“it could have been better” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
Aquitania and Cousino Macul Vineyards From Santiago
Ranked #29 of 500 things to do in Santiago
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1856, Cousino Macul is the only winery in Chile amongst those established in the 19th century that continues in the hands of the original founding family. The company remains 100% under family control, producing limited quantities of fine wines. The mission of Cousino Macul is to produce world-class wines that are unmistakably Chilean, carrying the distinctive character of the Maipo Valley.
Berlin, Germany
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“it could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

We went to Cousino Macul in january to visit the Winery that is very near to the centre of Santiago, I guess it is possible to go with public transportation. The guide told us that it is one of the few wineries that are still with the family of the founder. In my opinion the tour could have been way better, it was very short and they didn't explained a lot about the types of wine and its procedures. In our trip to Santiago, we only had time to visit Cousino Macul and Concha y Toro. And comparing both of the tours I liked Concha y Toro better.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank Camile87

Calgary, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great winery to visit. Highly reccomend.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

On my trip to Santiago I was reviewing the various options for winery tours. Generally, unless you wanted to rent a car, the tours involved van transportation to and from the winery and ran in the range of 50,000 CLP and up. Then I saw a not in Lonely Planet about this winery and thought I'd check it out.

The winery is a nice 20 minute walk from the Quilin metro station, making it very easy to get to. Then the tour itself only costs 6,000 CLP and you get to keep a souvenir wine glass. The tour is offered in both english and spanish by very knowledgeable guides. I've been on many brewery and winery tours where the guides are actors hired to put on a show and do not know a whole lot about the process or the product. My guide at the Cousino Macul winery, on the other hand, was a certified somellier who knew all the ins and outs of the production process. It was a fantastic tour around a beautiful facility.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank Ian M
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

It was a very agreeable morning. First we walked thru the vineyards then we got acquainted with the fermentation process and last with the storage. Wine was good and Diego (our tour guide) was also nice.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Cintia88
San Diego
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“quaint and knowledgeable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2011

The tour (english or spanish) was very detailed and the wine was great. One of the smaller vineyards, it had a good ambience. I think it cost about 6.000clp.

Visited June 2011