“Vietnamese-inspired but not the real deal”
Review of Vietnam Discovery

Vietnam Discovery
Ranked #145 of 4,745 Restaurants in Santiago
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2012

Having lived in Vietnam for 2 years, admittedly I didn't have great expectations for this restaurant, despite hearing a lot of good things about it. There are hardly any south-east Asian restaurants in Santiago though so it's worth checking out any options.

Ideally I would rate this restaurant between average and very good. For Santiago, it's very good. But for Asian cuisine, it's average. I am just a bit fussy about Asian food because I've eaten so many really great meals elsewhere (but not in Santiago).

I read their menu on the website and was keen to try the duck dishes. Duck is almost impossible to find outside of restaurants in this town so I am always keen to have it when I can.

Unfortunately the restaurant doesn't have a phone number so you have to book via email but they did confirm our booking quickly. However, when we were running late that evening, there was no way to inform the restaurant. Luckily, it was still early when we arrived and it wasn't yet full (8pm on a Thursday).

The shopfront leading off from the street is basic but the real restaurant is in a covered courtyard out the back. The decor is very pretty - candles, fresh flowers, bamboo and Buddha statues (though Vietnamese are not typically practicing Buddhists - so I assume the decor was more in line with perceptions of Vietnam).

The waiter was very friendly and we were promptly brought freshly made juices with lots of crushed ice (rather like slushies) but they were very good. My husband also ordered a pisco sour but he said it tasted like dishwashing detergent!

We ordered the spring rolls, coconut chicken and duck, only to be told they didn't have any of their 4 duck dishes. This was very disappointing. The menu isn't very big and finally we chose 'Pad Vietnam' with prawns.

The food itself was tasty but certainly not authentic Vietnamese. I assume it is an interpretation on south-east Asian food. Which is fine in Santiago as the ONLY Vietnamese restaurant (and one of three south-east Asian restaurants that I know of) but we weren't that impressed.

There are newer reviews for Vietnam Discovery

Reviewed June 4, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us by various friends. Finally we went and we will return for sure :)

Service was a hit. Very attentive and friendly. It is also one of the Restaurants that are open all day. We like to go for late lunches on Sunday so we called at 4 to ask if they are open and they told us that they are open all day without interruption.

Food was also very much to our taste. This Restaurant is highly recommended.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I had heard a lot about this place and was excited to visit for the first time a few days ago. What a disappointment! We ordered pho (beef noodle soup) and ga gung (caramelized ginger chicken) and weren't at all impressed by either. The pho was served without any fresh herbs, hoisin or sriracha and I had to ask twice to get some. There were also huge chunks of beef fat floating around in the soup that I had to fish out before eating, which was pretty unappetizing. The broth was exceptionally bland and uninspired, as was the ga gung with it's overly sweet, sticky and sickeningly salty sauce. Definitely won't be going back- I can make better vietnamese food at home. With my eyes closed.

1  Thank Joey G
Reviewed March 31, 2012

When we arrived at Loreto street 324 and saw the restaurent from outside our first reaction was to check the address again, but once you are inside you can tell that you are at the right place. The styling of the place is hip, but not exaggerated and the atmosphere and the music are really great. The waiters were very friendly, even though we felt sometimes a little rushed.
The food is not bad, but compared to other Vietnamese restaurants you can find e.g. in France, it was a little disappointing. We had Nems and a Vietnamese soup as a started and duck and a "congrio" as a main dish. The soup was nice, but the typical exotic flavour was missing as if they didn't dare to season it as should be out of respect to Chilean palate which doesn't like it too spicy. The Nems, especially the pork, were nice, but as the duck clearly prepared in advance and only heated up before serving them. The congrio was really good, though and the dessert, the Mango Wantan, were good, too.
Alltogether, it could easily much better without much effort! But it is still great to find some Vietnamese flavor in Santiago.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

a friend told me about this place.... and she was rigth!
we went without booking and we were lucky to get a place.
drinkings were fab, food was so great and the dessert (chocolate) was awesome!!!!

very good place to enjoy with your boyfriend or friends!!!!

5 stars!!!