“A comfortable boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel Loreto

Hotel Loreto
Ranked #17 of 204 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We were totally thrilled with the Hotel Loreto. Its location was perfect, in the heart of Bella Vista, an area inhabited by artists and restaurants, across the river from downtown. The hotel was quite modern, with lots of natural light that came through three floors and reached the main level with the clever use of skylights in the upper hallway and glass blocks on the hallway floors. There was wood and glass, plank floors and modern purple furniture. Its rooms were small, but clean and well appointed. Its open common areas were terrific, from a comfy couch area on the main level to seated table areas on our floor complete with computers and the best wifi we've ever experienced travelling. On the upper floor was a comfortable lounging area with lots of comfy couches and coffee tables, ottomans and a tv viewing area. But the best spot in the hotel was the rooftop patio, with comfortable couches & cushions, great views of the surrounding hillsides and the street life below, gorgeous evening sunshine and lots of little seating areas. We met up there for drinks each night and basked in the return of summer to our lives!

My only complaints were:

1) that the showers were very tiny,

2) that the street noise carries into your room at night when you are trying to sleep (but that's more than made up for by the unique area you are in when staying here) and

3) that the breakfasts were just average... a buffet style with yogurt, some fruit like orange sections and bananas or canned pears, small squares of white cheese and deli style ham (but not like north american ham... more like the cheap, processed, ham-like meat products you can buy in packages that are a bit jelly like with their fillers & additives), toast & a sweet dessert item like a cake, tea & nescafé coffee.

One more thing... don't believe what you read when you google coffee shops in the area. The ones nearby do not open until the afternoon. Morning coffee just does not happen here, culturally. The coffee shop across the street is only open at night!

Room Tip: Single beds can be linked together to form queens. We had a triple room that worked well for our fam...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank SheriHendsbee

Reviewed November 19, 2012

There are 4 of us travelling on motorcycles from the top of South America to the bottom mostly along the west coast. My friend found Hotel Loreto on the internet and it had a good rating so we tried it. With barely any Spanish we were able to find the hotel easily. Our concerns were hot showers, wifi, and especially parking for the motorcycles. This appeared to be a concern because we had to pull off from the traffic onto the sidewalk to enter the hotel. The staff graciously greeted our road worn appearance without prejudice. The staff spoke French and English well enough to answer all our queries. They quickly and efficiently checked us in, we dropped our gear into the lobby and were promptly directed to a secured parking area one block away. Rooms were clean with plenty of room for our all our gear. Showers were hot, a cute little balcony off the room with a sitting area for fresh air, a desk and flat screen tv made the rooms above the basic standard in other places we've stayed. We asked reception for help in locating shops and restaurants and that's when it became apparent that the hotel was in walking location of all our daily needs. The neighbourhood was safe with interesting art work, (probably from students in the nearby university). The choice of restaurants and bars was phenominal and about four blocks from the hotel. We got our dirty biker laundry done and decided to buy a few bottles of spirit to celebrate another safe arrival by motorcycle. The hotel let us put white wine in the cafe fridge to chill. We went up to the rooftop sitting area, took pictures of the surrounding vistas and sat in the sun. Staff brought us glasses and ice for the booze we bought and we drank and talked of our good fortune. Later I used the computers on the third floor common area to catch up on communications back home. The following morning we enjoyed the included complete breakfast. Afterward we walked into the city center to look at the shops and have a snack in the main square. The only down side to the hotel was that the road was calling us and we had to leave to continue our motorcycle adventure. We spoke with the owner on our last morning as he took an interest in our travels, as did other staff members. He explained how he hasn't had a vacation in years because he has spent his time overseeing renovations on the hotel. Well, good job Andres because the place looks great! He's taken pictures of the renovation, before during and after. All in all it's right up there for great hotel experiences on the west coast of South America. The other travellers that we spoke with while sipping drinks on the rooftop seemed to be of similar opinion. Check it out for yourself!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located in BellaVista and is within walking distance to everything. The staff are friendly. The laundry was cheap. We got upgraded to a slightly bigger room for free. Would definitely stay there if I went back to Santiago.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Ral3
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed just one night, but they permitted us to hang out there all the next day as our flight did not depart until 0200.

The room was fairly basic, with two twin beds, but it was very nice with nice beds and a good bathroom (TV also). The common areas are very nice - the place seemed brand-new. They have two lounge areas, plus a roof-top deck. There are comfy couches, laptops with WiFi, etc.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was also very good - basic Chilean bfast of eggs, bread, ham, cheese, yogurt, etc.

The location was very good - right in Bellavista, whcih turned out to be our favorite area of Santiago. The hotel is about four blocks walk from Patio Bellavista - a cool area loaded with great restaurants, shops, clubs and jazz bars.

Would def rec this place!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank blauzen
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I lived in Santiago for a month, and had my girlfriend visit during my last week, so I could search and visit many hotels in Santiago. Loreto was the BEST one I could find, with great location (near all sightseeing spots, pubs and restaurants, metro), great rooms with a huge bed, very comfy and clean, cozy ambience with heating and a balcony, bathroom was always incredibly clean and there was also a very good breakfast with breads, fruits, yogurts, eggs, tea, coffee, juices, and a lot more! I was very happy with my last days in Chile in this hotel, and I was sure I had the best deal in the city! The people that work there were all very welcoming and nice, I even got the chance to meet the owner that helped me getting medicines when we got sick, and that made sure I had everything I needed to get better. I wouldnt stay anywhere else in Santiago!

Morei em Santiago por 1 mês e tive a oportunidade de procurar pelo melhor hotel lá para passar meus ultimos 5 dias com minha namorada. O hotel Loreto com certeza foi a melhor escolha de TODOS, pela localizaçao, quarto, atendimento, limpeza e preço!
Os quartos são ótimos com uma cama gigante, aquecimento, um ambiente aconchegante e com uma varanda gostosa! Os banheiros estavam sempre limpos e arrumados e o café da manhã tinha de tudo, ovos, paes, yogurt, frutas, frios, café, chá, sucos e muito mais! Eu fiquei muito feliz com a escolha, e tenho certeza que foi a melhor possível rm Stgo. As pessoas que trabalham lá são muito educadas e prestativas, nos receberam super bem. Conhecí até o dono do hotel que ainda me ajudou a comprar remédios pois ficamos um pouco doentes lá, e ainda fez de tudo pra gente pra garantir que estavamos bem! Eu não ficaria em outro lugar em Santiago por nada!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Rodmesquita
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I am usually pretty forgiving about most things when it comes to hotels...but not about trust.

So, when we checked into our room and found that there was no soap or toilet paper in the bathroom, I didn't think anything about it. Nor would I generally complain about the cramped room (we had a triple, which looked like they actually just squeezed an extra bed into a regular double room leaving no space to maneuver), a breakfast where they "cheaped out" with crappy prepackaged food (not to mention inedibly salty eggs), the flimsy room door hardware (the lock felt very cheap, like it was one vice-grip turn away from being easily forced), lack of attention to detail in overall construction (on the first floor, why is the shutoff valve for the fire pull station sticking out into the hallway?!), and so on.

All this, I would sweep under the carpet, if not for our experience on check-out day (of a one-night stay!). We had a late-morning flight, so we decided to go for a stroll down by the metro station before our airport ride was to arrive. We dropped off our keys at the front desk and said that we'd be back in an hour.

When we came back to our room, we found that the window blinds had been opened, and the doors to the walk-out patio were both standing wide open! I am overly cautious about keeping things shut down in hotels, especially on days like that when I had all of my valuables packed and waiting for my flight, so I know for a fact that I checked that the doors were shut and locked before I left. The patio would, with a little creativity, also be accessible from the ground level, so I was not happy.

I went down and confronted the front desk about the situation; they had no idea but said that they would check on it. A few minutes later, the presumed manager came back and said that the previous guests had reported a "problem" with the doors, and that their maintenance guy had apparently gone to "check on it" in the 45 minutes that we were gone.

This is wrong on so many levels that I do not even know where to begin: if there was a problem, why didn't they investigate before we checked in? What sort of problems could the doors have had, anyway? And how would opening them help? Why would *anyone* enter our room on the morning of our checkout? And why, above all, would they enter our room and LEAVE everything wide open? It feels like someone failed Hotel 101.

The "checking on the problem reported by the previous guests" was such an obviously BS excuse that it blows my mind. All I got from the hotel was a suggestion to check our bags to make sure that nothing was missing. Luckily, we seemed to have been spared any losses, but I would have still expected a heartfelt apology and an acknowledgement of how badly they screwed up. We may have gotten lucky that the daft employee didn't take any of our stuff, but given that he/she needlessly put all of our belongings at risk (and that the manager tried to cover up with a bogus excuse), I feel comfortable advising everyone to AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE.

Santiago is a great city and there are plenty of other places you can stay without having to worry about this kind of junk. (For example, we were at Plaza El Bosque Park on our previous stay, and we have only good things to say about our experience there.)

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank MrBizTraveler
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you're looking for a place where you can have comfortable and clean rooms, nice and professional staff, besides good price, this is the hotel! Mr. Andres Oyarzun, the Owner, welcomes every guest and we can see he's really pleased to help us whenever necessary. It has a computer room with Free WIFI, The breakfast is delicious, I must come back every time I'm in Santiago!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business