“Good, clean, small, cosy and great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostal de la Barra

Hostal de la Barra
Ranked #57 of 475 Specialty Lodging in Santiago
The Hague, The Netherlands
“Good, clean, small, cosy and great location”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights and the location is great.... The room with bathroom was very good; large, clean, and despite is faced the busy street is was relatively quiet.

The place is close to some good bars, restaurants, coffee bars (the neighbors)..

The only minus point was that the airport pickup we arranged via them did not show up (but this can happen) and the staff refunded us.

in short: a good place to stay :)!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Niels_Maaike_NL
hostaldelabarra, Propietario at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Thank you Maaike!!
was nice to have you here

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed in the Hostal de la Barra last year.
In fact, it was my first hostel ever. I am a quite experienced traveler, traveling both for work and as a tourist.
What made this place special for me was the hostel crew, specially the receptionist named Maria Jose.
I was traveling alone and my Spanish is horrible. Thank God I found that beautiful attentive English speaker employee! She gave me some Santiago tips (where to go, where to visit, what to buy), was always very polite (but comfortably informal) and proactive.
I am sure that once I return to Santiago, Hostel de la Barra will be my choice!!!
And of course I would (and I always do) recommend there to my friends!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
hostaldelabarra, Front Office Manager at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, December 21, 2011
;) Thaaaaaankkk Youuuuuuuuu!
Novo Hamburgo, RS
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I really liked to have stayed at Hostal de la Barra. Place clean and organized,
with great care and close to everything.
The staff is extremely friendly, kind and dedicated.
Approve and recommended for all

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
hostaldelabarra, Owner at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thanks very much for your kind review. Hope to see you again!
Santo Andre, SP
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Very well located hostal in Bellas Artes neighborhood. Clean, comfortable beds, a simple but good breakfast, free wi-fi and a very helpful staff. When I'll back to Santiago I'll be in this hostal again! Reccommended!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
hostaldelabarra, General Manager at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Thank you very much, we also enjoyed your stay. You are always welcome
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Hostel de la Barra. It was the cleanest hostel by far with the best beds and linen. It was almost as good as home. The staff were really friendly and helpful as well. I will definitely stay again if I ever return to Santiago.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karlina_ag
hostaldelabarra, Owner at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Thanks you very much! Nice to hear you felt as home, best compliment!
Hope to see you again very soon!
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I found the staff to be really friendly and helpful, and they helped me practice my espanol
The rooms are really nice! The beds are new, very comfortable, the best we have used on our 4 months so far in South America! And there are big lockers for your belongings.

Great location - If you are busing in, take the RedMetro near the main bus terminals into Santa Lucia and its only a 4 or 5 block walk. The main plaza in the centre is only 5 or so blocks away, the famous fish market is 5 blocks away, Bella Vista is 10-15mins walk, Cerro San Cristobal is 15-20mins, the Santa Lucia hill (Castillo Hideglo) is 100m away, and the Santa Lucia Feria is 5mins walk. A nice park is only 1 block which I used a few times for morning runs. There are funky cafes on the same block as the Hostal, and several more 2 blocks to the West. The closest supermarket is only 200m away.

Thing I liked best: Very comfortable, not a party hostal.
Thing I liked least: No real kitchen, only a kitchenete for only simple dinners. But then breakfast is included.

Room Tip: There is a private room off the road
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much! Is difficult to talk about ourselves but we do have the best location in the city!! and we are proud of it...so it´s very nice you took advantage from it.

have a good trip and thanks for staying with us and write a review!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I booked my stay at the Hostal de la Barra with Venere.comt. My reservation was confirmed. I got to the hostel late at night to find that they were full and did not have any reservation for me. I was fortunate the staff was very helpful and find for me an available room at a close by hotel.

This is the first time I have such a problem booking through TripAdvisor and it was not fun at all.

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
hostaldelabarra, Owner at Hostal de la Barra, responded to this review, April 5, 2011
We are very sorry to hear that happened to you. As we are a very small boutique hostel overbooking is allways critic and under control, however this time due to the huge demand in Santiago because of Lollapalooza we make a mistake and received a couple of guys that swore they had confirmed their booking by phone, what seems no to be neccesary true.

As a result of this we have changed our reservation policies shown in the website and reservations will always be received only by email.

I am happy to hear you get a solution from our staff because wasnt easy to find a place in Santiago last weekend. You are very weolcome in the future and I am sure you´d have a great stay.

Thanks