“good hotel BUT slow checkout and bad restaurant”

San Cristobal Tower, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Santiago
Ranked #59 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed July 25, 2012

The hotel is nice, but I had two problems. One in the restaurant of the hotel. I had a business lunch and the service was very bad, with huge delay and bad quality of the foods. As explanation, they said the restaurant was full. The other problem was a critical one, and it is related to the check out. There was only one girl for the checkout at 5am. Believe or not I did take 30 minutes to make my checkout. I had an internationlat flight and almost lost it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
HowieBrown206, General Manager at San Cristobal Tower, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Santiago, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear MarcosBM;

I truly appreciate that your have taken part of your time to write a review about San Cristobal Tower.
I am sorry to hear that your experience was not outstanding as you expected. I already discussed your comments with the operational team in order to check and do full maintenance to those items you mentioned.

I would like to invite you to come back to this property, so you can give us a chance to demonstrate you the service and gastronomy we have been recognized for 40 years. Do not hesitate to contact me directly to my email: howie.brown@sheraton.com to handle your reservation personally.

Howie Brown

Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel has excellent amenities and is well located, especially if you are doing business near the so called Sanhattan Area, a few walkable blocks away. This is important given the chaotic Santiago traffic. The restaurant is one of the best in Santiago, worth a trip for non guests. Overall service is top notch. My main complaint is the bad heating throughout the hotel. While it is true that during my stay Santiago was undergoing a cold spell, it would seem that a needed overhaul of the heating in rooms, restaurants and in general throughout the hotel is required. Until that occurs, stay here in the lovely spring and summer months, perhaps not during winter.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the mountain. Glorious views
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2012

It is quite something to gaze out of the window, and see the towering snow clad Andean mountains in the distance. It is even more glorious to enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the 21st floor restaurant. The fruit and vegetables in Chile are truly wonderful.

This was my first trip to Chile, and I was bowled over by this wonderful country. The San Cristobal certainly added to the experience. I arrived after an exhausing 3 part journey from Europe, and was delighted to find, as I sat waiting to check in, that fresh coffee, croissants, fruit and orange juice were on hand to revive me. My room was outstanding - up on the fifteenth floor with a great view. The bathroom was sumptuous (and spotless), the bedroom huge, with a spacious sitting area, and speedy internet access.

The staff in the hotel were unfailingly helpful and polite. In contrast to one of the other reviews, I had lovely canapes when I went to the bar, as a prelude to dinner. I availed myself of the concierge who was extremely helpful in organising a sight-seeing tour and visit to a winery, in the small amount of liesure time I had. The ground floor restaurant (in the adjoining Sheraton) had very good food and service. The only thing not quite to my taste is the very late hours that people keep for dinner - I'm normally tucked-up in bed by 11pm, but not in Chile!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2012

As most of the reviewers here, I´ve got an upgrade when arriving to Sheraton. After being directed to the Tower lounge I had to wait like 10-15 minutes (Seated) in order to make a check-in, to be honest I was about to get up, head back to Sheraton and just ask for a regular room. Thankfully I didn´t.

The room is spacious, well decorated and cosy (unlike W in Santiago). The lights are just right and the giant LCD TV is a fine touch. This is one of the best hotel rooms I´ve been at (and I visited a few). Everything was spot on clean, the reduced number of rooms per floor adds to the sensation of "home like", this is the extreme opposite of Sheraton (in the same building) that feels like a typical airport hotel.

Unfortunately service is Starwood regular grade meaning: Understaffed (especially at check-in), lack of information on the phone (while people may call you by name they will suffer to comply the most simple requests).

Pros: Fantastic room, eveything feels just right, Good room service (pricey but worth it), Cozy and small

Cons: Starwood service lacks personality and "running the extra mile" - not on par with room

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I was booked on the club floor of the Sheraton, but got "upgraded" to San Cristobal Tower. But the experience was bad from A to Z ... It began badly with the check-in. I was told by the bell boy to line up for this, actually as second in line. However, as only one check-in staff attended to the customers, I was still in line after 10 minutes, when the bell boy offered me to take a seat as "it won't be long ... ". Indeed rather quickly, after about 3 more minutes, I was given a welcome drink, but check-in staff only turned to me about 20 minutes after arrival. Yes, by that time there were quite a few more customers in line - so I guess I should consider myself lucky.
The room I was given showed wear and tear, especially the heating/AC was creating a noise level equivalent to the one at the threshold of a runway. Later, I was presented a bottle of wine, a nice touch. The buttler delivering the bottle didn't ask if he should open it. When I was unsucessfully looking for a corkscrew, I called the service line and was told that they removed them because of theft. But she promised to send the buttler again, in order to open the bottle. He arrived 20 minutes later ... I was told that the lounge would be on 21st floor. There was indeed a bar, which served some complimentary drinks and nibbles - yes two pieces of ham, each the size of a finger nail plus some nuts ... So this was the club lounge experience ...
Really hungry after this dose of ham, I went for dinner in the Sheraton cafeteria. Unfortunately, the steak sandwich was only marginally larger than the two pieces of ham in the lounge ... But at least, the price was five star!

Room Tip: book another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank swiss_global_trip
HowieBrown206, General Manager at San Cristobal Tower, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Santiago, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear Swiss_global_trip:

Thank you for sharing your experirence at our hotel. As a valuable guest to Starwood and to our Hotel, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you had at San Cristobal Tower, which unfortunately impacted negataively your stay.
Being part of the hospitality industry, our main objective is to deliver satisfaction to all our guests. We regret very much that in this case we did not meet your expectations.
We appreciate your feedback and it has been shared with our Supervisors and team involved to take corrective actions and strengthen our quality controls as well as our training programs in order to improve our service. In case you consider to visit Santiago again it would be great for us to have the chance to host you and take care of all your requirements.

Howie Brown

Reviewed April 13, 2012

The San Cristobal Towers is a high end business hotel which sets itself apart in delivering consistently excellent and accomodating service. The rooms are wonderful and the restaurant is far above average for hotel restaurants. The only reservation would be the service in the 21st floor breakfast restaurant which was slow and indifferent - at times it was downright difficult to get a cup of coffee.
Will definitely return on future business trips to Santiago.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We checked in to the towers and the first time we ever got an upgrade! It was delightful. The towers is first class. The towers shares the grounds-pool etc. with the Sheraton. The pool area and outside kitchen, dining area was very nice. Also that where the smokers go! The inside bar was closed for renovations but they put on a lobby happy hour in the afternoon. It was quite limited because of people who spilled red wine on the carpets etc., so we all suffer for that. Overall it was a great expewrience.

Room Tip: upgrade to the towers the cost is worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family