I was very happy with the hotel and it was a great experience. Check on and out was a breeze. Club lounge access was convenient and fantastic. Great experience overall and cannot wait to go again next year.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,486)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

they aim to please here and they do..Staff is always courteous kind and dedicated to the welfare of their guests ..The front desk, concierge and doorman gladly advise and help and always with a smile. Bed linens are luxurious and maid service exceptional..the gym, however is very small with limited choices of workout machinery. machines need a small shelf for thise who like to read while working out. Ordered roomservie (24 hours) which was very good..Bar well appointed and both comforting with a definite British colonial feel. Drinks very well made .

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 4, 2013

As usual, Ritz Carlton's pseudo-luxury delivers exactly what it promises, nothing more and nothing less. The hotel itself is unremarkable except for its location right in the heart of Las Condes with many restaurants and businesses within walking distance and easy access to the highway for trips to and from the airport. Decent lap pool and spa on the roof level for those who want a quick few laps or soak.

Room Tip: Views are OK, but limited as you are in the heart of a business district, so I would not fuss too mu...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Think it was bad judgment on my part to to choose this hotel after a backpacker trip in Chile since I had neither business nor evening attire in my rucksack. Hotel is a little stuffy and snooty, lacking in any real atmosphere. It tries to create old world ambiance but fails. 98% of the staff are wonderful, particularly David in the lobby and the beautiful hostess in the restaurant and bar who made everyone feel welcome. However, there are a few who think it is their job to pass judgement on who they deem suitable guests for the hotel. One such staff member was Jordana, a gentleman in a suit parading around the lobby. Have never come across anyone so rude or snooty and was dumbfounded by his rudeness when requesting his assistance at the concierge. He seems to think he's far more important than some of his guests. Was not dressed as smartly as some of the other guests (backpacking attire) and this is the first time I was made feel as if I didn't belong in a Marriott hotel. Travel frequently in the States for business and always receive a warm welcome at every JW Marriott and Marriott I've stayed in.

On the plus side, the rooftop pool and spa are fab and the beds extremely comfortable (but this is standard for all Marriott hotels). Checked out after the first night and stayed in the Marriott on avenida Kennedy and felt much more comfortable here - service, location and rooms were superb. Truly regret booking the Ritz Carlton as the behaviour of this member of staff was infuriating, it lacked class and humility, not something I've ever experienced in a Marriott.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 80schic2016
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I stayed at Ritz-Carlton for 6 Nights with a friand of me.
Before beginning my Travel, I ve allready begann to organice some services like the pick up from the airport.
After a very long flight from Paris to Santiago I arrived pretty tired at the baggage claim, passed the exit zone and there were allready a driver, holding the ritz-carlton book with my name on it.

He friendly asked me how my flight was, first impressions about chile and so on, then he took my lagguage and we went to the limousine, Mercedes Benz E-Class.

Arrived at the hotel I had a warm welcome, and I was able to change my clothes and fresh up in the spa at the top of the building.
My room wasnt ready yet (11:00) the employ of the reception told me it ll take like 1-2 hours until my room is ready.
So I sat down in the hotel lounge and drink something, at 12:00 I moved to the Bar to eat a delicious Club-Sandwich with a fresh salad. Price for this was like 11'000 pesos = 22 Dollars.
So very cheap for a 5*Hotel.
At 13:00 I went to the reception again to ask If I can go in my room now, unfortunately it wasnt ready yet. Of course I do know that the giets can stay in the room until 12:00 and it s written on the homepage that it can take 2-3 hours to make a room ready then for a new guest, but when the receptionist tell s me that my room ll be ready between 12 and 13 o clock, it should be true.

The lady told me i should go to visit a bit the region or sit in the lounge...
I went back to the lounge and sat down for another water and waited until 14:15.
Finally I was able to go to the room, located on the 14th floor. I can recommend the juniorsuite, it s big enough to have a comfortable stay. Everything was nice organized, cleaned and polished.
After 15 minutes I had a Call to go down in the restaurant for my meeting with Mister Vallejas, the supervisor of the Restaurant Estro. He showed me the kitchen and background etablishments of the hotel. Everything showed cleaned and good organiced.

The two Restaurants of the hotel are extraordinary. Estro is a Restaurant with plate service/a la carte. The gazpaccho was very good, the chilean crab was not enough strong to dominate the soup, so it was just something to chew, cause the taste of the soup was to strong, but excellent.
As Maindish I choosed the recommended shortribs, which were cooked for 12 hours. The meat was delicous, with a perfect jus, the puree on the side was perfect spiced. And last but not least I had a desert variaton of peanut ice-cream, chocolat ganache, caramel biscuits and coriander. Well done aswell.
Aswell the Amusebouche and the pre desert were in a good harmonie. (Salmon tatar with avocadopuree in a salty waffle cornet, ginger icecream with yellow curry)
The wine list is dominated by chilean wines, for everybody who s looking for european wine shouldnt eat here, but the chilean wines I tasted were very good, actually Im more into spanish and italian wines. i had a 2009 Malbec, to the meat dish excellent.
Maybe they can complet the digestifes card with yome other portwines, like a tawny 1990, cause the onliest port wine they had was a bit you, if im right, it was year 2008.

The Roomservice do a nice job aswell.

Breakfastbuffet was really big and some recommended dishes were able to choose a la carte.
Spa:
The sauna and steambath were very nice, for two person excellent, theres each one for women and man. The swimminpool had a nice temperature, all in all a nice atmosphere under the amazing roothtop.

At the end I have to say I enjoyed my holidays in the wonderful city specially in this nearly perfect hotel very much. All employes had a touch of old classic swiss hospitality in my opinion, it was perfect, and everybody was very friendly and helpfull.

Best regards S.Mastel

Room Tip: The juniorsuite is perfect located in the 14th floor with a nice view up the city
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank S_Mastel
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We can't recommend this hotel more highly. Rooms were great, breakfast and staff were exceptional and the location is good. We recommend that guests consider the upgrade to the club lounge. It's good value in terms of nibbles and internet and the dedicated concierge was fantastic (she really helped us out with organising flights and transfers when our airline changed our flights at the last minute). We've stayed at many hotels around the world, and the breakfast and service were both amongst the best we've had.

Room Tip: Book a club room to get a high floor with more of a view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

It's everything you would expect from a Ritz-Carlton - beautifully decorated throughout in a very classic English style, impeccable service, spotlessly clean, heavenly comfortable bed, etc., but feels more like a small boutique hotel because it's actually fairly small, with a particularly intimate lobby area for a Ritz-Carlton.

There's a very nice breakfast buffet with just about anything you might want, including an omelette bar that also dispenses pancakes and waffles upon request. (I liked the truly spectacular buffet at the W much better last year, but the Ritz-Carlton is more in keeping with my overall preferences, and this is plenty adequate.) The dining rooms are more contemporary/transitional in design than the rest of the hotel, but still well in keeping with the overall classic ambiance. There is also a lovely little gift shop, but beware the prices, because they are, unsurprisingly, among the highest you'll find in Santiago by far.

The location can't be beat, either. It is right in the heart of the chic El Golf neighborhood, which is the new financial heart of Santiago, across the street from a metro stop and right next to a major street where buses and cabs are plentiful if you choose not to use the hotel Mercedes car service. Dozens of restaurants of all types in all price ranges are within easy walking distance, and the local theatre is also right across the street, along with banks and some smart shopping, and some of the largest malls you'd ever want to find are also very close by. It is a very walkable area, and very safe, even at night, even for a woman walking alone.

Strangely enough, there was no ironing board or iron in the room, or coffee maker, both of which are standard equipment in even most three star and certainly all four and five star hotels anywhere in major urban areas these days, and this was rather inconvenient. They get points added back, however, for providing unlimited gratis bottled water upon request.

A lot of the lobby furniture is much lower grade than we'd expect in the US because of the widespread Chilean penchant for weirdly puffed up seat cushions that look totally distorted and are incredibly uncomfortable, but it is in keeping with what I've seen of a lot of Chilean design, and the overall look and ambiance are quite what one would expect.

Don't order a gin and tonic in the bar, though; the one I had was easily the absolute worst I've ever had, as well as the most expensive by far, and so I never tried another drink there.

I was very annoyed that the staff insisted on speaking English to me despite my always addressing them in Spanish, which I frankly found insulting because I speak it fairly fluently (although I need people to slow down when speaking to me in Chile), but I do recognize that this is considered good service to address a guest in her own language, so for most people, and on a general scale, this would be a plus. It really grated, though, and it continued despite my asking them not to do it, so I finally had to give up and give in. It was the one nit in the service overall, which made me very uncomfortable to call for anything despite the fact that every single employee was unfailingly polite, pleasant, welcoming, etc.

I mean, hello, is my Spanish really *that* bad that you feel the need to force me back into my own language? I have to admit that it gave me some perspective about how others might see it when I do the same with native Spanish speakers when I know my Spanish is better than their English, and I will now ask what their preference is so as not to risk offending them, and it's bad enough at lower grade places, but I definitely didn't like not having my own wishes respected in this regard at a top flight hotel when I was speaking their own language. I should have spoken to a manager about it, but didn't get around to it.

The spa is also lovely, with spectacular views of the city and surrounding Andes (although again, the views from the pool at the W are vastly superior), but this is where the place really falls down and loses points in my rating, in addition to the lack of the ironing board and coffee maker.

It is immaculately clean, and beautifully done with glass and marble mosaics, but an absolutely extraordinary number of the tiles are missing in both the jacuzzi and the floors of the women's dressing areas - entire sections in some cases, not just one or two, and with no attempt to replace any of them. This makes the whole thing rather unappealing, frankly. It very badly needs repair or complete redoing.

Neither the pool nor the jacuzzi nor the gym are wheelchair-accessible, either, and even lack handrails to get up the stairs to the pool area that is shown in all the photos. I'm not in a chair, thankfully, but this is difficult to navigate for anyone with any kind of mobility or balance issues, which I do have, and it was a definite problem that stopped me from returning after one visit.

This is unfortunately not at all uncommon in Chile despite laws mandating accessibility, but is rather surprising in a hotel of this caliber that is an international chain with many locations in places that have much stricter accessibility laws, and which is otherwise almost fully accessible.

That said, once I steered around the missing tiles and closed my eyes to them, the water was heavenly, the environment calming and relaxing.

I also had one of the best deep tissue massages ever from Caren, who totally saved my life; I can't recommend her more highly. And you can go there even if you stay in a different hotel.

Overall, the experience was delightful, and I can highly recommend this hotel, especially because we got an absolutely killer group rate. Fixing the tile problems, and adding ironing boards (which were at least available upon request) and coffeemakers would elevate it fully into five star territory for me.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business