“This is not a hotel.”

Ranked #61 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
London, United Kingdom
“This is not a hotel.”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

To take this review correctly you must understand this is not a hotel. It is an apartment with a hotel desk downstairs next to the apartment concierge. The rooms are actually apartments in an existing block, so your neighbour is likely to be a permanent resident. The rooms are nice enough, and clean. But - there are no real hotel facilities apart from a gym. No dining room etc. Breakfast should be brought up to your room at the time you ask for it on a tray and you eat it in your room. Mine never turned up and it took a couple of phone calls to get it the first day, after an argument that, yes, I had looked in teh 'fridge and no, there was no breakfast in it.. and on the second day it never turned up and since it was crap the first time I never bothered chasing it. The other point that really irritated me was that 'housekeeping' rang the doorbell despite the do not disturb sign to see if I want my room made up. Is it rocket science? which bit of 'no molestar' was proving to be the problem? For that alone I'd never go back and is why I am rating this property 'poor'. What are hotel rooms really for except sleeping ? Oh and don't stay on friday nights unless you like loud music from a nearby bar until 2am. And if you do - don't plan to sleep in or housekeeping will be on your case.... The front desk was helpful and gave me a one hour late check out until 1pm. Guess what - at midday - housekeeping are on the phone chasing .... Shame really because this place is otherwise ok for a few nights stay as an inexpensive base to see the city. Close to Los Leones metro. 20,000 to the airport by cab. I'd try somewhere else in the same area if I went back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank custard_travel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Vaucluse, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed at the RQ Providencia Suites courtesy of LAN who had messed up my flights. As it turned out they also messed up the reservation as the hotel had no knowledge of it. To make matters worse the hotel was fully booked. But a very helpful receptionist, Constanza, found a spare apartment and had it cleaned so that I did not have to go and look for alternative accommodation late at night. The hotel seems to be very popular with locals and reception was constantly busy. My apartment was much too large for the 7 hours I spent inside it. It had a bedroom, a living room, kitchen corner and bathroom. Everything was neat and tidy, although the furniture looked a bit worn. From what little I saw of the neighbourhood it appeared to be quite lively, there was a sushi place across the road and quite a few restaurants around the corner. The hotel itself is in a no-traffic zone, so it is pretty quiet. Public transport is not far away, so it's really quite a good place for an affordable stay. Just be warned that taxi drivers at the airport don't seem to have any knowledge of the RQ, they had discussions about it and then my driver still had to ring someone who could tell him where the hotel was and how to get there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed there with my girlfriends for a short trip to Santiago. I read a lot of bad reviews about this Hotel and I was really nervous to find a horrible staff and hotel. However my stay was really nice. For staying in this Hotel you have to have in mind that is an Apartment Hotel. So some rooms are for people who actually live there and some rooms are destined to the Hotel. Said that, do not except for a full trained and equipped Hotel.
The staff in general was really helpful and helped us with all the things that we needed. About the breakfast, I do have to say that you have to tell the front desk what time you want to be delivered. The bad thing is that you have to tell them everyday what is the time you want for the next day deliver. The good side is that having breakfast at you room is a lot more convenient. And having a full equip kitchen was an extra plus for us, because we could make Hot Tea at Night.
If you need wifi do not stay at this Hotel, because it's doesn't work.
I would stay at this Hotel again.

Room Tip: The street is noisy so If you looking for a quit room, do not take the street side. can be a lot noi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nicole S
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This property looks ok from the outside. The rooms are fair at best from the inside. Not the cleanest, but not the dirtiest.. The a/c is very weak. Oh, and the wifi does not work--so no internet & no skype or viber calls to friends back home. The included breakfast service simply does not happen. An alarm bell rings at random times day and night nearby.

None of this is resolved when approaching the staff. They are incompetent at best & uncooperative at worst. I am disputing my charges through hotels.com & the staff will not cooperate with them, either. I checked out 3 nights into a 19 night stay.

While the property is located close to public transit (Metro 1a, Los Leones), the plaza out front is overrun by aggressive vagrants & sick stray dogs at night. Keep this in mind if you were thinking of dining on the outdoor terrace at Mamut.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kram_Worldwide
Angelholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 11, 2012

It was an apartment with an ordinary standard but the staff service was not that good. I had too wait for the breakfast for three hours and it came to the room after three reminders. If you are looking forward to use a swimmingpool, don`t use this hotel. The pool is located on the backside without sunshine every time of the day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jan G
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed April 3, 2012

On arrival I was told my room was not ready which was fair enough but I had to spend 10 minutes running between the front desk and my car in order to access the un-signposted and obscure parking location.
I asked if they would look after my two bags and a jacket. They did by leaving them in front of the front desk accessible to anyone as when I returned there was no one at the front desk. The desk incidentally has seen far better days as had the attitude of the girl behind the desk who was off-hand, brusque and not what you would expect from a hotel charging in excess of US$500 per night!
When I did return I was told that they had made an error in the booking adn I would need to move to another of their hotels at their expense. It was too far away from where I needed to be and would have required em to take the metro to get to my meetings from that hotel not to mention the hassle of packing up and relocating and the time involved in doing so. I realise this happens from time to time and normally had they told me as soon as I arrived I could have made other arrangements to wait for me to return when they had all my contact details is just plain lazy.
I checked out as soon as I could and made other arrangements.
The rooms were OK but nothing to warrant US$500 closer to the US$120-160 mark would have been more appropriate in my book. When coupled with the shoddy service and unhelpful staff I would avoid this place which is a shame as it is in a reasonably good location.

Room Tip: Stay at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TripMember020920162
Alameda, California
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I traveled solo in the last weeks of December, never having been to this city before and knowing nothing about the neighborhoods...a shot in the dark. This hotel is very clean, very convenient to the Metro, and a good walking base.
Small studio-sizes apartment.
I needed wi-fi not cable, and by accepting a second floor room with no view, I had free wi-fi and a fairly quiet room. The biggest noise was during the day from the lobby.
Location is safe, lots of choices for shopping and restaurants.
I don't speak Spanish and most of the help doesn't speak English, but we communicated just fine.
The comment about towels being grey is true, but it is a very minor complaint since the place is spotless.
My only complaint is that the energy saving motion-detecting lighting in the stairs and hallways are very dim and slow to work when you are coming back at night.
I'd recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo