“Okay for your Santiago stay; depends on what you are looking for”

Santiago Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #29 of 537 Specialty Lodging in Santiago
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in one of the double rooms. The room was clean but the bathrooms (to be exact the men's toilets) where not always inviting (which is not necessarily to blame on the Hostal but on other guest as after the daily cleaning they were quite okay...)
Anyway, the biggest plus is that the location of the Hostal is really great. You can actually walk nearly everywhere.
Also everyone working at the Hostal was quite nice and helpful. However, depending on who we asked we sometimes got different answers (e. g. regarding the possibility to do our laundry).
In the end our stay was quite okay but the real recommondation goes out for younger travelers who like to meet fellow backpackers and like going out at night enjoying the thrilling Santiago nightlife.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed there 3 nights in the double room during our visit of Santiago.
Good points:
- very well located
- the building and rooms are impressive, old and cosy style !
- free wifi and breakfast
- we tried the free dinner on tuesday nights, it was slow to come but a good value (fries and sausages)
- room was clean
Bad points:
- the bathroom was not really clean (empty the toilet paper bin more often !)
- hot shower didn't work one morning
- the fact that you have to ring to enter the hotel is good for security but really bad for sleep ! We were woke up one night at 3am by the ring noise.
- breakfast is basic

Overall, this is a good place for 2-3 nights, no more.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Arifurman, Owner at Santiago Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Hi lemouss, thanks for your feedback and positive comments!
Regarding the negative aspects of your stay, I would like to clarify that all of them have been brought to my attention and currently are solved:
- hot water is available 24/7, at a very high level for hostel standards
- the door bell at night should have been at a minimum level; this was reenforced to our night staff
- we have incorporated more cleaning staff so we can increase the satisfaction of our guests regarding cleanliness, which we consider the most important aspect that a guests looks for.

Thanks again!

Ari

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here for 6 nights, and had some good points and bad points

Good

Staff are very helpful, booking taxis, enquiries about the city etc, and are fluent English speakers, which was key for us not speaking any Spanish.

Free breakfast every day was a nice bonus.

Free internet which is very high speed.

Location can't be beat, being a few blocks from the centre of the shopping area and the main attractions.

Bad

Very noisy which makes it hard to sleep.we were in a double room off the upstairs central area, which has sofas in it. On our first night, people were playing games on their phones and talking till 5am which the staff did nothing about. This regularly happened til 2-3am, and due to the design of the building even the downstairs conversations are easily heard.

Balcony door didnt lock. This was a shared balcony with the larger dorm next door, and while the guys in there may have been ok, they could have be anyone. I felt uncomfortable leaving my room unlocked all day and all night. Staff tried to find the key to no avail.

Bathrooms cleaned mid morning everyday, and the bins for toilet paper were tiny and uncovered (upstairs at least). This results in overflow every night of dirty toilet paper on the cubicle floors, which is filthy.

In summation the hostel was reasonable, but I don't think I could go there again for fear of lack of sleep (I appreciate that I didn't complain to reception about this, but it is really something they should be proactive about, as they can hear it from downstairs)

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Greg R
Arifurman, Owner at Santiago Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Hi Greg, thanks a lot for your review. Certainly the negative comments you mention aren't the standard. I (the owner) personally took care of each point and solved them. Unfortunately not for your stay, but for the stay of our next guests.
Thanks also for the good comments.

Ari

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Highly recommended! Amazing beds, hot showers, everything clean, awesome environment, very good location (close to subway, Mercado Central, walking tours and nice clubs!) and awesome staff (they always plan cool stuff to do, like nights out and dine's for the hostel people). Best place to be in Santiago!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed five days in this hostel and felt very welcome there. Everything was working well, the staff is friendly and helpful and the hostel is well situated close to Plaza de Armas. Santiago Backpackers it's simply a good place to stay...! :-)

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Enyle
Reviewed April 13, 2013

If you are going to Santiago I highly recomend staying here. I started my 5 month trip in south america here, and returned here again for another week in santiago before I left. The staff are amazing especially the kitchen staff and cleaner Lita, always preparing a beautiful breakfast and has great energy, full of bubles, always had me smiling, also catalina and mi, on reception were always helpful with anything we needed, you will even see the owner Ari around everyday who is always very friendly. The rooms are large and clean and the beds are cosey. Its in a great location and plus there is a free dinner every tues night and always activities every night of the week. In my five months travel this is one of the best hostels i stayed in.!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Unfortunately I haven´t been very satisfied with this hostal.... Previous to my stay I have done an online reservation via their homepage (prices in USD). After having paid the first night in chilean pesos I realized (too late) that it is more than it would have been if I had paid in USD. It was quite difficult to change this yet paid night and pay my whole stay in USD which costs me a few USD less. What made me so unhappy was that there was no sympathy coming from the owner and it seemed the hardly anyone noticed this difference in paying (not even the lady at the reception has known it before!). So be aware of your means of payment!
breakfast was included, but not really recommendable. fruit was just green apple, once we were happy to find oranges, BUT...... already moulded!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Arifurman, Owner at Santiago Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thanks for your review. The owner wasn't who dealt with this situation. That being said, what happened is that there are prices published in dollars and in chilean pesos, for obvious reasons. We do have a normal (not abusive) exchange rate that doesn't change every day. For this reason, this guests had a difference from the official exchange rate that was LESS than a dollar per guest per night. Since they asked to pay in pesos the first night, they wanted a refund and to pay in dollars for the whole stay, which takes 5 working days. They didn't have that time, and so were dissapointed at us. Booking sites sometimes offer automatic currency translation and that is made at different exchange rates than the accommodation has, which can lead to this misunderstandings.