“A positive experience”

Ranked #93 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
Ottawa, Canada
“A positive experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I read all comments however, I gave the hotel a chance to show me the real thing. Please, understand this is a very typical medium class hotel in a Hispanic country (being Hispanic myself, I know these things well). Usually north Americans / Canadians / Europeans have higher expectations.
but I have to say it, my experience was very positive. yes, location is a bit noisy, particularly at night. You are located in downtown, this is not ocean view Bahamas style, ok? You are very, very close to all the historical places without being right inside of it. Keep in mind the hotel isnt surrounded by magical landscape, it is a latin american capital city, where hospitals and universities, and hotels and markets all are mixed in a typical disorganized hispanic city. safety? of course is safe with caution. It is a capital, not your small north American town ( and I live in Canada, I can tell).
Room was very clean, room service never was a problem, I left money on the table, never lost a penny. Internet was quite awesome, in fact I was able to Skype with video with family and friends.
I am sure, there are some things that need improvements. Maybe kitchenette should be better equipped, and breakfast, although nice, could be improved.
But I have no complaints. The hotel was really full, and Chilean employees worked their best.
yes, I would recommend it. Plus, is someone had a particularly negative experience (it happens EVERYWHERE), he/she should contact the hotel instead of ranting right here.
Daniel from Canada.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Daniel C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I reviewed all of the bad reviews for Gen Suites. Everything said is true. Kitchenettes they say. Sure, but you have no cups, no plates, no silverware. That's right, not even a cup for water. The condition of this very small unit and the hotel, the food, the neighborhood... All of those comments were true. One thing to add, I was unable to arrive on the first day of my trip from Mendoza due to weather over the Andes. The hotel would not budge on their policy of no refund. I was told a Miss Catalina Nieto would talk to me about it when I arrived. I was treated with indifference by the desk. I asked to speak to Miss Nieto who was there, and furthermore told the staff she would be right down to talk to me. I waited an hour for her in the lobby. She never showed up. Stay Away!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Santiago hotels

Bogotá
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I previously had stayed in the La Sebastiana Suites (not in the center) and the Crowne Hotel which is just a few minutes away from the Gen Suites.

Although I saw different ratings of the GEN - from a very poor up to a excellent - I decided to stay here and see what´s going on.
I boked the hotel through expedia and payed aprox. USD 86/night including breakfast and wifi.

Here are my experiences:
Check-in was not very quick - as I had made my reservations just 3 hours ago, it took them some time to find it.
Normal check in is at 3pm; I arrived at 2pm but was given a room "for courtesy" which was on the 12th floor.
The hotel was clean and nice - the room large and functional: a nice LED TV; a large doublebed, a kitchen with fridge, stove, microwave and utilty sink; plus a water-boiler for preparing some coffee.

I was very surprised - also about the nice and clean decoration.

Internet had some connectivity problems - which were solved after they finally updated the router´s firmware in my appartment.

The appartment also had a small balcony - the view was "regular and normal for downtown santiago". Don´t expect to see too much green when looking out of your window.

The hotel is located a 10 minute walk away from a metro station; and 5-8 minutes from a santa isabel and a Unimarc Supermarket where you find a good variety of "what´s needed".

On the 25th floor, you find an exercise room - and an outdoor pool. Unfortunately it´s autumn there and a bit to cold for the pool.
The exercise room is basic - not really inviting - but OK if you like to work out.
A point which is making the difference, if you compare it e.g. to the IBIS.

Breakfast is also included: the breakfast room was very small and the food very limited (selection of 2 fruits; some breads; yoghurt, milk, coffed and some artificially tasting juice).

There has been some building work going on - in June the hotel will open a new area.
Besides the workers using the lift, the construction work has not affected my stay there any way.

Comments about a "not so safe area" can´t be supported:
Keep in mind that Santiago is a capital - and as in every capital you should be a bit careful.
I walked out at night - no problem at all.

The only "problem" I had, was to find a restaurant at Sunday night at 10 pm, because everything in Santiago seemed to be closed!
I finally ended up at a McD which was about a 20 minutes walk away from the hotel.

Resuming: centrally located; nice; clean; with some nice features like exercise room, kitchen - and good value for your $$$.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank tom_brd
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I was arranging lodging for 20+ people in this hotel so I was in permanent contact with the management staff. For doing business they were OK. Not too much of a hassle, but not proactive either. Once we got there, many people from my party encountered problems with their rooms ranging from already occupied rooms, to non-functioning TVs or ACs, to sharing a balcony with another room, to rooms without security safes, to restrooms with no fresh towels. Front desk staff (except for 2 guys) was not helpful at all or well prepared to handle a fully booked hotel. Also experienced problems with booking spa appointments, and during the two weeks we stayed there, the breakfast buffet never changed and it was basic and so-so.
Personally, I had to change rooms 3 times in 2 weeks. At some point, one of the rooms I stayed at had no security safe and guess what... yes, I was robbed. Granted I could have taken more precautions but I didn't leave my money on top of the nightstand either! When I found out I had been robbed $600 USD and some Chilean pesos, I reported it to the staff. They seemed very concerned and said it had never happened before and that they were going to investigate. They immediately offered to reimburse the money, but I suspect this was some sort of preferential treatment because I was bringing them business for more than USD $15K. After this ordeal and getting my money back, I changed rooms again and refrained from using maid and cleaning service until I checked out. Once I came back to the US I asked for the final bill and surprise! They were overcharging us for almost 5k. It took tens of emails back and forth until I announced that my organization's lawyer was going to start dealing with them because I could no longer handle such a technical issue (not my specialty). Apparently that was an effective deterrent because they immediately dropped the subject. Once I was sure the wire with the money was out, I notified them but never got a reply. In short, if you are going to stay at the hotel, make sure that your room has a safe and don't expect anything fancy. I am sure you can get better lodging for the same money in nearby areas.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Monterey, California
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Great experience and highly recommended. The staff starting form the Reservation Center , The front desk, Housekeeping and the people who are charge of the food are extremely friendly, professional and helpful.We booked only for four days but we decide to stay there for 1 week and a half . A special thanks To Silvana, one of the ladies who is charge in the reservation department.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rpost
Dortmund
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We paid 150 euros for a junior suite. When we arrived they gave a us a key, a metal key...that was suspicious, no new hotel works with metal keys. Well, when we entered to our room there were shoes, sandals and wet towels...yes, it was already occupied. We told this in the reception where the girl -very confident- says, your room is not occupied. ha! well, then we got another room. This room got stains all over, no toilet paper, no shampoo, one wine glass, one cup... the view...well, I got the pictures. This is not a good area...you´ ll see it on the pics.
Do not ever go to this hotel. I´m from Santiago, you can do much better. Listen to the guy who already wrote about the safety things.
The swimming pool was nice, but the glass separating it from the outside was really dirty so you can´t really see the city through it.
After all this we decided to leave the hotel and get our money back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LaViajera2009
Montevideo, Uruguay
Reviewed January 30, 2012

One of the cheapest apart-hotel we could find in Santiago, and the best one we could find.
Great staff. Beautifull room. And Beautiful view.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple