“Good hostel, RUDE staff”
Review of Hostal de la Barra

Hostal de la Barra
Ranked #60 of 484 Specialty Lodging in Santiago
New Haven, Connecticut
“Good hostel, RUDE staff”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The hostel itself is nice (overpriced, though -- I came back through Santiago and found one for way cheaper) and comfortable and clean. Breakfast is included. Internet wasn't always available, however, and was pretty unreliable. My main qualm is how unbelievably rude the staff were. They were often outside smoking instead of answering questions at the desk. Note that there are a few other reviewers who said the same thing about the staff. If you're over the age of 30 and staying there, they're probably nice to you, but they were obnoxious to anyone younger.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
hostaldelabarra, Owner at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Hi, thanks for your review. Most of the facts described are totally right but the explanations may be a little different from what you saw.

This is not the cheapest hostel and our shared rooms are always $2 more expensive than other hostels around there, but there is a reason for it. We are not just a comfortable and clean hostel, we bring a hotel quality bed, a spotless place and...at the best location ever. If we want to offer you the cleanest rooms, with hotel quality beds at the best location, as company we have to pay more for that and charge a couple of extra bucks for that also. At hostel de la barra we do believe those extra $2 are the best bussines you can do. About private rooms.....we are really out of hostel standards, ours are so full of love and care that you´ll feel like home. To be honest, you can find a couple of other hostels with the same kind of offer but......in other locations.......

About staff, let´s say that this is a no smoking hostel, no exceptions. So the staff must smoke outside also, but that "outside" means 3 meters from the front desk behind the glass window so it is never unattended. Our offer is family ambience, no uniforms here for the staff, not "only behind the front desk" kind of service but an always available service to help our visits. If it seemed different to you we apologise for that and we´ll take care to show better that we are always there for help.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I have stayed at a few hostels in my time traveling through South America, but Hostal de la Barra was one of my favorites. I stayed at three different hostals in Santiago and this one was the one I returned to while in Santiago. I stayed by myself a few times and once with my sister who has never traveled outside the country. The people who worked the desk did speak English. It was in the heart of Bella Artes(which has a museum of art), a short 5 minute walk to Santa Lucia, a hill where you can see the majority of Santiago on a clear day(go the day after it rains). Near many restaurants and a quick trip to the where all the night life is in Stgo: Bella Vista. There is also a disco around the corner that plays mostly American dance music, not much reggaeton. I lived in Chile for a year and it was nice to dance to something in English or that I had heard before. The beds were new and comfortable. The downstairs and upstairs had some cool lounge areas to meet other travelers, have a drink or two. Staff was fun, easy to talk to..

Room Tip: it's a Hostal...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 12, 2012

It was also my first time staying at a hostel and I had seen previous reviews, some who recommended and some who didn't give the full stars. I could honestly say, I was worried at first because you have this idea of hostels before you actually stay in one. But, it turns out my experience at Hostal de la Barra was great! I arrived late in the night, probably early morning (I can't remember, I was so tired from my plane ride) but the hostel attendant was very kind and helpful! I thought I had to speak in Spanish but the staff knew both English and Spanish! The accommodations were great, and although I only stayed a few nights, I would definitely stay at Hostal de la Barra when I visit Chile again. Great hostel, great staff, great time! What more could you ask for??? Muchas Gracias Hostal de la Barra for putting me "at ease" for my first stay in a hostal!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
hostaldelabarra, General Manager at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thank you for your valuable feedback. It is very important for us!
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed April 27, 2012

We stayed here only for one night, but it was enough to get angry with the staff. The attendant was rude every time I had to talk to her. She even “reminded” me that I haven’t paid yet instead of saying good morning. It was ridiculous! My entire luggage was still in the bedroom. It seemed like I was trying to run away.
We also had a problem with the breakfast. The breakfast was in a coffee house nearby, and started at 9h30. 9h30 we were there (we had to catch a plane), and they were just opening the coffee house. We had to wait for about 30 minutes, and swallowed the breakfast in 5 minutes (the breakfast, btw, was very good).
The bedroom was good, but as the hostel is very small, so people talking in the common area in the morning was disturbing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Bogota
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Was my first time in a hostal , all my fears dissapear at the first moment there.. really feel like home, excelent customer service , Maria Jose and staff always had a good attitude, professionalism and help me with everything I need. Love the hostal location, was my first time in Santiago and I loved all the turistic sites were so close! :) its a good tip for all of u :)
2 of my favorites momments there was the breakfast and the Free Pisco Hour, gives you the opportunity to share with people of many nationalities and make friends,really share experiences at that time, and the breaksfast are sooo good :)
Like everyone, we like clean, safe, comfortable, economical and easily accessible hostals... thats what I find in Hostal de la Barra, plus you can meet incredible people :)
Nathaly G. - Colombia

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
hostaldelabarra, Owner at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Nathaly,

thank you very much for taking the time to write the staff so nice words.
We have the better location in the city and there´s nothing to improve about that, but knowing that our hospitality and cleanning goals are reached make us a great day. That´s what we work for.....

Thanks again

The staff
Belém, Pará, Brazil
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Broke in Brazil alone and without knowing anything about the destination of choice for me. At the airport in Brazil prior to shipment to Santiago has had the help of a Chilean who was very nice and gave me many tips. When I arrived in Chile a taxi driver also gave me several tips on transportation, recreation, food and tourism within the city, I immediately thought the Chilean people and very courteous and helpful, I liked very much. The hotel where I was so very nice, people who knew there were quite a few friends and I have nothing to complain, only to thank the wonderful people of Chile for three days excellent. Thank you for everything Maria Jose ', Tiari and Marisol for the hospitality and friendship. I always recommend Santiago and especially girls at the Hostal de la Barra. You can go!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Hi Celio, sorry for the delay asnwering your kind review. We really appreciate it.
You are always wellcome!
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed for almost a week there, with some friends, and we've been treated really kind! Every person in the staff has been very thoughful and helpful. And we received many good vibes talking and sharing moments with these people in charge.
One more thing, it is not true what they say about breakfast! Everyday we had lots of good stuff to begin the day with our bellies full =)
Greetings from Argentina!

Diego L.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
hostaldelabarra, General Manager at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, April 5, 2012
Hi Diego,

thanks for your good vibes and taking the time to write us. As I heard from María José, the staff enjoyed your stay very much. We are a small hostel and the place runs more like a house than a hostel, that´s why even though we make mistakes we always try to get better.

I notice your cleanliness evaluation was not 5 points. In the future, if something regarding cleaniless is not perfect for you please tell María José or Marisol inmediately. We all make huge efforts to keep the place spotless and so should be.

Thanks again for your staying and your review,

Eduardo