“Fantastic”

Ranked #4 of 196 Hotels in Santiago
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This is a very very good hotel. I have reviewed 5 star hotels in Europe and America and The Aubrey is now in my top ten. Excellent staff, excellent food and wonderful rooms, it is truly hard to fault this hotel. On top of this the location is fantastic, being right near the zoo etc, and in the district of Bellavista which is full of bars and restaurants.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a suite it was incredible!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

I can't say enough about the service at this hotel. From the front desk to the breakfast attendant, everyone was cheerful, kind and helpful (and spoke commendable English, particularly in comparison with my poor Spanish). Breakfast (included) was a great spread of fruit, yogurt, pastries, and eggs cooked to order. The grounds are beautifully kept and are lovely for relaxing. I loved the character of the hotel and the surrounding neighborhood. It was convenient to many good restaurants and the main tourist attractions.

My only nit is that the neighborhood is lively and got quite loud late at night (1 a.m. and on). The noise was not coming from the property, but nevertheless was a bit of an annoyance on Thursday and Friday (Wednesday was very quiet). We didn't bring this to the attention of hotel staff, as it wasn't too big of an issue. I would return to this hotel without reservation, but perhaps with ear plugs if for a weekend stay (or maybe ask for a room in the back).

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank eca5416
nyc
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I loved everything about this hotel, but in particular the terrific staff. Everyone was nice and helpful. Most notably, they were kind enough to give me a late checkout (4pm) without me really even asking---it was great to be able to take a quick dip in the pool and shower after a day of running around the city before my long, overnight flight to NYC. Many boutique hotels have nice properties, but fall down on the service, this is definitely NOT the case here. From providing me information and making reservations via email, to getting me transport to and from the airport, to recommending a wonderful place for a coffee (actually called Wonderful!) to giving me directions, I was more than pleased with the service. While I dealt with everyone in spanish, for those who don't speak spanish, I think everyone spoke excellent english.

I stayed in one of the loft rooms--which I found cozy (although a tall person might not like this as it was in some respects like an attic room with dormers) with a cute alcove for lounging. My room was very clean.The wifi worked very well for me, both in the rooms and in the common areas. The pool area was nice, I wish I had more time to relax there. The breakfast was a full breakfast-eggs cooked to order, fresh coffee, pastries, fruit, etc, and my server was super cheerful and had the most infectious laugh--a great way to start the day.

The Bellavista neighborhood is quite lively, with lots of restaurants and bars, but walkable to a park for a run and also to the fine arts museum, the metro among other things. Behind the hotel is another park, and the zoo.

The only negative I have is that I wish I had been able to spend more time at the Aubrey. If I am back in Santiago, I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: lofts may not be good for tall people
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank valerie721
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

This hotel is very well located at the foot of the giant Metropolitan Park in Santiago, within steps of the bohemian and arty Bella Vista neighbourhood. The property itself is beautiful, staffed by wonderfully friendly people.

But my first impression was not great. Upon check-in late in the evening, I was told that the locks to my room door was not working properly (so I needed to use an old-fashioned key instead of the more convenient credit-card proximity key). The room safe was flashing "low-battery" and got locked out when I attempted to use it. The Internet refused to work ... But a testament to the great staff here is that the ever helpful Diego was not going to be defeated. One by one, he resolved my issues cheerfully.

I must say I didn't like the room allocated to me (Room 5 - a Loft room). I know it said "loft", but I must confess that I didn't expect the low intrusive ceiling over most of the room. I felt claustrophobic in that environment.

Again, another testament to the length the staff goes to please their customers, I was upgraded to a suite (Room 1), which was a beautifully spacious room with a balcony overlooking the pool.

A review of this hotel would not be complete without mentioning the wonderfully friendly and vivacious breakfast staff (I'm sorry I don't have the name - you know who you are) who greets you with the most wonderful and cheerful smile every morning.

This is a very private and quiet property. The restaurant was closed on Sundays, so unfortunately I did not get to sample the well-regarded restaurant.

Room Tip: I suppose avoid Room 5 (a Loft room) ... unless you like a smallish room with very low ceiling; Room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed November 2, 2012

A very good surprise this hotel. Good service, very nice staff and beautiful taste. Never thought i'll ever visit Santiago, but now it will be on my return list.
The best part: the restaurant!!!!! The wagyu.....so good!! And the deserts...it was a pity to eat it! They we're simply ART!!
I travel a lot and really this hotel is one of the best that i've been in.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Levis, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We are design fan and like to stay in Boutique Hotel. The Aubrey met our expectation, The Cero San Cristobal suite is very nice, large room, nice terrace with the view on the garden. The noise from the outside bar is a problem and when they have a special even like during our stay ( fashion show) it could be a negative point for this room. All the layout in the garden is well done, the pool area is special but not enough long chairs if the weather bring all the guests out at the end of the day. The dinning experience was excellent, the best meal we had in Santiago, they just did a new menu and the waiter ask how we like our choice. Great service every where, breakfast with good choices, front desk people were very attentive, suggest us a very good private guide . We ask for a late check out and they offer acces to a room before our leaving. The only negative point is the hard wood floor in our room, was dirty and need a big cleaning. Toiletteries could be better for this kind of hotel, liquid soap without label in the shower is not a good choice. We love this hotel and we will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms on front street are more quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights on our first trip to South America, let alone Santiago. The hotel is in a really exciting neighborbood. We felt very safe walking from the hotel to a variety of restaurants - from casual to nice. We also took a longer walk to the central square in the city, the Santiago Cathedral and most importantly to Starbucks!! But this is the type of hotel where you may not choose to leave at all. The premises are first-class. The design from the pool area to the bar and everywhere else is interesting and modern. We were in Room 3 and really enjoyed our balcony. The doors on the rooms don't have the room numbers. I liked this touch as it made it seem even more familiar. The bed was very comfortable and we appreciated all of the complimentary bottled water. The entire bar/restaurant staff that we interacted with were really welcoming and personable. Because the bar is so nice, we were a little disappointed that it was closed to hotel guests for private events for two of the nights. I'm guessing this is fairly unusual and it was possible to get a drink in the restaurant - which worked out fine. They also offered us a bottle of champagne for the inconvenience. There was a piano in the restaurant, but it wasn't played while we were there. The breakfast is really fantastic with a most enthusiastic worker. We were always able to get WiFi on the grounds, but it wasn't always dependable in our room. In general they are able to resolve WiFi challenges and the customer experienced we received on this issue was unique. The pool, the bar, the bed and the breakfast truly make this an experience that you will remember for a long time - we highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple