Gen Rooms
Ranked #94 of 202 Hotels in Santiago
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Rooms and hotel looked very nice from the pictures but the rooms and especially the services did not meet the expectation (and the price we were charged!).
Rooms were big enough but toilets were very old and uncomfortable, moreover they forgot to clean one up of them the first day we arrived (it was a mess). The staff was very nice but not able to meet any request. Orders needed to be taken twice or even three times. They were keeping the few available lifts (3 lifts for ca. 20/30 floors...) busy all the time for them. Once I even found one of the lift filled with garbage!
In the end, I have to say it was a very bad experience. I was there for business but I would not considre going back to gen because of both prices and quality of service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We chose this hotel for the location alone. We wanted to be able to walk to the main town attractions and for this purpose the Gen was ideal. We found the staff (especially Jesus)to be very helpful. The room was strange, it had a kitchenette in it but no appliances, not even tea making facilities, The room was ok, bathroom small. It has a lovely roof top pool area with a great view. We were two women in their 60's and did not feel uncomfortable walking around at night, like anywhere you need to be careful. Portugal St runs up to the main St Barnardo O'Higgins. If you go directly across this you will be in Jose Victorino Lasterria St which is full of lovely coffee shops and restaurants. This is only a 5 minute walk from the Gen and feels like a completely different neighbourhood. Don't miss going to St Lucia hill, a small haven in a busy unloved city

Room Tip: higher up the better from busy street noise. Some face San Christobel Hill
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We researched somewhere to stay in Santiago and decided on the Gen for location and the overall feel of the hotel. BIG mistake. The location was horrendous. We, and other people who had fallen for the same misrepresentation of this hotel, were too afraid to walk the area in the evening as daytime was, essentially, skid row. As soon as we got out of the taxi, it was obvious this was a 'backpacker hotel' and true-to-form, the room were like student dorms. Fine for 20-somethings but not for seasoned travelers expecting the promised 4* experience. We arrived just after noon and were told our room would not be available for at least 3 hours. This translated to 4 hours. While they DID allow us to leave our luggage in a room, we were ill-equipped (and over dressed) to explore the 83F city. On the positive side, there was one wonderful man at the reception desk who couldn't have been kinder and more empathetic. Alas, he wasn't available on our arrival or departure date - we were there for 3 days before departing Chile. Also, the little pool at the top of the hotel was a huge draw ... with EVERYone.
If this had been advertised as a 2*, student-type hotel, I'd have been fine with it. Alas, it was completely misrepresented as a 4* hotel and with charges to merit such, it's a total falsification.
My comment ... buyer, beware! This is NOT what it's purported to be.
Shel

Room Tip: I have no idea... we booked the "superior room". Enough said.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank melpomene29
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel and got really frustrated by the bad service provided. First is the long waiting for check-in, then the rooms not properly cleanned and another waiting time to have another room that was also not properly cleanned... Then, I askedfor urgent laundry service and was told me that they didn't have when in fact they had... People at restaurant aren't organized and always making lots of noise. The internet doenst work well and the lifts are always busy... Sometimes I had to wait for about 5 minutes to get one...

However, going to the top floors we can find a great view to all Santiago. I got an exelent massage at the Spa with a reasonable price.the rooms are also nice: big, modern and very comfortable.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I chose the hotel because of the location, and that was not a mistake. I could walk to the city center while seeing several nice parks, buildings and musea. To come back you may prefer a taxi drive if your legs are not trained...
The hotel is clean but in some places it looks already a bit worn. Reception and adjacent bar / lobby are small with on 1 side a narrow desk with 2 or 3 computer screens to consult internet. A sofa for 2 is placed just beside the reception desk to watch a TV. Not at all a tranquil place to sit,
My room was small and lacked attractive fitting-out. The minibar was empty. In the bathroom with toilet, the shower was larger compared to all the rest.
You get all the basics, but you don't feel lots of hospitality. The breakfast spaces were different rooms -most of them gave a basement feeling without any outside light- with a buffet unefficient set-up in one space facing a window and the street. The food was basic and the variety was limited. You had to ask for coffee or tea at the bar in the same space... laid-out for a messy service. Aparently there was a wine bar and restaurant on another floor or in the basement, yet I didn't explore them.
I can't write that staff was unpolite or not ready to help, my impression is the overall floor arrangment is totally unfunctional and appears totally not inviting. The long narrow pool roof top terrace and fitness room just some stairs down from there offer a magnificent panorama although here too, no attractive arrangments of furniture or so.
As this was a one night transit hotel for me, I didn't feel too much troubled yet I would not stay for several nights unless I belong to a group of travelers for whom some space and cosy corners to lounge in after a day's city visit are not important.
There will be more inviting hotels at the same prices to stay in Santiago.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2013

The Gen Hotel was a great choice for a quick business trip to Santiago. The rooms are worn and small, but the views from the room and rooftop were excellent once the smog burned off. There is good strong wifi in most of the hotel, the rooftop pool has a beautiful view, and the executive menu in the restaurant was very good.
Unfortunately the blackout curtains don’t reach all the way across the window so once the sun is up the room is very light. It also only has air conditioning in the bedroom, not in the living room or the second bedroom in the suite I was in.
Yliano, Pablo, Rodrigo were very helpful. I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2013

In regards to Gem Hotel, I need to suggest to other travelers to be careful while selecting room type.
Several sites and even Gem hotel's website will show you images that in my view are deceiving and misguiding.

Positive comments, location is relatively close to everything but neighborhood itself is kind of secure as long as you use common sense.
Another positive note, restaurant services are small but kind of fusion-new wave cooking style in a cozy environment.

Negative comments, there is no room service at all so don't expect an immediate response from the front desk.

Likewise, if you request airport transportation to be provided by the hotel, please ensure to have a rate before hand. In my opinion, two times was enough to realize that I was being ripped off by the driver.

Last negative note, housekeeping is poor and you'll need to ensure that your room is truly cleaned and towels exchanged daily.

Good luck all and happy traveling!

Room Tip: Upon arrival, please ensure that your sheets and towels are clean and room itself has been cleaned.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business