“Great dinner in Santiago”
Review of El Meson Nerudiano

El Meson Nerudiano
Ranked #88 of 5,042 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: Chilean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We arrived just after opening but were not alone and the crowd quickly picked up. All items ordered were excellent and wine selection was perfect. Waiter was very helpful and offered good suggestions. Very good value and an excellent meal on the outside patio.

1  Thank Tom B

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stumbled upon this place a few blocks from Pablo Neruda's house, La Chascona. We were rewarded with an excellent lunch in a romantic courtyard. The interior bar and dining area is also warm and inviting; great atmosphere.
On our visit, the patrons appeared to be overwhelmingly local and Spanish-speaking. The polite and efficient staff speaks little English, so a guidebook of restaurant phrases and food terms might be useful if your knowledge of Spanish is limited or there is not someone in your party who speaks it.
We all went for the prix fixe menu which included drink, starter, main course and dessert. There is a good wine list as well. Having been disappointed in the mediocrity of the food we had encountered around the city during a week's stay (some from highly rated restaurants on this site), we were all pleasantly surprised and delighted with our experience here.

3  Thank DPLowcountry
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I literally went straight to this restaurant after arriving in Santiago from Rio de Janeiro. I had read the reviews on tripadvisor and had asked my hotel (The Aubery) to book a table as my colleague and I were arriving late. Every thing here is in Spanish and the waiters speak little English so communicating and choosing from the menu was interesting. As was the table we were offered - in the depth of the building close to the stage and in the dark. I had to read the menu using the light from my mobile phone. Having made a choice, the meal I received was not what I chose but in the dark I could hardly see what I was eating. Did I care? no, what I did receive was really good (couldn't tell you what it was) the wine was excellent and when the band arrived and started playing the atmosphere was fantastic was I bothered? not a bit I was having a great time. The average age of the band was around 80 but they rocked. They were obviously enjoying themselves and so was everyone else. My colleague and I enjoyed a perfect evening. The best of our trip!

1  Thank Lyn G
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We ate here twice. Really great quality simple meals (nothing laid out on plates with smears of fancy pastes). The menu is in Spanish, but the staff is helpful and most of the dishes can be figured out on your own if you have a very basic Spanish vocabulary. There's a beautiful courtyard.

Shared an appetizer and dessert and had two mains, two alcoholic drinks, and two bottles of water for about 50.000 Chilean Pesos (roughly $90, I think). Not cheap, but not outrageous, either.

1  Thank KittycatParty
Reviewed March 19, 2014

good food, not expensive at all. get a table in the garden, its very romantic.
there is a menu which is a very good deal (drink, starter, main dish and dessert for 13000).