“A Review (and an apology)”

Crowne Plaza Santiago
Ranked #43 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
Melbourne, Australia
“A Review (and an apology)”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We checked in to the Crown Plaza Santiago on New Years Day. As a platinum member, I was upgraded to a room on the executive floor.

The room was of a good size, was very clean and although a little 80's dated - was very well maintained.

Being the holiday period, the lounge was being renovated and was closed for the duration of our stay - as compensation, a bottle of wine + canapés were delivered to our room each day of our stay. We were happy enough with this alternative.

The hotel is in a perfect location for discovering Santiago with many sights within walking distance. The bohemian neighbourhood of Bella Vista is a small 10 minute walk away.

The hotel pool area is a perfect sun trap and a great spot to spend a summer afternoon. Breakfast was extensive and of a very high quality.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

And now the apology: Upon check out, a member of my party (we had several rooms) came to me and complained she had been overcharged from the booked rate so I went to reception to sort it. Unbeknown to me, the bill was in fact correct - the error was with my friend mistaking US dollars for Australian Dollars BUT I mistakenly took things at her word and went "all guns blazing" at the reception. As the situation got even more muddled with refunds of local taxes (where there was an actual small mistake on the bill) - I assumed these takes were the overcharge my friend spoke of and got even angrier and out of line.. It was not until 10 minutes into my ranting at the reception staff that I realised the currency error of my friend. By then I was too embarrassed about my tantrum to apologise to the staff member (and also to get outside to not slap my friend for assuming a charge in Chile would be made in Australian Dollars) . So I would like to apologise here. I was wrong - I was out of line - and apologise profusely. The professionalism and aplomb shown by the reception staff in this circumstance was indeed world class. I only hope to visit Santiago again so I can apologise in person.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for an Exec floor room.... They are on the high floors and have amazing views.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Alejandra S, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Santiago, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your valuable comment. We feel very satisfied when we are capable to exceed our guest’s expectations and provide a personalized and quality service.

It will be a big pleasure for our team to have you back with us in the near future.

We look forward to welcome you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
sarasota, FL
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza as part of a tour group to Chile and Argentina.
This was one of the better places we stayed.
The staff was wonderful from the front desk to the terrific people working in the bar area.
One young man in particular made my husband and I feel very special the first night in the hotel.
Our plane had been delayed and we arrived at the hotel later than expected. We had great Pisco Sours and appetizers in the bar as well as a fun evening.
The hotel breakfast was the best we had on our 2 week trip.
The rooms were well appointed and my only disappointment was the charges for wifi. I ended up using the computers in the lobby, which were free.
Great location to dining options etc.
I would recommend the Crowne Plaza to anyone staying in Santiago.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Alejandra S, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Santiago, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Guest;

We want to thank you for taking your time to write your feedback concerning our hotel.

We are thrilled to know that you really had a good time with us at Crowne Plaza Santiago.

Thank you for recommending our Hotel and in your next trip to Santiago, I hope you visit us again.

Sincerely.,
Brisbane
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We had three nights at this hotel, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We were offered an upgrade as an IHG preferred guest, but could not move as the suite was not suitable for me as a wheelchair user. The hotel still gave us, free wi-fi and club access, which was fantastic! I could not access the club as it was upstairs but they allowed us to be served downstairs - which was fine. The hotel is in a good location, and is walking distance to some great restaurants.
Breakfast was lovely, however it did take a substantial amount of time to get an omelette, in the end our waiter cooked ours! It was delicious though!

Room Tip: Room 404 is the disabled access room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience about Crowne Plaza Santiago.

We are delighted to know that you had a good time at our hotel, and you really liked our facilities, the location and our service.

It will be a pleasure to receive you again.

Sincerely;
perth
Reviewed February 19, 2014

This hotel is in a great location. Close to Centro and a host of fantastic eating options. However, whilst the staff were very nice, friendly and professional the hotel itself is on the tired side and in need of a makeover. Breakfast was hearty and plentiful. Massage great and good value. Rooms were clean, a good size but again in need of a makeover. With some considered refurbishment this hotel could be exceptional.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Alejandra S, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Santiago, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to give us your impressions about our hotel, we much appreciate it, the Guests’ comments are very valuable for us in order to keep and improve our service and facilities.

We are happy that you enjoyed our services and location.

It will be a pleasure to receive you again at our hotel.

Yours faithfully
Kingscliff, Australia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We spent 3 very lovely nights in the Crowne Plaza, it is very close to the metro on the red line. The staff were always very helpful when asked for directions, sites to view, and made telephone calls for us when our tour operator was less then helpful.
The breakfast has everything one could ask for. From sweets to eggs done in any style requested. Prices for in house massages was very reasonable, good sauna, ice machines on most floors, and location is very good also.
Rooms are spacious, all bathroom amenities, very clean and beds lovely and comfortable.
The only downside is no free wifi which I found strange since we stayed in cheaper hotels in Santiago which had free wifi. The Crowne Plaza does have a free to use Business Centre.
Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikecudgen
Alejandra S, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Santiago, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at Crowne Plaza Santiago.

We are pleased that you really enjoy our hotel and facilities and you felt comfortable.

Thanks again for staying with us and for recommending this hotel.

We hope to see you again soon.

Cordially.,

Eduardo Fahrenkrug
Regional Director of Operations &
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Big value for money! Good location (between and just a short walk from downtown as well as Bella Vista). Fantastic staff, friendly and helpful - it never failed during my 5 day's stay. I had a King Leisure Room on one of the top floors. Marvellous view and well furnished, nice bathroom. I was here in Februarey and enjoyed the pool terrace on 3rd floor as well. I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Go for top floors, i.e. not the cheapest category.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Alejandra S, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Santiago, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Guest:

We really appreciate your review about our Hotel Crowne Plaza Santiago, we are proud of our staff and service, and we will share your excellent comments with them.

We hope to welcome you again in a near future!

Sincerely.,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Just finished my stay at the Crowne Plaza Santiago. Excellent property, very good location and great view from my room on the 17th floor. Would have no hesitation in staying here on any future visit. Tour companies collect clients from the hotel and return them afterwards. The hotel also provides very reasonably priced car transportation to and from the airport.

Room Tip: Go for a view room facing the city and mountains
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Alejandra S, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Santiago, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear avwood,

Thank you for your lovely comments, we are pleased that you had a good experience in our hotel and you found Crowne Plaza Santiago Excellent!!

We look forward to welcome you again!

Kind regards,