“Great Place to Start Chilean Journey” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blend Hostel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santiago
Blend Hostel
Ranked #212 of 469 Specialty Lodging in Santiago
Tempe, Arizona
“Great Place to Start Chilean Journey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed with Rudy at Blend Hostel one night 10/18/2012 upon entering Chile and one night 11/09/2012 upon exiting Chile. Rudy is a fantastic host with extensive knowledge of Santiago, Chile and the world. He is very attentive and can direct you to great places. His hostel is perfectly located near Cumming Metro for easy access to discover all of Santiago. You can also walk easily into the bustling City Centre. Rooms are comfortable and meet a traveler's needs.

Room Tip: Ask for room with Balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed four nights at the Blend Hostel in the Barrio Brazil (Brazil Neighborhood) very near the Cumming metro station (Line 5). It was very easy to find the hostel, thanks to the owner’s (Rudy) perfect directions. Blend Hostel is located in a large white house that must have been quite elegant in its heyday. Today it is in dire need of renovation, but I’m sure that would be quite expensive. I was privileged to be the only guest that this small hostel, with rooms for about ten people.

My room was Spartan, but adequate for my humble needs: a double bed, a small closet with two drawers, and a night table with a lamp, and two small framed photographs hanging on walls. Rudy said that the mattress on my bed was new, and I can testify that is was cozy and that I slept very well in it. My room was “average:” neither spic n’ span nor filthy. I “shared” the bathroom, although there were no other guests to use it.

Downstairs was a cozy lounge with a flat screen TV, and two nice sofas, a large coffee table with art books (Rudy is a great art lover), and attractive décor.

Rudy invites his guests to make use of his extensive English-language library (he is Chilean-British), and he has many Lonely Planet guidebooks in English, if you are so inclined.

There is a kitchen equipped with a stove, microwave oven, as well as cooking and eating utensils. The kitchen was in need of renovation.

WiFi was free and worked very well during my entire stay. I greatly appreciated that perk.

Breakfast was included in the room price. It consisted of fresh bread, butter, jam, fruit (banana and apple slices) and scrambled eggs, in addition to make-your-own coffee or tea. Rudy prepared the meal and even wash my dishes!

Rudy spent quite a lot of time with me, suggesting many places to visit in Santiago. He also provided me with a map, an extra duvet for my bed (it can be quite chilly at night in the city), and some hangers for my closet. He was a very attentive host! He tries very hard to make his guests feel at home.

The two things that I really loved about this hostel was Rudy’s hospitality and the fact that I could write in bed (I’m a professional writer) while leaving my terrace door open to let in fresh air. Yes, I had a great stay at Blend Hostel!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Cyclopath43
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in September on our way through Santiago. When we arrived the Host was very welcoming made us feel quite at home. He is British Chilean and very relaxed and friendly. The hostel is a house in the Barro Brasil area. There is limited rooms so only a small number of people to share the bathroom with. We happened to be there during the Chilean holiday week and were the only people there.

The room was a good size, the bed are new and very comfortable, no saggy and lumpy mattresses here! The bathroom has good hot water and shower pressure. Towels given. The breakfast is great, fruit, toast and eggs with tea or coffee.

The hostel is in a good location, right near Cummings Metro station on the green line, so you can catch it into the centre of town or if you want to go to Bellavista, however it's just as easy to walk to the Plaza if you don't mind walking. A few blocks in a perpendicular direction is the red line metro which joins with the bus station. There is a lot of eating out options close by, we didn't really use the kitchen at the hostel as breakfast was included.

Our host gave us great info on things around Santiago, where to go, and how to get there and even some advice about our next location. It was nice to get some information. We went to a celebration in the park (for Independence Day) where all the locals go. It was great we never would have found it otherwise. We had a great day trying local foods and drinks as well as watching the parades and families celebrate. It felt like half of Santiago was there. When we came back they had a BBQ at the house and they invited us to join them. A small party of 6 but it was great as it we felt really included in the celebration. We ended up dancing at one point! I just wish I could have spoken Spanish better!

Overall a great place. The host is well traveled, he spent 10 years traveling in the 70's doing some amazing things! It is a relaxed place, don't expect hotel service, this is a hostel! The place is on a quiet street and truly is well located. We stayed in a apartment on our return to Santiago before flying home and it was 5 blocks from a metro station, which actually made it quite frustrating to travel in a hurry. We don't mind walking but sometimes you want an easy option (say when the weather's bad).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
galway
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night. Located in a house, very close quarters with the host who jumps on you as soon as you arrive in the door from a walk and berates you for not having stayed out walking for longer! The room was ok, but no headborads on the beds and this made it uncomfortable to sit up and read. Duvets were feather and bits of feather poke through and spike you! Bathroom ok. Breakfast very good. Area is ok, fairly quiet.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deirdre O
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our stay at the Blend Hostel was absolutely fantastic and we couldn't have been happier. The Blend is in a lovely quiet area with plenty of easy access to town and local bars and restaurants. The room was very comfortable and the general atmosphere of the hostel (more of a bed and breakfast really) was very pleasant and relaxed. Breakfast was exceptional. It was the owner Rudy who truly made a stay a visit we will never forget - he couldn't have been more helpful and caring and clearly genuinely enjoys having people to stay. We have honestly never felt so welcomed or relaxed anywhere else we have stayed in the world. Without doubt this is the place to stay in Santiago, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Good location close to the metro and easy walking distance to the plaza, Rudy the owner was really friendly and gave us so much advice on places to visit and things to do. Bedroom was large and the bed was really comfy, there was always a heater outside the room too in case it got cold. There was hot water for showers, a large kitchen for cooking with lots of equipment and breakfast was big with fresh bread, fruit, and eggs. A great place to stay if you are visiting Santiago.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here nearly a week and it felt like a home from the start. There are not very many rooms so you get to know everyone well. Rudy, the owner is a fantastic host and cab recommend a lot of unusual things to do as well as knowing about all the usual stuff. Rooms can be a little cold but downstairs in the living room is always heated, the blankets are plentiful and the showers are the best we had in south America. Great location, within walking distance of a lot and right next to a metro station. Kitchen well equipped and supermarket 3 minutes away.

• Stayed June 2012